Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark forklift locked up motor , torque converter stuck , what have I done?

Daniel Hyster ยท 2022-05-16 09:38

I picked up a Clark GPS30 , the motor is locked up , so therefore I could not unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel, Well after lots of prying the converter is out , there is a gear on the end of it , that looks like it was driving a chain. I have seen a broken bearing cage , roller bearing , not ball bearing. and took the seal out too.What have I done , I was thinking it would be like a car , and the converter would just slide out , but no. Do I have to remove the trans to fix it ? Thanks Daniel Cross

Replies9
  1. #1TD242022-05-30 13:10

    Can you post the complete model/serial number sequence off the data plate? Might be able to figure out something from there.

  2. #2Daniel Hyster2022-05-30 22:43

    Thanks for your help , The numbers on it are , GP138MC-0110-6420FA 9490 I think I will have to remove the mast , then trans , I saw pieces of what looked like timing chain links , I will have to replace that , the bearing and seal at least , Right now with the motor out, the back of the trans is hanging down , and doesn't want to go back up for some reason ? The "locked up" motor has a spun #4 rod bearing , during dissembley I found the main bearings were installed incorrectly , what should have been in the cap's was in the block , restricted oil flow to the rod's. The whole forklift had been " remaned" There is a rebuilder tag on the motor , you can still see the hone marks at the top of the cylinder walls , the forklift has fresh paint , new seat etc so I guess the chain that drives off the converter , drives pumps ? etc ? Is it normal for the back of the trans to be so stubborn to get it back up ? Many Thanks Daniel

  3. #3TD242022-05-31 15:18

    Trans hanging down- On the older trucks, this would be from the fact the trans/diff housing pivots on the frame mountings. The weight of the truck on the tires is forcing it to pivot the trans/converter end down. We always hooked a come along to the top of the trans housing before removing the engine. Kept all level. Should pivot back up level. No need to pull and go into trans right now.. Did you damage the T/C to flywheel mounting plate in your prying it out? Pics: Of what you have removed, the T/C, and this gear. A shot looking into the trans open end would help.Older truck used a flanged gear, fitting over the T/C snout to reach upwards and drive the trans charging pump. No chain in it. Suggest you spend some time on fixing the engine and let this other wait a bit. I will do some research and be back.

  4. #4TD242022-05-31 20:58

    Send me your email address as I will try to get you a "Line Card" of its components that may be of help to you. Send to " [email protected]

  5. #5Daniel Hyster2022-06-02 19:57

    You can see the chain , and the out of place seal {green} There was no prying on the flex plate . Thanks

  6. #6Daniel Hyster2022-06-02 20:00

    some bearing parts

  7. #7Daniel Hyster2022-06-02 20:02

    Converter

  8. #8TD242022-06-07 16:32

    I have obtained a used parts book for a model GP138MC at my cost of $12.50. I have obtained a line card of components truck was built by at no charge. If you desire either or both, please e mail me at: [email protected] so we might arrange to get them to you. TD24

  9. #9TD242022-06-09 15:07

    He replied to me direct. Only needed the line card info, had already gotten a "manual". Line card was e-mailed direct to him.