Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

concrete crushing

Randy88 ยท 2011-02-06 08:36

I've been tearing out old concrete and as of today we've done maybe 40 loads in a 22 ft. end dump with about 60 plus loads to go, I can use the crushed material if I can cost effectively crush it otherwise we've been hauling it 30 miles round trip and dumping it into a ravine and buying gravel back to replace it with. Is there anything out there to crush this with that maybe I could rent for a short time, I've looked for someone to crush it for me and nobody wants to come in for such a small amount. There is very little rebar in it and we've been breaking it up with a skid steer with a hydraulic breaker on it. We looked into a crushing bucket on a skid steer and all the rental shop said was for the volume I've got forget it and look elsewhere, you'll never live long enough to get the job done with one of those. I'd thought of a crushing bucket on an excavator but neither of my excavators are plumbed, I might consider adding it on but I haven't been able to locate a bucket crusher to rent anyhow. I've seen the small tracked units that would work but none that I could rent, only buy and for what little I have to do that's not cost effective. Unless someone has any ideas we'll probably just haul it out and replace it but I thought that was a waste of time and material. I've been offered a place to dump it for now until I have enough stockpiled to crush and that's at an abandoned quarry about two miles away, but they didn't want it left there forever. I'd need it crushed anywhere from 1-3 inches for different needs. I'm open to any ideas or thoughts, thanks in advance.

Replies36
  1. #1mitch5042011-02-06 17:10

    maybe you could buy an old bare jaw crusher, then sell it again or keep it for the next time

  2. #2Randy882011-02-06 17:48

    Any ideas where to even look for one and what size would you recommend? I've found nothing other than almost brand new and way too high priced.

  3. #3mitch5042011-02-07 01:09

    I've done business w/ this guy, I know he's a long way from you, but he does business all over everywhere. If can't rent or sell you what you need, he'll probably know somebody nearer to you who can. He's always been straight w/ me, and helpful. http://www.sandscience.com/ Last time I was on his yard he had a lot of cheap stuff that wasn't on his website. There's also Rock and Dirt magazine, and several quarry equip sales papers. Good Luck

  4. #4Randy882011-02-09 19:08

    No leads or ideas with anyone I contacted so far, does anyone have any experience with either bucket crushers on skid steers or else the bucket jaw crushers on an excavator? I've only ever seen one skid steer unit and never seen it run in person only on videos, not really impressed but the bucket jaw crushers on an excavator maybe but nobody I've talked to had any actual expereince with one either, any thoughts?

  5. #5Abscraperguy2011-02-09 20:05

    These machines are terribly expensive for what you get and used ones are hard to find but I think they do an ok job. I've been thinking of building one for myself. http://www.impactor2000.com/

  6. #6ScottAR2011-03-03 18:02

    In the future, my area will run out of rubble fills and concrete will be a nuisance to bury. My idea is to have a dumping area that I could crush every so often and sell the product if I could keep costs down to cheaper than crushed limestone. ($400-$450 a quad load last I checked when fuel was slightly cheaper) I have also thought of keeping portable so I could move if there was enough product to pencil out. This entirely an air castle at this point so feel free to give me the bad news. My workforce would be 1-2 people preferably. How would you set it up? What type of crusher? What are the issues what said machine? I don't know enough to know what I don't know. I hope this hijack is at least entertaining.... let the replies begin!

  7. #7plowking7402011-03-03 18:41

    i would look for a small uesd tracked impact crusher. Jaw crusher and rebar do not go well together. try a terex or pegeason. good place to start would be machery trader.com

  8. #8grandpa2011-03-03 19:02

    Randy...... to effectively crush concrete takes some serious iron at serious prices. To start the process your gonna need an excavator with a thumb to feed the crushing spread. Then the next piece in the line-up would be a primary jaw crusher, which at the least should be 22x34. Next would come a magnet to remove the iron from your concrete. The primary crusher will only crush it down to a 4 to 5 inch size so if you prefer a smaller spec. material your gonna have to add a secondary crusher be it cone, roll, or impact. A stacking conveyor or a loader will be needed to put the material in a stockpile. A generator will be needed to run the whole spread unless each unit has its own diesel/gas power So you see it takes alot to reduce concrete rubble to a saleable product and in my opinion your gonna have a tuff time find someone to move in to crush a hundred truck loads..... Good luck, Grampa

  9. #9big b2011-03-04 02:13

    My friend just demo a bucket jaw crusher for his pc 400 and said he hated it. The bigest complaint is it takes to long. He is trying to get a moble jaw crusher for his site.

