Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Combine !

AtlasRob ยท 2008-11-22 16:50

I dont venture into this area of the forum very often, but I know you like pictures, so here you are. Dont know what thier cutting Do know its 2 JD's & a Claas I was suprised how nimble that combine was, it was not hanging about. It was about a month ago over the other side of the carriageway.

Replies24
  1. #195zIV2008-11-22 17:48

    Rob, That's just corn that they're cutting.

  2. #2stumpjumper832008-11-22 19:19

    they are not combing either thats a class self propelled chopper

  3. #3dirt digger2008-11-22 20:07

    chopping....combines shoot out yellow...haha chopping is basically grinding the entire stalk of the corn up for animal feed...combineing is people feed

  4. #4Orchard Ex2008-11-22 22:00

    Cutting corn silage. Nice setup though. Not like the old 2 row chopper/open catch tractor/get covered in silage at the end of the row, ones we had when I was young.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2008-11-22 22:32

    Thanks for the pics Atlas Rob, don't hesitate to post anything else you come across!

  6. #6stock2008-11-23 08:21

    looks like a claas jaguar 880 with a 5 row kempler maize head,the header is changed for the grass season and the crimpers are also removed.the maize input into a pit compacted with a shovel and sealed with a plastic sheet before its fed to the animals

  7. #7d4c24a2008-11-23 08:26

    wet i saw this in the farmers weekly about a month ago http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2008/10/21/112753/maize-harvest-starts-with-a-spin.html i can remember the fun we used to have years ago when he main tractor was 2 wheel drive cheers graham

  8. #8AtlasRob2008-11-23 12:40

    I just knew we could get a bit of heavy plant into the agri section if we tried

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-11-23 12:47

    Sorry stumpjumper, for those in the know it must be like the newsman calling a D10 a digger, but if you dont know :bash learn :thumbsup

  10. #10Orchard Ex2008-11-23 16:29

    I see a lot of people talking about silage pits. Does anyone still use silo's? We had 2 concrete silo's and I've seen steel and even old wooden ones. I assume that it's cheaper to dig and line a pit than build a new silo?:beatsme

  11. #11bigblueox2008-11-23 20:37

    silos are PITA(imo). i've worked on more silo unloading equipment than any other equipment. on my farm we use plastic ag baggs more than anything. we have completley gotten away from silo wether it be bunker, pit, or vertical.

  12. #12j&d2008-11-25 01:08

    I'll second that. If ag bags were invented when we built our verticals I doubt we'd have the Harvestores. The maintenance costs far outweigh the convenience. By the way thanks for letting me get my third post.

  13. #13stock2008-11-25 01:33

    Over here pits are usually constructed with reinforced concrete bases and walls,or like the picture attached with only the base.

  14. #14OCR2008-11-25 01:58

    Harvestores One of these? OCR

  15. #15bigblueox2008-11-25 22:18

    yep known as death traps around here. good for coal or wood chips just not silage.

  16. #16stumpjumper832008-11-25 22:35

    sorry atlas, didnt mean to jump all over ya...

  17. #17AtlasRob2008-11-26 17:15

    No offence taken, :drinkup

  18. #18Bu1cko2008-11-27 11:56

    How much loss do you get with the ag bags

  19. #19j&d2008-11-29 07:06

    This is a legitimate issue with the bags. I suppose there are 2 kinds of loss with the bags, the first being spoilage and the other being waste. Spoilage never seemed to be an issue for us because we fed from the bag daily and in large quantity during cold weather. I can't speak in regard to spoilage under other conditions. Waste is an issue especially in wet conditions however if the bags are placed on a well drained firm base (small gravel or concrete) and care is taken to leave some plastic and cover the end when done loading I think the waste is very minimal. We only used the bags for a few years so I'm no expert on them but in comparison to the verticals the amount of loss is not an issue imho. I would say that the bags require a bit more management and a little more work.

  20. #20bigblueox2008-12-01 00:20

    i didn't like bags until we built a platic roller that rolls the plastic up as you go. the only spoilage problems i've seen is from a busted bag.

  21. #21stock2008-12-01 01:17

    In the interest of broading one mind and not wanting to look foolish but what do you call bags???, over here some farmers wrap grass round bales to help preserve it for silage ,and they can hold for two years if stored correctly.

  22. #22bigblueox2008-12-01 22:17

    http://www.ag-bag.com/products/x1114.php check out this link this is what we're talking about

  23. #23DarrylMueller2009-01-17 21:26

    Talking about silo's sure brings back some great memories. First off the climb up at 04 dark 30, but the smell good silage, which it was has a real good smell I will always remember those days. These were Unidilla Silos. Is'n there more waste in in the bunker and pits. Harvestors that that was like the best glass lined.

  24. #24moonsabie2009-05-12 13:05

    looks cool