Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark C500-40, Propane leak

rust farmer ยท 2014-08-15 06:40

I just bought a little Clark forklift, model C500-40. It's in pretty good shape, but as I run it I'm smelling propane. I was wondering if someone could tell me where to start looking for a leak. I was thinking of just mixing up some soapy water and spray it on every hose to see if any bubbles show up. I am also looking for a service manual for this machine so I can do my own repairs in the future. I am looking forward to reading your comments. Thanks.

Replies9
  1. #1BillG2014-08-15 08:31

    Your soapy water is a good way to test. Do you only smell propane while it is running but not when it is off? If that is the case, start testing after the lockoff valve (little electric valve in line). Post a picture of your system, it may be the original pressurized carb, or it may have been converted. Also make sure that it is not the exhaust that you are smelling, quite often folks will mistake a rich exhaust smell for raw propane.

  2. #2rust farmer2014-08-15 21:47

    Thanks for the advice BillG. The soapy water did the trick, I found the leak right away. I would still like to find a service manual for this machine so I can fix a few other things that need attention. If anyone knows where I can find a service manual for my machine let me know. Thanks.

  3. #3BillG2014-08-16 09:19

    I will need the complete model and serial number. I will then look through what I have, what areas need repair? I also have some sections for specific areas.

  4. #4OFF2014-08-16 10:11

    Like BillG says, Clark called pretty much everything C500 for a while. Could be anything from a 3000lb indoor machine to a 20,000lb RT. I've got a few different manuals in the C500 family also.

  5. #5rust farmer2014-08-16 11:04

    The other issue is, I noticed a few drips coming from the front axle. I'm pretty sure the seals have never been changes. I have never been into a front fork truck axle so I want a service manual to see what I'm getting into. I'm going to attempt to load a few images to help identify what manual I am going to need. I hope I did this right.

  6. #6210craig2014-08-25 12:13

    Hey, what year is your c-500? I have one that looks almost identical. Mines an 82. I been working on it over the past 2 months. It had no brakes, so I took the axle assemblies off. Boy once you get into there everything needs replaced. I had to change the bearing carrier seals (seals between diff and brake housing. New brake shoes, wheel cylinders (completely seized), new adjusters, new master cyl (main and inching). I don't know if you have any manuals. I found one which is actually an Army manual (just google below). Its for a c-500-45, which I believe it is the same as a 40 except pneumatic wheels. But the rest of it is identical. Really has help me. TM-10-3930-647-14-P Truck Forklift Gasoline Engine Driven Pneumatic Tires 4000-lb Capacity 144-In Lift Height Clark Model C500Y45 MHE 243 Manual

  7. #7rust farmer2014-08-25 17:01

    Thanks for the information 210craig. I don't really know much about my forklift because I have only owned it for about a month. I don't know what year the lift is, I was more concerned that everything operated correctly when I purchased it. I am looking for some manuals for this machine so I can do some maintenance on it. I did replace a LP supply hose the first week I owned it because I could smell propane while it was running. If anyone knows of a good web site that supplies parts or manuals please let me know. Thanks.

  8. #8210craig2014-08-25 21:26

    Go to the clark website , I believe clarkmhc.com look for the support link and request a line card. Send them model and serial number and they will email you the line card it will tell you when it was made who the original owner and all the options it came with. Take that to you local Clark dealer and they can make you a parts manual. Its handy because it has parts diagrams. Down load the manual I gave you in the prev post and with some basic mechanical skills you can do a lot. Just be prepared for some sticker shock on parts. I have bought a small box of parts and spent almost $500.00.?

  9. #9rust farmer2014-08-26 05:33

    Thanks for the help 210craig. After working on tractors and machine tools for the last thirty years, the price of parts does not shock me too bad. I am used to the jacked up over inflated prices of parts.