  10. #10Boss2011-03-04 03:03

    I'll do it for roughly $650 an hour . I'm sure there has to be some equipment rental outfit around you, most rental places have only newer equipment for rent. I personally as a contractor would rent any one anything for the right price, so keep checking out other screening and crushing companies.

  11. #11bob b2011-03-08 11:20

    ive seen a bucket crusher on an excavator in action. it can crush a chunk about one foot thick and two foot square. it can take it down to maybe two inch. its heavy and the bucket is not very big on the inside. i would say that speed is not one of its strong points. also seems kinda pricey to me. also if dust is a concern you may need a hoseman to go with it.

  12. #12Randy882011-03-09 23:31

    I haven't come up with anything usable for options on this so until I do it looks like I"ll haul it all offsite and use it for fill to fill up a neighbors hole he didn't know he needed filled until I told him he should and haul all crushed rock back in, seems like a lot of work and expense until you compare what few options I have and how slow they are to do, even if we did it and took no consideration for our time we'd end up behind, as they say it cost a lot of money to save a little, reminds me of a government operation, spend 5 bucks to save 10 cents and call it recycling and going green but thats a whole different discussion. If someone comes up with the miracle cure all for this problem let me know, I was just hoping someone had the answer I didn't know about.

  13. #13DGODGR2011-03-10 08:31

    I know someone in CA who uses an Eco Crusher. He runs it on Cat 330s and he likes it for small jobs like you are describing. I looked into buying one too but the bottom fell out right before I pulled the trigger. While it will not keep up with the production rates of either a portable or static it mkaes up for it in lower capitol outlay, and transport/setup costs are practically nill. Furthermore, the entire operation can usually be accomplished with ONE machine and operator. I was going to run one on a 315C that was not plummed. It was going to cost around $6k to get set up (I was talking to HKX, very knowledgeable and helpfull) and it was going to cost around $70k for the crusher. My model was to use it on custom residential that required rock blasting. Cost per ton was slightly higher than what I could buy crushed rock for but I would not need to export or import. IMO it would not have any trouble keeping up with the productivity of a skid steer with a breaker. Area required to work in should be small enough to allow you to keep all material on site if you need it for backfill. These machines are not good for creating spec. material and take longer if you want to crush into small rock. I think 1.5" is the smallest but you will get better info from EcoCrusher. I did not especially like that these are imported from Italy but my friend says that the ones made in the US are not as good. His EcoCrusher is a jaw unit (I think that's all they offer) and he says that rebar is not a problem. Concrete may take longer to crush than rock because it is not very hard when compared to many natural rocks. Oddly enough he says that the harder stuff breaks faster because the crushing energy is not "absorbed" by the material. Check it out on the web. They have lots of info and you can find lots of video of these units in action.

  14. #14Colorado Digger2011-03-10 23:01

    how ig do you think you could crush on a 315 1.5'? or not even.it seem that size rock 1-2.5' only work to bury and build debris flows.

  15. #15Zeke2011-03-28 17:30

    Have a look at the Genesis units.They have some concrete crackers & pulverizers that fit onto the mechanical end of your stick.(3rd member)They run off the bucket hyd.You never find them used,but you could probably sell it when you're done.I just looked it up & the smallest machine is s'pose to be 40,000lb.They also have a multiprocessor that can be put on a small excavator or skidsteer...saw it at ConExpo last week.

  16. #16Randy882011-03-31 06:52

    Looked at them and thanks for the imput but I think it'll be way to slow to attempt to recrush already broken out concrete to be reused as fill material for cement work, maybe if I needed it for building fill or something like that where size didn't matter much but I'm needing it broken down to 1.5-3 inch stuff, looks like the dump it in a ditch type operation is going to be the most cost effective way to go to me and replace with gravel.

  17. #17CMSMOKE2011-07-15 14:40

    I worked at a place that we used a 10 x 24 jaw crusher driven with a 671 Detroit PTO unit with a flat belt. It was on a stand high enough to get a conveyer under it. We switched the head and tail on the conveyer so that it was driven by the flywheel of the crusher. There was a chute on it that we loaded with the front of a backhoe or track loader. The chute was angled about the same as the conveyer. You had to watch how fast you fed it so that it wouldnt jam up. It would do 50 to 75 tons/hour depending on how tight the jaws were set. We had it set to abot #4 size and smaller. We dumped onto a dual screen deck and got #4 off of the top, #2 out the middle and dust or pipe bedding out of the bottom. If the concrete was hoe rammed small enough that one of the dimensions fit in the crusher jaws, it would go through. It worked as well with bricks, blacktop, sandstone and oversize bankshale. If you do this type of work frequently, it may be worth the time to come up with a design that works for you.

