Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Concerns before my first drive of sitting Cat d6 9u

natopotato ยท 2023-02-22 18:58

Hello everyone. Thank you for sharing your experience. This forum has helped me greatly to get to this point. I bought a property that included a 50's or 60's d6-9u (I am pretty sure). I have gotten the pony, and main engine running and confirmed the hydraulics lift. Woohoo I am running what might be 15+ year old diesel at the moment. Getting a mixed consensus on if these old machines can use old seemingly clean diesel. I have a full tank plus another 60 gallons in drums so I would love to go ahead and use it My Question: All of the control handles feel (with no experience) like they are functioning properly. I have a dry clutch that I can look at through the floor panel. My clutch handle does not seem to "click". I can push it to about 1" before it hits the front of the slot and I can see the clutch brake pads engaging. BUT the shaft never stops spinning and I can hear the engine bog down as I push harder forward (I believe I read that the clutch should come to a stop allowing change of gears). I can put it into a gear but when I attempt to put it into forward or reverse I grind against gears. But when I pull the clutch backward the 3 spring looking devices do not allow me to click backward. As I understand it that would be a normal running condition with the clutch "lock in" to the flywheel/clutch on the front side. This does not seem right and I am hoping that I do not break anything Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1catman132023-02-23 21:51

    not sure on the clutch, but the diesel is fine just run it until use it all up

  2. #2Puffie402023-03-03 11:47

    Sounds like the main clutch is stuck. When you are trying to engage the clutch brake, the clutch should be disengaged, and not bog down the engine. Check inside the clutch compartment to see if the plates move. The clutch may break free if you can get it in gear and ram against something with the clutch disengaged, but you likely will have to go in there and pry it apart.

  3. #3skyking12023-03-03 16:26

    If that is indeed the clutch brake that is slowing it down, don't do that anymore. I have no idea how to free it up but someone will be along that knows just how to get after it. There's always some trick.