Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark 45C Transmission

MJS Services ยท 2013-07-03 22:08

I have a Clark 45C with a Detroit 453N, seems to be a low hour machine very tight, issue im having is the transmission i dont know if this is normal but its a very sluggish transmission, 1st gear is great lots of power spins the tires when scooping into hard blacktop millings 2nd gear wont spin tires at all, but will still has enough push into the pile working the bucket, 3rd gear is sluggish but will get up to speed on the road, Cold weather operation is horrible till the trans warms up, for warming up maybe 130 to 140 needle on the gauge doesnt get up to the 150 mark and is starts at 150, I let it run for a half hour in 35 degree weather then tried driving it to a job site for snow plowing 3rd gear and about 8 mph? for about 5+ miles then it started to get speed going, is this normal for a Clark? I have a Dresser 515b this machine is twice as fast in 2nd gear and will spin the tires!

Replies6
  1. #1mikebramel2013-07-04 04:01

    Sounds like it has some wear inside so someone put gear oil in it to take up clearance. Too high viscosity is why it would not work cold

  2. #2MJS Services2013-07-04 10:24

    Trans was full of clean red ATF when I bought it and I changed it and a new filter, I used Kendal Versa Trans ATF

  3. #3mikebramel2013-07-04 16:49

    The fact that the performance is weak while cold says there is a restriction somewhere before the fluid loses viscosity and can flow adequetely through that restriction

  4. #4MJS Services2013-07-05 00:11

    I got a parts manual and found a screen, Ill have to check it, hope that clears the problem up, Thanks

  5. #5MJS Services2013-07-05 22:58

    I removed the screen today, it was clean, thats not the problem,

  6. #6mikebramel2013-07-06 00:28

    The next step would be to see what your line pressures are forward reverse hot cold