  18. #18Randy882011-07-31 08:16

    CMSMOKE, did you do any with rebar in it and if so how much and how did you remove the rebar? I've been asking around and there might be a need for some kind of outfit to crush concrete, I've still got about another couple hundred loads to go, the job got bigger over time and now we are removing more buildings and concrete lots to go with them to make room for a new bigger building. Seems I'm not the only one tired of doing nothing but hauling out old and bringing in new gravel, others are wanting to eliminate trucking as well but the new larger units are out of the price range completely for me. Mine has virtually no rebar in it but others will have some.

  19. #19OBPM2011-07-31 09:26

    We used a small crusher to process about 300 tons of 4" thick concrete with no rebar. I was pretty impressed with it's capability for such a small portable machine. It took about 4 days to crush the material. We did the same as you by reducing the material into manageable chunks before processing. We found that just because it fits into the hopper doesn't mean it will crush it effectively. It takes much longer for it to grab a large chunk rather than a smaller piece. Once we found the sweet spot, it went remarkably well. I believe it sells for around $12,000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAGVZIlSegU http://www.ezgrout.com/pages_products/material_recycling_systems/products_hog_crusher.php

  20. #20Randy882011-07-31 14:09

    I wanted to rent one of those here and when I told the guy how many loads I had to do he told me to not come and even try it, I'd be at it for months and very unhappy with its performance and output, I asked if they made one bigger and he told me no they didn't, this was my original idea but so far everyone has told me to think of something else with more size capability and output per hour. I've even asked about the ones that fit onto an excavator and was told the same thing, for what they cost and how long it would take, its still not cost effective to recycle it. I'm thinking more towards what CMSMOKE described for a crusher, I've seen a few that were just sold on auctions but missed them and have my eye out for some coming up. For fill material to be used inside under concrete to be poured later I wouldn't even have to sort it out at all just reduce it to about 2-4 inch and dump it back in as fill material.

  21. #21OBPM2011-07-31 15:34

    There is a company called Red Rhino that makes a larger skid steer crusher that claims to have an output of 20 t.p.h. The sell for around $35,000. They also have a track unit at 45 t.p.h. for about $100,000 more. http://www.redrhinocrushers.com/ Did you try jwjonescompany.com or rrequipment.com or grindercrusherscreen.com?

  22. #22CMSMOKE2011-08-02 13:01

    We had a grunt pick out as much as possible during dig out or after dumping/piling. A torch or cut off saw was always part of the equipment. Long chunks of rebar were cut off of concrete clusters and removed before crushing. The smaller pieces of rebar didn't hurt anything in the crusher. You had to watch that a stray long piece didn't fall out of the crusher and cut the conveyor belt. A man could pick the smalls off of the belt or you could mount a magnet on the end. Steel mill slag reclamation plants do this all the time, not for rebar, but for other scrap used in the process.

  23. #23Randy882011-08-02 13:26

    CM was it a put together unit on a chassis with the engine right on it or was it pieced together and a skid type unit with a separate power unit. I've been told the dimensions of the material need to be smaller than the smallest opening or for a 10x24 jaw stuff would need to be no bigger than about 8 inches square or it wouldn't feed in at all? OBPM, I've looked at the smaller red rhino unit but hadn't seen the larger one, any of the used machines on the websites were still over my budget, by about 100k or more, this is a small type operation with low overhead, I was thinking maybe something along CM's line on a chassis for under 20k if possible but maybe thats not even realistic, seen a few sell on auctions [too late of course] and they don't bring much, they are too small for anyone else's needs I've been told but are hard to find none the less. Thanks for the replies guys and taking the time to offer advice and input.

  24. #24CMSMOKE2011-08-02 14:00

    The crusher and power unit were on the same skid. It weight about 10 tons. We lifted it onto a trailer, when we had to move it. It was also overwidth, so a permit was legally needed. The conveyor had a pintle loop on it for towing. The material only needed to fit in on direction. In other words if you had a small slab, say 8" thick x 18" wide. It could be 20 feet long if you could feed it in right. Generally speaking, once you dump slowly onto a chute, the pieces would automatically slide down flat and drop right in. If you tried to put something in that was close to the 10" size of the jaw opening the piece would slide up and down with the jaws. If you left it sit there long enough or added some more material, it may or may not catch and go through. You were better off to fish it out at that point. Size your crusher to the largest thickness you may come across. Almost everything we did was 10" thick or less. Sometimes you needed to hoe ram them smaller. Large crushers sometimes have a hoe ram mounted right on the crusher others you can set up with a machine mounted one and reach in to remedy the situation. You could roll the stuck piece around with a bar and get it through, but that is very dangerous and not recommended. We tried to hammer the material to a size that didn't damage a truck bed when loading out. That helped to make sure that it fit in the crusher and helped with rebar removal as well.

