Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cold weather starting

old skool iron ยท 2009-10-10 02:44

where is the best place to install a engine heater? engine or raidiator lines. l need to plug it in at night here in the rockies.thanks. OSI

Replies2
  1. #1Digger Dan2009-10-10 08:11

    My truck has a heater in the bottom rad hose so as it heats it slowly circulates naturally as the hot water rises, also a very simple heater to install.

  2. #2bremery2009-10-10 11:00

    I have a Kats tank heater that is connected to the bypass hose for the water pump and to the lower block drain. It works really well. I plug it in for about 20 minutes and I can start my 743 without the glow plugs. The important thing is the heater has to be installed vertical otherwise it will burn out. The type that goes into the lower radiator hose is not recommended for the bobcat. I think its because it will need to warm the whole block before it warms the head.