Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clutch trouble shooting

Truck Shop · 2020-06-25 09:11

Can the moderators or would the moderators put this link up with a sticky, so people with clutch questions can go to this link. It has the best information there is and can answer any question regarding 14" and 15" pull type clutches. http://www.daytonparts.com/dpweb/App_11/Dist_site/literature/225/DP_Clutch_TS_Guide_print.pdf

Replies41
  1. #1DMiller2020-10-20 14:46

    Always good info. Local I deal with complaining of clutch chattering hard to get in gear, slipping at high speed and almost new, Button Clutch. Told take it back to shop that installed warranty. They initially tried to railroad him on expense said he cooked it. He was allowed to watch it come out, 14" Four Button plates and clocked or installed 1/8th turn OFF from each other pads not engaging on top of each other, center plate blued and warped, dogs had NOT been replaced and had stairsteps on them, best yet the release bearing shipping blocks, inside the pressure plate. 34xxx miles. Foreman was embarrassed, HIS Own boy did the clutch replace, ate the entire ticket.

  2. #2skyking12021-07-11 01:58

    I toasted my clutch brake today, this is a timely thread. I have never had to replace on, do you have any advice beyond watching yourube videos, or should i just take it by my truck shop and have them do it?

  3. #3JLarson2021-07-11 02:48

    I don't think doing clutch brakes is that bad, kinda sucks when it sill has a one piece in there. Having a cutter kit comes in handy then cause they bust off easy once you drill em with the guide, having to torch or just go medieval with a long air chisel bit kinda sucks lol.

  4. #4skyking12021-07-11 02:50

    It was fixed long ago so my bet is that it is a two piece.

  5. #5DMiller2021-07-11 04:24

    I had preferred the current two piece pin together when still installing these, then when or IF fail becomes less hassle to replace otherwise it can be a bear.

  6. #6Tones2021-07-11 07:09

    International trucks I drove had a air button on the gear lever to operate the clutch brake. It was far better than having it on the pedal, can't remember that brake ever being replaced.

  7. #7Truck Shop2021-07-11 07:36

    Use the two piece Babcock SB200, don't use the type with the plastic lock button-junk. SB200 below.

  8. #8funwithfuel2021-07-11 10:07

    If adjustments are maintained and drivers don't try to stop the truck with the clutch brake, they should last the life of the clutch. I remember the sound of those little molten berries dropping down on me. Tried the long chisel too. The tits were usually torn off as well, so the steel would spin around unless you could get a set of grips in there. Absolutely hated the 1 piece. Not that the old 3 piece was much better. I liked the hinged one with the screw that would lock it in place. None of that matters until you train the drivers.

  9. #9Truck Shop2021-07-11 10:37

    The thing about the SB200 is you just pop it with a torch where the pins are use two pry bars twist it and down it comes.

  10. #10Truck Shop2021-07-11 11:37

    A truck that I did service work and repairs on years back was a money maker for the owner operator who had it. 1.3 million miles on it when he traded it in {1984 W900} 400 cat. Never had a clutch or clutch brake or transmission replaced. Rear drives were original, engine had most everything on the outside replaced and three sets of bearings and two sets of nozzles was it internally. Only he drove it. In some cases when the driver is footing the bill for repairs habits change.

  11. #11Shimmy12021-07-11 11:52

    Those were only on trucks with a push-type clutch, at least here in the States. Cat 3208 were the only ones I knew of that had that type of brake.

  12. #12DMiller2021-07-11 13:31

    At one time Mack had the Clutch Brake on a Countershaft head, Low in the bell housing, need not remove trans to replace.

  13. #13Tones2021-07-11 15:43

    These were Acco 2150 and 3070 models, Cummins powered ,RR gearbox, Australian made.

  14. #14_Weldman_2021-07-11 16:29

    This will lead you down a rabbit hole, I don't think you can do it with your shoulder but you can give it a try. HeavyEquipmentForums

  15. #15kshansen2021-07-11 17:50

    You talking about the Triplex and Quadruplex transmissions? With the brake disk held in place with left handed threaded bolt? Never had the chance to swap one of them out in-frame, by the time I saw one of them there were pieces of reverse idler laying in the bottom of the case. Seems some people don't know that shifting into reverse while rolling forwards is not good practice!

  16. #16Truck Shop2021-07-11 17:56

    Also had nothing but a single disc rag clutch.

  17. #17JLarson2021-07-11 18:08

    Yeah I think the babcock ones are the only 2 piece worth anything too. Those eaton ones that use the tiny cap screws I always find stripped out cause someone when all incredible hulk with the allen key and have to destructively remove anyway.

  18. #18funwithfuel2021-07-11 18:34

    OMG the button clutch has gotta be the best thing ever. Hated those organic rag mess. Although the kevlar lined were pretty long lasting in mid-sized single disc applications .

