hello! having recently been accepted into the OETT Local 12, san diego, I am about as green as it gets. please pardon my inexperience. I may not yet know the lingo, and a lot might be over my head, but I am here because I want to soak up everything I can about the industry and the people who make it great. this site seems to be a great source for information. looking forward to reading more.
Welcome to the forum missjeriblue. As for green, we all were at one time. I'm moving more to gray now!
Good to hear you are a fan of Detroit's to.
It ain't easy being green...... OIH we may have to explain that one :-D Welcome to the asylum. Uh I mean forum. Lots of knowledge here, not all necessarily positive! Haha Some of our stories start with "hold my beer and watch this......" Great bunch of people here running and working on just about every conceivable machine there is.
it is precisely why i am here. there is a wealth of knowledge here. im certain i will benefit much from it all. once i figure out what the heck you are talking about! lol thank you for the welcome.
Hey there if you figure out what most of us are talking about please don't let anyone know! At least I'm safe I retired two years ago but many here have bosses(or customers) that actually think these guys know what they are doing!
I thought by the tittle " completely green" this was going to be another clean the environment thread..LOL..my bad...it doesnt matter what trade you are in, being new and learning is part of it...biggest thing to remember..if you dont know something...ASK..dont be embarrassed and go off and do something that could cost big $$ or hurt someone because you didnt want to ask...being humble goes a long way into being accepted..and of course you will have the a$$holes that will just treat you like crap for no reason..ignore those...good luck...
thank you! ive never been accused of being shy, so im certainly not above asking questions. i am also not above taking suggestions. if i may pose a question to you here? i was on a mini x for the first time...after parking it for the evening, it was suggested that i not use the foot pedals when running it. about 2 seconds later, someone else said "hey, you handle that thing like a journeyman. most would rather run it from the pedals too". my question is...should i continue to run it the way i am comfortable, or take the suggestion and change it up? i dont want to **** anyone off, or anyone to think i just ignored the suggestion, but honestly, i prefer to use the pedals. lol
Run it like you want or whatever is most comfortable. A machine that tracks straight isn't bad with feet. I don't run them enough to track straight with my feet when they're off one side or another. When I find one that's off they tell me to fix it lol
i guess im moving to a lighter shade of green, but still at the training site.
I've never met a half decent operator around here that doesn't track with feet. More then a few machines have had their travel levers removed, so your only option is feet. Makes it interesting for me loading and unloading over the beavertail, as I'm no half decent operator! If you're comfortable and competent with pedals, go for it!
thank you! i decided not to worry about suggestions that are a matter of personal preferences. now, if i can only get off this training site and into a real job (for which i would get paid), all would be well with the world! lol
Best of luck to ya. In the current climate, I'm sure you won't have too much of a problem
Best explain the smart a** green comment. Some times we have to humor ourselves. Some of us are fans of the old Detroit Diesels. They were two stroke engines called Screaming Jimmy's by most folks. They were painted an off green from the factory. Hope things work out for you. Keep us updated.