Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Columbus Ohio Ritchie Bros Auction – 9-25-19

DCTH ยท 2019-09-18 15:14

Is anyone going to this auction or does anyone live near columbus that would be able to inspect a couple skid steers for me? I would be willing to pay a small fee through paypal for some video of them. I was going to drive up this weekend when the yard is open, but they said you are not allowed to start or move the machines until Monday since they are "getting the yard ready". If anyone is, please shout. The machines im interested in look nice but, id like to hear them run before i bid. I looked at some machines closer to me at the RB auction in Nashville and was allowed to run them. Even though they look good in photos, some had leaking water pumps, clogged injectors or malfunctioning fuel pump, etc. Thanks, Neal

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632019-09-18 17:17

    Most auction equipment ends up with a thread on this repair forum somewhere. Are you going to be next?

  2. #2Tyler d4c2019-09-18 21:11

    Should I start one on my d5c restoration it come from a sale.

  3. #3Delmer2019-09-18 21:21

    At least he's trying not to be next. "Should I start one on my d5c restoration it come from a sale." Only if you have a Phd in a technical field, or extensive experience in military intelligence, and the unit was burned but not too hot, just needs new paint. Then, GO FOR IT.

  4. #4Vetech632019-09-19 04:36

    Keyword- most. lol

  5. #5Tyler d4c2019-09-19 10:27

    Really it just needs paint and a engine

  6. #6DCTH2019-09-19 17:07

    I'm a decent mechanic. I bought my mini ex from an individual, test ran it for about 30 minutes and it did great. I used it on a job the first time, after an hour of hard work it was overheating. Tore it down and it had a cracked head. So you can get screwed on any piece of equipment. Theres some low hour units in Ohio, the undercarriage looks good on them from what i can tell. I just really want someone to go start the engines and rev them up for me. The RB inspector notes are usually lacking. For instance, one of the machines i looked at in Nashville the inspectors checked "yes" for engine runs. But when i go there, it runs, but its spitting out coolant and white smoke out of the exhaust and seems to be running on 2 cylinders. Yes it "runs" but not well.

  7. #7DCTH2019-09-19 17:08

    So back to my questions, is there anyone around Columbus who is already going or can go and start some machines for me before Wednesday?

  8. #8Vetech632019-09-19 19:09

    I wouldn't trust no ones opinion but my own when it comes to buying auction equipment. If you are going to depend on someone else's evaluation, then buyer beware. It is rare to find gems in the auction scrap heap, but it does happen. My experience with multiple buyers of auction equipment tells me there is more than likely issues with each one. The unknowns are what kills you. Its unlikely that just starting an engine for a minute or 2 will create confidence with the hydraulics, electrical, and the rest of the drivetrain.