Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Claystone.. hard pack.

70 eliminator ยท 2024-10-10 00:22

I'm digging a site and it has extremely compacted clay and sand mix. It's extremely hard like frozen ground or pretty soft sandstone. I think it's called claystone. Anyway the biggest problem I think is cuz I'm working from below. And unlimited on digging force without lifting the front of the machine. So working from above reaching down I think I'd have more power. Working on the face All I can do for certain portions of the site. It's is just shaving at it. I stick the teeth in about an inch push down and curl off about 1 in material at a time which is ridiculously stupid and eats up teeth. I can't break large chunks off without getting the angles just right I switched too much smaller bucket but I simply can't penetrate the material with the smallish machine. I've got caterpillar bucket with penetration teeth. I got regular Hensley x156. And I got some 23 series rocking spade teeth. And none of them seem to work when I'm working from below. It's definitely not a mini machine. It's basically as powerful as a cat backhoe like a 410. But it's a little lighter and a lower horsepower. it's only like 70 horsepower and 20,000 lb. In the shaving scenario a 36-in bucket seems to do about the same as a 18-in bucket as far as depth so for productivity the more teeth the better. I'm trying to build a platform so I can work from above. And I usually dig deep every alternate bucket width. And then I can break large chunks off the in between projections. Anybody got any great techniques. Or recommended methods to actually move more material quickly.

Replies7
  1. #1Gary Layton2024-10-11 21:32

    Wow! Hard stuff. I've never done any blasting but my first thought is explosives to "rubble" it. Maybe a hydraulic hammer on your excavator? Let's see what the pro's say.

  2. #2Ollie2024-10-12 16:20

    Like Gary said a hammer. Could also use a ripper with tiger teeth and tiger teeth for bucket too. We use them to rip frost and material like that

  3. #3CM19952024-10-12 17:18

    What is the purpose of the excavation? Borrow pit, structure?

  4. #470 eliminator2024-10-12 20:19

    Building a home structure need wall to stay up without collapse for 1 year. Then backfill. Digging from above seems to be the best . It's just not always possible

  5. #5CM19952024-10-12 20:32

    Obviously have no experience with this type of material but you might want to try a single shank ripper if you can find one. I think all a hammer would do is just punch holes with no real results.

  6. #6Gary Layton2024-10-13 09:50

    That sounds like a great idea...just found this on a quick search:

  7. #770 eliminator2024-10-18 11:57

    cool ripper shank ... the bucket shaves it off but i think the only answer is to dig from above.