Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cleaning Hands in the cold

Old Doug · 2026-01-30 07:14

How do guys clean there hands when there not around warm running water to wash them in the cold ? It seems like i get a lot of painful cracks around my finger tips . I use the buckets like TUB O Towels and Scrubs but they seem hard on your hands and dry them out bad. I have tried a lot of stuff hand creams but they dont seem to help a lot. I try to wear gloves but thats not easy,cheap or simple to get or remember.

Replies36
  1. #1Willie B2026-01-30 07:56

    I believe indoor air is extra dry in winter. 27% relative humidity in my house this morning. Water evaporates fast. Your body loses water this time of year, you have to force yourself to drink water, you won't really want it as in summer. Drink 2 quarts of water every day, your hands won't crack. Super glue, or liquid skin in the cracks will help a lot. As for cleaning, snow works pretty well.

  2. #2DDoug2026-01-30 08:57

    BTDT many times....no rags to dispose of either.

  3. #3Shimmy12026-01-30 09:05

    You should be running a humidifier. I've always heard about 40% is the safe zone for indoor humidity. Less than that dries everything out, hard on drywall, paint, etc.

  4. #4masterwelder2026-01-30 09:41

    I find snow on my hands makes it worse. Things I do: we have a water softener as our water is hard, I use Gold Bond on my hands after my shower and before bed, run a humidifier in the bedroom for a few hours before going to sleep, and I agree 100% you really need to drink water, the way I do it is every time go #1 I grab my Yeti 1/2 gallon water jug and take at least 10 big swigs, In addition to having at least a pint of water with every meal. Are my hands crack free? No but it is less frequent. This year so far it has just been my thumbs.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2026-01-30 10:05

    As much as it sucks, super glue is your friend and in between I put O’Keeffe’s in the cracks. I hold out as long as I can stand it, because as soon as you start treating your hands and lips, it’s like a diesel on either, you’re body becomes an addict.

  6. #6Simon C2026-01-30 15:21

    Think there may be some truth to that. I have 1 vitamin B pill per day and sems to have cleared cracked lip for me now going on 30 years.

  7. #7Mike L2026-01-31 05:42

    File

  8. #8crane operator2026-01-31 10:05

    Tell us more. Is this like a lotion? Powder? I like the Joe's hand cleaner, but I can't stand the gritty pumice stuff, I got to have smooth. Joe's is pink and smooth and you can wipe it off with a towel if no water.

  9. #9CM19952026-01-31 14:30

    This is the best stuff I've found for cracks and other winter issues on your hands. O'Keeffe's Working Hands: Guaranteed Relief for Extremely Dry, Cracked Hands Discover O'Keeffe's Working Hands, the ultimate hand cream that heals, relieves, and repairs extremely dry, cracked hands. Experience guaranteed relief or your money back. www.okeeffescompany.com

  10. #10MFM Truck&Equipment2026-01-31 16:46

    I've always been a fan of theses. One side is coarse and the other smooth. However they do freeze if you don't have a heated cabinet in the truck.

  11. #11Coaldust2026-01-31 18:05

    I keep that stuff handy.

  12. #12Coaldust2026-01-31 18:10

    Snap-On Nitro Gold & a handful of snow is my jam. Rinse off with a bottle of water. Or, a puddle of water if it’s during breakup season. When there is no other option. Just sayin’.

  13. #13smifwal2026-01-31 18:27

    I wear gloves when doing stuff outside cause my hands get cold quickly but if I am doing something nasty and don't want to get **** all over my gloves I will switch to nitrile gloves, I either buy them buy the case online or I get them from the fire station. If I wasn't wearing gloves and my hands got dirty I use hand sanitizer and blue shop towels. As for cracking skin, I use to set tile during the day and throw boxes at ups at night didn't wear gloves either place and my hands got real bad. I would try to use lotion as often as I could but couldn't keep up. So there is a scene in ocean's 12 or 13 where Bernie mac is negotiating with the used sales guys about buying the vans, and he mentions lathering up with lotion and putting gloves on before he goes to sleep. I figured what could it hurt so I grabbed some gloves from Walmart (they have gloves specifically for this purpose), I get them on Amazon now https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6PJC7YK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share I also buy non scented lotion by the gallon, it is cheaper and I don't like smells https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYLHVWHT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share THis is how bad it was before

  14. #14Old Doug2026-01-31 19:53

    I took some waterless Hand cleaner to work to try . I have been looking for some cheap gloves but the stores dont have them like they used to. I probably can order some .

  15. #15Coaldust2026-01-31 19:57

    The cherry bomb never tastes like cherries. Looking at it, and smelling it, you think it would. What’s up with that?

  16. #16Mike L2026-01-31 20:02

    I’m not a fan of joes. Tried it in Texas. Didn’t work for me at all. Power kleen is the same texture as joes but is pink in color. They make a gritty version but if you don’t have water it is impossible to rinse off. Power kleen will cut grease, remove tree pitch, tar, oil. etc. has an antiseptic and doesn’t burn if you have cuts on your hand. Best stuff I’ve ever used. Not easy to find everywhere. I’ve got a local supplier.

