Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

coil inside fuel tanks

mbavers · 2023-06-10 14:08

1972 F750 dump truck. There is a metal coil running along the bottom of the (50 g.) fuel tanks, about 3"-4" in diameter. The wire (or tube) itself is about 1/8" in diameter. It runs from near the center mounted fuel pump to the rear of the tank. It does not seem to be attached to the fuel pump. I can't find any info on line about this. It doesn't seem like it would be the fuel line. Best I can guess is it's part of the fuel gauge sending unit? Fuel gauges do not work. Anyone have an idea what this is?

Replies10
  1. #1skyking12023-06-10 14:20

    is it tubing?

  2. #2mbavers2023-06-10 14:23

    I just edited my post. If it is tubing it's awfully small for a fuel line-about 1/8" or so.

  3. #3mbavers2023-06-10 14:24

    I just edited my post. If it is tubing it's awfully small for a fuel line-about 1/8" or so.

  4. #4skyking12023-06-10 14:25

    fuel gauge senders are usually floats in old trucks. If that is some sort of induction gauge sender, then it fell off where it was and is laying in there.

  5. #5mbavers2023-06-10 14:31

    Yeah, I didn't think they had induction units back in '72. No matter, just curious, although it would be nice to not have to check fuel level with a wood stick.

  6. #6Junkyard2023-06-10 22:46

    Did the tanks have heaters at some point in their life?

  7. #7materthegreater2023-06-11 07:58

    There is something odd in my fuel tank as well, though I doesn't quite look like a coil. Probably unrelated to what is in your tank

  8. #8Columbo2023-06-11 08:30

    @materthegreater those look like those Fitch Fuel Catalysts that people drop in their tanks…. FFB08 — Fitch Fuel Catalyst This Drop-In Tank catalyst (FFB08) is used for pre-1980 Classic/Antique vehicles. Drop ONE at a time, into the fuel tank. You may use a piece of 2 - 3’ plastic or rubber hose to guide the catalyst cartridges into the fuel tank. Vehicles manufactured AFTER 1980 , usually have an anti-siphon o fitchfuelcatalyst.com

  9. #9mbavers2023-06-11 13:19

    I don't think so. There's no control for it. I've got a fuel heater in a diesel powered truck of mine, but don't see the need in a gasoline run engine.

  10. #10materthegreater2023-06-11 22:30

    Thanks, I hadn't heard of those before.