Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clutch Replacement

95zIV ยท 2010-03-14 09:50

I'm looking for the times it takes to pull at tranny, swap out the clutch, grind the flywheel, and replace the rear main seal then put the tranny back in. I just had mine done and I'd like to get a comparison on how long/much it would be in a normal dump truck or a tractor. Thanks, Ray

Replies5
  1. #1Mack1852010-03-14 13:32

    It took me and one other guy about a day and a half on a CH model Mack with 460/8LL. We didn't work continuously but if I had to guess how many hours it took, I'd guess 10 hours.

  2. #2Willis Bushogin2010-03-14 16:17

    If you dont have to drop any air tanks, it goes faster. The air tanks are a PITB No air tanks, it can be done in 8-9 hrs air tanks 10+ hours This is someone that is used to doing it and is a very productive worker. I have found that an individual owner/operator shop, does work faster. A big shop seems to drag their feet more and they charge more. The shop I use usually charges around $400-$500 labor (includes turning the flywheel), clutch around $400, rear seal around $25, pilot bearing $15 If there is any wear in the back motor mounts, I get them replaced at this time and if the rear seal shows any leakage, I replace it also. I have been charged $1000 labor, but I didnt let him work on my trucks again, that was a rip off Just curious what the guy charged you?

  3. #3td25c2010-03-14 20:08

    I'd say between 6 to 8 hours in a well equiped shop.Like others have said it depends on how the truck is specked,pto drive lines,air tanks,engine mounts on the tranny,cabover truck,etc.

  4. #4Red Bank2010-03-14 20:44

    I agree it is all on how the truck is set up. If the motor mounts are on the bellhousing and not the transmission that makes it faster, also how the floor pan in the cab is configured, on most trucks you can take the shifter boot and part of the floor or the dog box out and have good access to do a lot from the top. VN Volvos were the worst I have ever done, to remove the floor pan to access the top of the transmission you had to remove the floor mat which meant removing the seats, I would spend most of a shift just getting to the transmission. On a International 4000 single axle with a 7 speed transmission I could have the transmission in the floor in an hour. All in all I would agree with the times already listed. But that does not mean it will be done in a day. I would pull the clutch and flywheel at night, have the flywheel turned during the day and reassemble at night.

  5. #5stock2010-03-17 12:45

    This is a loaded question,the reason I say this is we are all assuming that everything went perfect and according to plan.We had an item of plant once that was previously been worked on by a two tool wrench bender,must have had a vice grips in one hand and a hammer in the other,every bolt was rounded,took ages to get the gear box out,so you can imagine if it had been farmed out for repair what it would have cost..