  25. #25Randy882011-08-03 08:10

    Thanks for the explanation it helps a lot, I was needing something a little bigger than 10x24. A few have told me to get a larger primary crusher and then use a smaller jar afterwards but thats getting too pricey and into too much crusher for my needs. I'll keep looking for something to come along, it will eventually, I just need to be there when it does. Again thanks for reply.

  26. #26grandpa2011-08-03 19:07

    you guys might find this interesting http://www.youtube.com/genequip#p/u/2/qhnlfurhMnE

  27. #27Sparkie2011-08-06 23:23

    They have some Superior stuff on their channel too grandpa. Made in our home state, my home town in fact. They also make crushers but probably a bit big for what you're looking for ***

  28. #28grandpa2011-08-07 16:18

    I know the Superior line quite well Sparky. I own a Superior built crusher and all my converyors are Superior. In 1973 I bought two 1970 Ford Louisville trucks from Wayne Schmidgall , and a couple years later purchased a superior conveyor constructed by Wayne.s son Neil. I also had some warrenty work performed on some Superior equipment which was performed by Neil's son Paul, who I believe is the president of Superior today.

  29. #29Blacksmoke072011-08-07 19:46

    Probably overkill for your job, but just to show how we have been doing it on our job. We used these guys to come in and break it antigoconstruction.com and then we used one of our 345b's to pull the rebar out (alot of it).

  30. #30Sparkie2011-08-08 01:48

    Indeed he is. Paul bought the company from Neil shortly after Neil bought it back from Aztec. Those were the bad years.. My old man used to haul conveyors out of there all the time and when Aztec owned it it wasn't uncommon to find handfuls of nuts and bolts that had rattled loose. Neil lost alot in that move but the quality jumped right back up. Working at the co-op in town I've had a chance to talk to him alot and he's nothing but a great guy.

  31. #31Eco-Crusher2011-08-10 11:10

    Hey guys, I am Larry the guy who bought the 1st Jaw crusher bucket in North America back in 2005 for my construction company here in NJ. I started the company Eco-Crusher soon after have sold and serviced 80% of all Jaw crusher buckets in the US to date so i hope this information is helpful. This thread was awesome to read and mostly true and sorry i did not come across it earlier. Jaw bucket crushers are slow but can be efficient when put into the correct application. They are good in about 40% of the jobs from what I have seen. The guys who use have them in the correct application are making bank as much as the guys who are not are loosing money daily. I turn away as many customers as we take in becasue they do not have the correct appication and it will end up coming back on us somehow. The main thing you should all consider before anything is the application your putting it in. Second is the machine and third would be production needed. Machine size, material size going in and out put setting determines tons per hour which in turn gives you cost per ton. You are correct that you might only get 200 tons crushed in one day, but if your total cost was $1000 it only cost you $5 a ton. Cutting out the transport is one major key to sucess when onsite processing of materials. You should all know that even though the JAW was first to market it is not the best represention of bucket crushers. There are other styles to consider and technology has came a long way. The Rotary bucket crushers are a much newer and higher prodution machines. I will not make this a sales pitch by any means but look up the CBE50 VS the BF120 on youtube and watch the head to head comparisons. I can say that in my construction company we run a CBE50 on a 485 and get about 150 CY an HR crushing asphalt, bricks and debris mixed with dirt. Clean 4000psi concrete is about 90CY an HR down to 3" minus. We figure it is costing us about $2 a ton to crush onsite with the rotary crusher which is awesome considering it was costing us about $10 a ton to just haul it away and get rid of it. We then screen it to 1" minus for parking lots and road bedding and the oversized we use for construction entrances and soft spots on the jobs which adds about another $1.5 per ton still well below purchase price. These units are the bomb if your looking for the highest prodution of size reduction. Ecocrusher1 is the youtube channel which has over 20 videos which can be very telling of the products available today. We still use the original BF90 #250 in our company to this date and it has paid for itself many times over. We mostly now just use it for crushing 1" minus onsite for smaller jobs. There are also skid steer models and mini excavator models that put out about 100 ton a day which is not alot but again if your cost for the day is $500 you are at about $5 a ton which is cheaper then hauling it away. PLease feel free to ask any and all questions about crusher buckets and or any onsite processing of material. We are contractors 1st that happen to also have a company that sells what we use and believe. DGODGR you are very knowlegable and have surely done your homework. LARRY

