Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark C500-20 Forklift Question About Brakes 1973

Mark B ยท 2013-02-19 20:42

Unit was in 10" of water from Sandy flood, now the brake pedal is hard and does not push down at all. I took off the left tire and drum and only found a planetary gear and the drum had the other gear to run the wheel. I found no brake shoes. I'm looking for help to find where the brakes are located on the unit. Clark C500-20 1973 model.

Replies1
  1. #1TD242013-02-20 22:11

    Put your "drum" back on, go deeper. Disconnect the brake line at top. Remove a bunch of bolts around the oval casting. Grab the lug bolts (2) and jerk, wiggle and pull. You will have the "axle end" as Clark calls it. Set it on the floor, blocked up with the splined end up. Look down on it and remove the snap ring. Lift off the brake drum. Wa Lah... Brake shoes. When you pull the axle end out, you may lose some trans fluid unless you have the front end up fairly high. The seal in the hole should be replaced when you go back, or you can do it all again later due to trans fluid dripping from the weep hole at the bottom. Get it down, your parts, build up the axle end stuff. Post me and I will offer some guidance to replacing the seals. Don't tear in there blindly and drop the chunk off the pinion and into the bottom of the case.