Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark CDP 25 FIP Replacement

Nige · 2023-05-31 14:29

Need some help on this one. #3 son has been tasked with replacing the FIP on this Clark forklift with a Perkins engine. I'm trying to help him from a distance of about 5000 miles........ First question is what is the timing procedure and is there a pin in the engine somewhere.?

Replies10
  1. #1Acecadet2023-06-01 05:04

    I believe the UA indicates it is a 704.30 engine. Here is a manual I found on it. https://www.dieselmann.no/files/Håndbøker/Verksted håndbøker/700 Serie Workshop Manual.pdf Looks to be a cam actuated fuel pump, so no need to pin the engine. Just have to be careful with the governor linkage. I believe page 150 is what you are looking for. As for timing, I’m pretty sure these types of engines just use shims or different thickness gaskets under the pump to set the timing.

  2. #2Vetech632023-06-01 08:07

    I believe so too.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2023-06-01 09:27

    Tamper proof (headless) screws.. take a small chisel and walk them out.. Timing is done w shims UNDER the pump mounting flange.. Just reuse what u take out.. Good luck

  4. #4Nige2023-06-01 10:56

    Thanks for the information & suggestions gents. I'll let you know how it goes.

  5. #5Nige2023-06-25 06:00

    Soooooo…….. I get to find out that the reason they wanted to replace the FIP was that the engine RPM would not come back to idle correctly or fast enough. Having downloaded the engine manual that @Acecadet kindly linked above when the cover was pulled off the side of the FIP to access the two springs for the governor control one of them was missing…!! I guess it must have broken and landed (hopefully) in the oil pan. Any thoughts about whether to drop the pan and go looking for it or simply leave it be.?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2023-06-25 06:07

    What manual.?? What spring.?? The spring on the pump control rack.??

  7. #7thepumpguysc2023-06-25 08:29

    It’s probably laying below the little camshaft but you’ll have to remove the pump inorder to get a magnet or your fingers in there.. It’s just a “hair wound” spring, so if it did end up in some gears, they would eat it up w/o missing a beat..

  8. #8Nige2023-06-25 08:52

    This one. See post #2 above - https://www.dieselmann.no/files/Håndbøker/Verksted håndbøker/700 Serie Workshop Manual.pdf I’ve asked him for a photo. I’ll post it up later.

  9. #9Nige2023-06-25 10:10

    Here’s the photo looking in the side of the pump with the inspection cover removed. The anchor for the spring is visible in the top right.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2023-06-25 13:03

    Yep.. Inorder to get better access, u/he should remove the pump from its governor.. That way u/he can see if the old spring/s are still hooked up. Worst comes to worse, bend a new coil from the old spring and call it a day.. (30 minute job)