  17. #17HarleyHappy2026-02-01 11:55

    That is the best hand cleaner I have ever used. I took a coffee can and screwed it to the wall, by the door and get a handful and go outside to the spicket.

  18. #18materthegreater2026-02-01 14:40

    I used Boraxo until they stopped making it. Haven't found a good substitute yet. Fast orange works well enough when there is no access to running water.

  19. #19smifwal2026-02-01 14:56

    I accidentally bought some smell good conditioner, got a little in my mouth when rinsing,gave it to my sister in-law to wash my nephews mouths out when they get in trouble, they gave me the side eye for a month.

  20. #20Coaldust2026-02-01 15:38

    That’s too funny. I see the 12oz containers on Amazon and EBay for $79.93. There must be a janitor with a stash trying to retire early . Every institutional and school bathroom from the 70’s to the late 90’s, man. The dispensers would clog up and leave a borax mountain underneath. You could scrub two layers of skin off everytime you washed. How many thousands of tons of that product produced over the last 1/2 century? The iconic, OG hand cleaner. RIP.

  21. #21smifwal2026-02-01 15:53

    5 Pounder for $19.99 may be worth a try it if not you can use it to clean the house with https://a.co/d/4jOMkf9

  22. #22materthegreater2026-02-01 17:21

    That's just borax. Good for killing ants but doesn't have the fine soaps that Boraxo has (had).

  23. #23fast_st2026-02-01 17:28

    Hand cleaner and brazing flux! I have leather gloves for cold work and some ugly ass orange urethane clad gloves for doing stuff in the wet, my friend who delivers oil loves them, well they're warm dry and grippy. Do my best to keep my hands dry in the winter. My pop used to get cracking/bleeding hands all the time, his friend the farmer brought him some ointment called bag balm, it smelled weird but it worked a treat, after a week pops hands started to heal up right nice. He'd use it once or twice a day.

  24. #24Mike L2026-02-01 17:38

    Fast orange and gojo won’t even lift the first layer of grime off my hands. On the other hand, I’ve seen guys wash up with brakleen. I do my best to minimize that stuff touching my skin.

  25. #25smifwal2026-02-01 17:41

    Good call on keeping that stuff off your skin, had science teacher in school that soaked pig fat in brake clean, it was not good

  26. #26materthegreater2026-02-01 17:44

    Mix up a small batch of mortar or concrete. My hands are never cleaner than after doing concrete work.

  27. #27smifwal2026-02-01 17:53

    Better follow that with some lotion or your hands will look like mine in post #14

  28. #28Mike L2026-02-01 18:50

    Power kleen will help prevent the cracking

  29. #29Old Doug2026-02-01 19:27

    I have some i used for brazing flux. Was the bag balm for cow udders ?

  30. #30willie592026-02-01 20:25

    I've been using GoJo Supro Max blue label for several years now, does a decent job cleaning grease/oil from your hands, the grit in it is ground walnut shells, much easier on your hands than pumice, and it doesn't seem to dry you skin out. But I also wear nitrile gloves pretty much anytime it's not summer, they make your hands sweat in hot weather. As soon as the weather cools the nitrile gloves go on. I've been using Ansel Touch and Tough 5 mil #92-600 for years, they're tougher than the ones you get at the auto parts store, but still have good dexterity. This is where I purchase them, decent price for good gloves. > https://www.magidglove.com/ansell-t...able-powder-free-5-mil-nitrile-gloves-92600pp

  31. #31fast_st2026-02-02 11:00

    Yeah, and turns out the farmers applying it without gloves found out it works on booger diggers too!

  32. #32fast_st2026-02-02 11:05

    was something popular mechanics if I recall, get a little hand soap and rub it in good and let it dry, do your dirty work and now all the crevices are full of soap already under the grime. Did some repair, polishing a few burrs off a hydraulic spool valve, working under a 40x microscope with an arkansas stone. Hard to get your fingers microscope clean without a belt sander.

  33. #33HarleyHappy2026-02-02 11:15

    There used to be a product, I forget what it was called. It came in a tub, like axle grease. You would rub it into your hands, before you turned any wrenches, and your hands cleaned with ease. It did work but then I discovered Micro Tex gloves and your hands aren’t slippery. Getting to the point of buying cheaper alternatives because they get all the money for them today. Need to find a cheaper glove with the little nubbies. Been using some off Amazon for a year, in black or orange. They are pretty good but not as nice feeling as Micro Tex.

  34. #34fast_st2026-02-02 11:47

    liquid glove or such?

  35. #35Coaldust2026-02-02 14:33

    Oh’ I remember that stuff. The safety guy at my last Cat dealer pushed that product. It made my hands slippery for the rest of the day and and skin feel weird. Then, other guys loved it and claimed it made their dermatitis go away.

  36. #36Truck Shop2026-02-02 15:52

    ATF, then dish soap, atf is extremely detergent, it will clean your hands in no time then wash with cheap dish soap. You will never see a guy that rebuilds automatics with dirty hands. works well in cold.