Hi Guys, Please move this thread if there is a better place for it. I am looking to bid my first government job. There is a road cut and pipe installation involved. The road is a tertiary, not a main road. Its a paved side road. Pipe depth is about 8' below the road deck. The engineer is calling for Gran "a' (1/2" crush limestone) for pipe bedding, Gran 'b' (2" crush limestone) for backfill, then gran 'a' and asphalt. They want everything compacted to 98% spmdd. In the past we have used a plate tamper in road cuts, but this is the first time I will have an engineer overseeing our work. I am wondering what sort compaction equipment I should plan on using. Thanks for your advice Ken
How big of a machine? Excavator with a Hoepack, right lifts & good moisture. A 300 excavator doing two foot lifts with Base Rock easy to get 92%
Excavator Compaction Wheels - AR Equipment AR Equipment compaction wheels are quality built reliable and get the job done. arequipment.com.au With a hydraulic quick hitch these gadgets are fast and easily achieve the required results. Shoring can be removed prior to backfilling with no bodies down the hole. Only one machine to place material and compact.
Sounds like you will have a decent hoe there. A hoe pack would do it, in 1' lifts. 98% is a bit of a bugger though. It is usually 95%.