Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark C500-45 Engine

Joe Way ยท 2020-09-07 17:49

I'm looking at a C500 with first digits of serial 355. It has not run for 2-3 years. The engine is known to leak water into the oil and is currently stuck. I believe it is a Clark/Waukesha. It's an overhead valve propane engine with Clark on the rocker cover. How likely am I to find a good used engine or a rebuildable core? Can anyone recommend a forklift salvage yard on the US west coast? I will probably buy it regardless as I can get it for less than scrap value and it has a three-stage mast with side shift. I think I can fit the mast assembly onto my C300-40 (two-stage, no shift). But--I would much prefer to fix it and sell the C300.

Replies2
  1. #1kshansen2020-09-08 10:06

    Maybe post a picture or two of the engine, that might give a clue as to what it is.

  2. #2TD242020-09-08 15:30

    Engine will be a Waukesha G-155. Joseph Industries is your place to get a rebuilt engine. (Try Joseph.com) Those engines were known to APPEAR to have water to oil leaks . If the truck was only sporadically run for short times, and never run up to op temp and used till hot, condensation would appear like clabbered milk on the dipstick and oil filler cap. They have large water jackets and thermostats. The truck probably has the thermostat left the factory with. I would advise trying to bar it over to free up. If can get it in condition to test compression, a blown head gasket may be your trouble. This engine has a balancer which is a big part of a rebuild. Be wary of inexperienced rebuild shops quotes. Get the FULL serial number from data plate or off RH side of fame. It should read like C500-45 355-xxxx-xxxx. The 355 just says if is between 3000 and 5500 pounds capacity.