The odd time when I am accelerating, at around 1300-1600 rpm the ol pete seems to loose driveline connection. I can back off the throttle and it hooks back up and I can keep on trucking. Confusing part is I cannot MAKE it happen, it's random and usually in the same stretch of 200-300 ft. from a stop. Any one have any suggestions? I don't seem to have any leaks around my bell housing, but I had a quick lube service and I did notice, that the u-joints were overgreased, leads me to believe my release bearing nipple was as heavily greased. Could this cause such slippage? Will it go away? I went 2 days without an slip now it's randomly, annoyingly back. Could I have busted some springs? Are there still springs in hydraulic clutches? Aside from the clutch and spinning tires what else can slip? If I had the answers we could make this a multiple choice test. :drinkup :drinkup
Could also be a slightly slightly warped flywheel.
Make sure you have at least an inch of free peddle on the clutch . When it slips check it too. I've seen broken or worn motor mounts let the engine roll enough at acceleration to pull the clutch loose. There could be grease on the flywheel from over greasing the throw out bearing. You could check by pulling the access plate on the bottom of the flywheel housing.
Once it starts slipping is there much for adjustments I can do?
You can adjust the clutch but would recommend getting someone to show you how to do it the first time.
My FLD 120 was slipping badly for while , had it adjusted and no problems or slippage since !
That was all that was required in the end. Thanks for everyones help!
If it started right after a grease job, odds are that the clutch got over greased. If it got just a little too much grease, you might get lucky and it will go away, but most of the time when the clutch is overgreased, the clutch linings are ruined and need replaced. The problem is that a lot of places let untrained personnel grease trucks and they don't know that you should only use one pump on the clutch. If it doesn't quit slipping in about a week, you may have to replace the clutch.
does the cluth pedal have a different feel in it ? if so you might want to pull the inspection plate off the clutch bell housing and see if you find any spring laying in bottom of bell housing , If so it is time for a clutch more than likely . Good luck and hope that it is just in need of a simple clutch adjustment
After adjustment and my slipping went away few months ago, the pedal now sticks sometimes when i press all way down for clutch brake. Is it time for change ?
don't wish anyone bad luck but, a '98 pete i used to drive developed clutch problems seems the guy driving it couldn't get free play sometimes, eventualy they discovered a broken crankshaft.(550 cat)