I am just curious if anyone here has had any experience with any of the new compact telehandlers on the market? Bobcat has the new V417 and JLG has their G5-18A which is also the Cat TH255. I have virtually no experience operating these type of machines. The compacts mentioned above I have seen at trade shows and I must say I am intrigued. The ability to run big skidsteer attachments and in the case of the JLG/Cat move as much as 5500lbs. I am thinking of possibly renting one if I get any jobs where I would otherwise get a skidsteer if it would still work.
JCB has had these machines for years. Your local Sunbelt or United probably has a couple smaller JCB 520-40 (4,000 lbs capacity). Price is the limiting factor for most people. A 5,000 lb capacity machine with cab retails for around $50k. Needless to say, you can find a skid steer for much less. Keep in mind that you can load TALL trucks with these machines (16 feet of lift). Also, they tend to go a bit better in the muddy stuff than a wheeled skid steer. We rent the heck out of these machines and sell quite a few used ones as well.
We just started renting the small gth-5519 machines. Great little machines with 5,000lb capacity. No problems with them so far. It comes with the bucket mounting plate & hydraulics to lock it in place, but the hydraulic pump is too small to actually run attachments like a concrete breaker or a sweeper attachmant for skid steers.
I have rented the jcb 520 a few times, and it is a great machine and very verstile. It goes through deep mud and easily loads a 10 yarder, but it isn't a replacement for the skid steer.