  19. #19Truck Shop2021-07-11 20:12

    I installed several 15.5 twin disc easy pedal Kevlar clutches, those work well in severe duty.

  20. #20funwithfuel2021-07-12 06:35

    I didn't know that was an option. When I got away from trucks, kevlar was still pretty new. Thanks for pointing that out.

  21. #21skyking12021-07-15 00:47

    I took a look in there and found the brake in the bellhousing, latched back together I looked it over and figured it would go back and work if I didn't do the stupid thing again. I reinstalled it one-handed without a problem, my first look at a clutch brake. Thanks all.

  22. #22Truck Shop2021-07-15 07:40

    Hate to say it but you will be back in there again.

  23. #23skyking12021-07-15 09:11

    i have no problem with that Mike and I know you are right. After I crawled in there at 9 PM last night and found it, I really ad no choice but to put it back. So that hinged type is not the one I want? And, is there a right way and wrong way with them?

  24. #24Truck Shop2021-07-15 09:19

    Either direction-push pedal to floor to lock button. But once those come loose it will probably fail again. You will want the SB200, install both pieces with keyway on shaft vertical, have someone hold pedal to floor to lock it straight between T/O bearing and front bearing retainer. Long punch and drive the pins. Put grease on both sides of wear material before installing.

  25. #25skyking12021-07-15 10:53

    Cool thank you. So far so good been driving it this morning.

  26. #26skyking12021-08-12 19:45

    It made it 7 weeks I took it to my truck shop and they replaced it and adjusted the clutch up nicely. Good to go!

  27. #27skyking12022-11-03 18:08

    I am dropping the truck off to get serviced while I am on the New York run, and will get the clutch adjusted up along with a laundry list of things.

  28. #28homestead4632023-06-26 12:01

    That link is broken Truck Shop, I'm trying to find another copy online

  29. #29amcphee2024-04-10 19:40

    Need a little help guys. I have a fuller fs 5005a transmission and a pull clutch. I have looked all through the Eaton sites and cannot find how to set this pull clutch that came WITHOUT a clutch brake. It is on a 1978 Ford F800.

  30. #30Truck Shop2024-04-10 19:47

    Fresh out of info.

  31. #31funwithfuel2024-04-10 19:48

    That's a synchronized trans, it won't have a brake. Are you able to determine if it's a single or double disc?

  32. #32Truck Shop2024-04-10 21:06

    Page 72. http://www.plazafleetparts.com/uploads/2/1/9/0/2190100/clutch_trouble_shooting_-_part_3.pdf

  33. #33ramazanbaydur2025-10-20 09:22

    if you have a problem with parts, you can review this site, there are suitable parts https://supplygate.net/

  34. #34Coaldust2026-02-08 23:54

    This is a great thread, so let’s bump it. I’ve got new, 49x Western Stars arriving and somehow, this rig left the factory, traveled across the country to SC, then to Seattle, then to Alaska. Without anyone noticing the clutch brake had not been installed. “Hey Coaldust, why does this thing make a grinding noise when I use the clutch from a dead stop ?”. Hmmm. Let’s take a look. So, a new transmission housing and bearing retainer later,…… But, now there is gear lube leaking out the input shaft seal onto the snow. Hmmm. At least, let me get the license plate installed, before it goes back to the dealer.

  35. #35Coaldust2026-02-09 00:02

    Wait? What? Who ordered a straight truck, line haul rig with a 600Hp DD16 and a 8LL? Not me. I would have purchased more gears than that. That’s not enough gears. But, maybe 2050 lbs/ft torque doesn’t care. She will be interesting to drive.

  36. #36Coaldust2026-02-09 00:04
  37. #37Shimmy12026-02-09 00:38

    Gear lube?? ???

  38. #38Coaldust2026-02-09 01:20

    Sure, Eaton 75w-90, PS-386. In 2019, Eaton moved to SAE J306 gear lubes. Which is similar to a SAE J300 in 50wt. Very confusing. Not talking about axle lube with EP additives.

  39. #39Truck Shop2026-02-09 06:04

    https://www.eaton.com.cn/content/dam/eaton/products/transmissions/lubricants/eaton-lubricants-product-specification-manual-tcmt0021.pdf * Just synthetic 50.

  40. #40cuttin edge2026-02-09 07:37

    I'd take an 8LL over a 9 speed any day. One of our little Freightshakers with an 8LL came without a clutch brake. The boss picked it up at the dealer. Even delivered a few loads with it. When my float man took it. He didn't even leave the yard. Drove over to the garage, and told the mechanic to try it. Grinding sounds. Boss comes in. What happened maybe your legs are too short. Worked fine for me get out let me try, you're not doing it right. Grinding sounds. You must have cut it off. Pulls plate off. None in there. Road trip to the dealer.

  41. #41Truck Shop2026-02-09 07:53

    Hopefully it doesn't turn into a string of stories.