Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clutch Question

still learn'n ยท 2018-07-24 11:30

2004 Kenworth T300 3126 Kitty Cat with 6spd tranny When it is cold in the morning it was slipping when taking out from being stopped every once in a while but always. It didn't have any free play in the pedal so I adjusted that so now there is around an inch. My question is is that all I should do for now or is there something else? Where is the clutch brake on this clutch?

Replies4
  1. #1GregsHD2018-07-24 15:01

    A clutch brake is not necessary on a small transmission (not enough rotating mass) the adjustment is all you can do, you're looking for an 1/8 inch between the release fingers and the release bearing. If it's still slipping, time for a clutch.. The driver said it was slipping in low gear? But not when pulling in 6th?

  2. #2still learn'n2018-07-24 15:03

    It's in my service truck and the engine would just rev up a little in 2nd or 3rd gear when I was taking out from an intersection I didn't notice it otherwise

  3. #3willie592018-07-24 17:10

    An inch of pedal free play is typically good for most truck transmissions. You for sure don't want it to have zero free play, that's when you'll smoke a good clutch. You need to teach this to all your drivers, they're the ones who have their foot on the pedal and should know it's time to adjust it.

  4. #4still learn'n2018-07-24 17:13

    That's what I wondered was the problem here so I adjusted it and now I will see what happens. I have been told this transmission needs to be clutched and I have tried not to press the clutch pedal down all the way cause I thought it had a couchc brake but now I found out it don't do that's probably not a problem with this one. Thanks for the replies