Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark forklift problems

barklee ยท 2013-03-23 21:20

I have an older 1989 clark forklift, i am assuming 4000# or 5000# LP truck. It has been sitting for about 4 years and i tried to get it back to running today. The problem i have is its pouring LP out of the air filter canister. What could that be? Im thinking something simple because the thing ran fine when it was parked. The engine is a Continental F163 LP engine. Thanks!!

Replies6
  1. #1willie592013-03-23 21:55

    99% of propane problems on industrial engines is with the vaporizer. One that's been sitting for 4 yrs, I'd replace that vaporizer. Aside from that could have a stuck diaphragm in the carb. What propane vaporizer and carb does it have on it?

  2. #2barklee2013-03-23 22:50

    Not sure on the carb but the vaporizer is a Zenith A962. Problem is that its against the wall and i cant get the drivers door open to inspect. The vaporizer is on the passingers side. I thought the same thing and called the lift truck dealer in my area and they dont have a rebuild kit for it. Is there a cheap direct replacement or should i stick with rebuilding it? Also, i guess how would i determine thats the problem for sure?

  3. #3willie592013-03-23 23:14

    I've never worked on Zenith propane components, not familiar with them, can't really offer any advice on troubleshooting them. But regardless of brand, if it's a no run engine, I would definitely go into the vaporizer, rebuild or replace, it's the most common problem. Also should check vacuum lock off if it has one, they typically have a filter media inside them. Not saying it's a for sure, but if it has a Zenith vaporizer, likely has a Zenith carb as well. Maybe you can get some info here > http://www.usgemini.com/Zenith.html

  4. #4barklee2013-03-23 23:20

    I would say that link has the correct rebuild kit. Thanks, thats cheaper than i expected! What and where would the vacuum lock off be located?

  5. #5willie592013-03-23 23:58

    A vacuum lock off is typically located in the fuel supply line between tank and vaporizer, has a vacuum line that goes to intake to operate lock off.

  6. #6P.Don2013-04-29 12:19

    Rebuild is definitely on the cards. Checkout http://www.panaceaco.com/caterpillar-forklift-parts.php . I am sure you will get rebuilt kit or Cat parts here .