here are an few pictures of the clutch installation adapter I made for one of my transmission jacks. the snap-on puller is used to clamp the old input shaft rigid. prior to removal, the puller is loosened off to make it easier to push the shaft all the way through the discs into the pilot bearing and then tightened before removal of the clutch assy. alignment dowels are also used. if re-using the clutch assy I use the small wood blocks between the release bearing and the clutch cover. this stuff is old news to the experienced people on this forum but may be of use to someone who has not replaced a heavy truck clutch assy
That is nice! I don't do a lot of clutches, maybe one or two a year now, but I still need to make something to lift them. I am getting to old to do them by hand.
thanks! i'm also getting too old to manhandle them. nowadays I try to work slower and smarter
That's a great idea. I haven't done one in many years and am kind of proud that I was able to avoid them.
When I do a truck clutch I mount all the parts on the trans input shaft and install it with the trans. Much easier that way. Then you just have to hit the pilot bearing with the input shaft. Rotate the engine and install all your clutch bolts through the inspection plate and torque evenly. Takes a couple revolutions of engine but still easier. I’ve suggested this method to a few people over the years and they call me later saying wow why didn’t we do it that way before?
I’ve done them both ways. Stacking the clutch on the input shaft works well but it’s better if you have a second set of hands to turn the engine over. The last clutch I did was in an international plow truck and it was so tight to lift the transmission and try to spear the clutch that I just stacked it and slid it up in. When I worked at the truck shops it was almost a point of pride in how fast you could line the tranny up and slide it through the clutch.
I do the same for installing, lot easier to hit the pilot bearing and bolt it up. I do have the OTC clutch jack but mostly use it to remove clutches and handle flywheels.
I tried doing my first clutch when I was 18 by bolting it to the flywheel. As a scrawny kid I had a hell of a time trying to lift it. Said eff it, slammed it on the input shaft and sent it home.
had a clutch cover hang up once on the lip of a newly machined flywheel but was able to catch it as I was torqueing it down. had to pull the flywheel back off and send it back to the machine shop for some re-machining
I have been thinking about building something this gives me some ideals. How far off the floor is it when its all the way down and what is the highest it will go?
i'll post a couple more pictures and some numbers within the next couple days
old doug-here are the height numbers fully lowered and fully raised. it is mounted toward the front of the jack for this job because of the blocks under the flywheel housing(western star mounts). I just have to be careful on this removal that it doesn't get too nose heavy and overbalanced. sorry. the last two turned themselves sideways. I don't know what the hell happened during the transfer from my phone
Thanks i was wondering if it would get nose heavy.