Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CMI C175 Forestry Mulcher

slowJEEP ยท 2017-05-27 01:01

We, KW Land Works , have a few hundred hours on this machine now. It's a beast compared to our Cat 297 but it doesn't replace the CTL all together. The craftsmanship and design are stellar. We've been thinking about putting a subsoiling head on it as of late. Everything I read suggests we need 300 hp so I'm hesitant. One of the head manufacturers we've been in contact with will hopefully have a demo setup for us in the near future. Anyone on here done any subsoiling?

Replies9
  1. #1Tones2017-05-27 18:47

    I think FAE make a head for up to 200 hp if I remember right. I made an inquirie years ago but they were to hexey for me.

  2. #2slowJEEP2017-05-28 11:14

    Mericrusher has some attractive technology but I was hoping to get first hand experience from someone not trying to sell one to me.

  3. #3Tones2017-05-28 17:25

    There's a bloke in Alaska who runs one and he can't say enough good things about them.He goes on Tractor by Net/ landclearing equipment with the name AKfish if you want to contact him.

  4. #4Plebeian2017-05-28 18:27

    Depends on the size of the tree roots, size of the rocks etc that the subsoiler is going to encounter. Whether it matters if you drive the machine straight over the area just subsoiled, compacting the soil or leaving track marks, cameras for reversing etc, or see if you can make the cab controls - turn around. Hydraulic drive can be around 30 percent less efficient than a mechanical/ belt drive - that is part of the reason a lot of subsoiling is done by a large tractor/ machine with pto/ mechanical drive.

  5. #5Tones2017-05-28 19:21

    A machine such as slowJEEPs have a fairly light foot print so leaving track marks shouldn't be to much of a problem. They should brush out with a pass of harrows. The hydraulics on the machines are almost as good as mechanical drive as they use a transmission pump and closed loop curcuit so the power loss is not quite as big compaired to open loop curcuits, eg skidsteer loaders hiflow.

  6. #6slowJEEP2017-05-29 08:44

    Thanks Tones, I'll look him up.

  7. #7Plebeian2017-05-30 17:24

    What else including the mericrushers are on the list? http://www.suokone.com/en/home.html http://www.suokone.com/en/products/mericrushers-2.html

  8. #8slowJEEP2017-05-30 19:26

    I gather FAE and Seppi are well respected in subsoiling technology. I saw a few others at Conexpo this year.

  9. #9Plebeian2017-06-01 20:05

    These are the specs on some of the machines. Have make sure the specs are relevant to machines available in your area. http://www.arboragri.co.uk/seppi-forestry/stone-crushers/midisoil-dt/ http://www.fae-group.com/images/dow...SFL_Land_Clearing_Multitask_FAE_GROUP_USA.pdf