Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clutch return spring Kenworth T800 2007

DirtHauler ยท 2012-11-11 16:46

The clutch pedal will not return all the way. Basicly the pedal will just float around at the bottom of the freeplay. This causes the microswitch to no close on the clutch which disables the jakes and the cruise control. I am getting by with holding the clutch pedal up with the top of my foot to make the jakes work, but this is just annoying. The boss says he took the bottom of the dash apart and did not see where there was a missing or broken spring. Does anyone have a clutch linkage diagram? or know where to look for the spring or a part number? Also how big of a pain in the ass is this thing to fix? Are any special tools required. For clarity, the clutch pedal returns when you let the clutch out, but will not come back the last inch or two where the freeplay should be. It is just limp for that last inch or two.

Replies8
  1. #1Cat_man3202012-11-11 17:10

    It maybe a pressure plate problem or a worn throw-out bearing not releasing all the way ,

  2. #2DirtHauler2012-11-11 17:47

    It comes back smooth, sometimes all the way, but as soon as you hit a bump or two it just drifts back down. I am almost certain there has to be a spring somewhere that takes up the slack to give you freeplay. Thanks for the replay cat_man320, other than just not coming back the the top of the freeplay the clutch functions normally.

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2012-11-11 20:21

    Check under the truck and look at the linkage that comes out of the tranny (drivers side) Do you see a return spring any where? I just had a clutch replaced in my 2000 KW and they left the spring off, I jacklegged it so I could get to work. BUNGEE cord!!!!! If I remember correctly, I ran the bungee cord, from the top of the clutch bellcrank (near the top of the chassis) to a bracket on the inside of the chassis. It hard to explain, but if you are under the truck, looking at the clutch lever, that is attached to the tranny clutch shaft. Follow that linkage, to the next lever/arm (thats where I attached the bungee cord and pulled it aft, to a place to attach it. I dont know about your model truck, but my truck, when they got around to putting the spring on it, went from the clutch arm to a bracket aft of the tranny area. They had to special order the spring (guess who had to pay for it???) If you want to try the bungee cord, just attach it somewhere and get someone to check the pedal slack and make sure its pulling the pedal up. Call KW dealer and get them to fax you a page of this system, showing the spring and part number

  4. #4DirtHauler2012-11-11 20:40

    Thanks Willis.

  5. #5ohiofleet2012-11-11 22:16

    the spring under the steering colum cover and it hooks to the pedal a bit of a pain some times but it is there

  6. #6Marcval562015-07-01 17:08

    I know exactly where it is...the clutch return spring is located..right behind the steering column. 4 bolts removes the cover..

  7. #7Rkoochie2015-08-07 13:02

    Still workin on this one So I've found the broken spring, right where you said it would be, I've removed a lower plate covering that area but cannot determine how to remove it nor replace it once it is out.

  8. #8Papagord2022-10-08 19:00

    I have the same problem. Do not know how to get to replace spring behind aluminum plate