  32. #32Randy882011-08-10 15:07

    Ok questions for Eco crusher, not looking for a sales pitch per say but tell us more about the skid steer, backhoe/loader version and how to adjust it for different size material and how large of material you can dump in it to crush, next how much rebar can it handle and what size rebar, also how about cables and mesh type reinforcing will it do that as well or just wrap up on the rotary drum. Next why is the rotary better for concrete and rebar vs the jaw.

  33. #33ror76a2011-08-10 21:20

    Eco crusher, I would like to hear more about the rotary crusher. What kind of performance would you expect from one that a 25 ton excavator could run? Also what is the cost range (purchase price and wear items) for a crusher like this? or at least an idea of how much. Thanks

  34. #34Eco-Crusher2011-09-06 17:51

    Hey guys, Sorry I am on the road alot and don't log onto these forums often enough. Randy, Thanks for the questions and they are good ones at that. You seem to be very knowledable and hands on. I would like to first point out you are asking about the CB line for SS & loaders and not the CBE line which I referred to above which is much stronger because of the amount of additional pressures and flows on an excavator. OK so the CB line; The size adjustments are not as easy or convenient as the Jaw, cylinder style or an impactor. It can be changed by changing the bars that the teeth push between. This takes about 20 minutes depending on which size unit. If you have a 24" rotor you should try to get the material going in down to 50% of that or 12" minus in this case for a feed product. The CB line can handle rebar but you need your machine to meet the MAX end of the specs and not the MIN or you will not have the power to snap it. Most of these SS and loader models handle the #4 bar and the larger ones I have seen handle the #5 bar but i have not had anything bigger to date. Cables are not ideal and i would always recomend a JAW if your in a cable situation. A great example would be concrete RR ties which have prestressed cables in them. I have not even tried the CB line on them and always go directly to the JAW when someone has these. Mesh is not really an issue because it breaks easy. You might have some get around the rotor but as you crush more concrete you break and push that out and new replaces it but it is not a problem. The most I have experiences was having to cut some off with a torch after a few days of running it and that took about 5 minutes with no damage. The key to keeping the rotor cler is when you are going for another bucket you should run it in reverse. this allows the cleaning blades to unwind the products in question. The more regimented you are with that, the less a concern it becomes. Next why is the rotary better for concrete and rebar vs the jaw. I never really said it was better and sorry if i came across that way, just different and most times more cost effective. The rumor is that a rotary can not handle any rebar so i refer to youtube so you can clearly see that is not true. I can tell you that when we go head to head for comparison with the JAW and Rotary the Rotary did out perform the JAW each time. But realize we were putting them through some very tough situations and it so happens the results were what they were. I will say that the JAW definately cleans every drop of concrete off the rebar and barely marks the rebar at all when set to the correct discharge size. The JAW is awesome on concrete RR ties. The Rotary can handle way more variables such as real life jobsite conditions like dirt and wood and roots mixed in with the concrete which absolutly slows the JAW to nothing. I hope this helps

  35. #35Eco-Crusher2011-09-06 18:15

    ror76a, That machine is right in between running a CBE30 or a CBE40, depending on your machines hydraulics. Remember I am not here to sell so I really don't want to go against the rules of the forum. I can talk about application and experience all day long I believe. I can say these units probably rannge from $55k to $75K. you would have to contact the company for that information. I saw a cat 325 with a CBE30 getting over 50 tons an hour when i was first looking into these units. I had done the math back then and the customer told me his cost was under 600 euros a day (under $900) and producing about 265 cubic meters (500t) a day. After I did the conversion I believe his cost was about $2 a ton but I don't remember exactly. In our contruction company it is still costing me about $2 a ton with the CBE50 and wear cost we ussually add at least 15 cents a ton for wear cost. If you do contact www.ecocrusher.com I can help you with much more details.

  36. #36Randy882011-09-07 08:50

    Eco-crusher, thanks for the reply, excellent post and explanation, what are the specifications and weight on the skid steer model, just out of curiosity, and when your talking about wear items and cost what are the wear items on a jaw, I'd think just the opposite would be true, there is virtually nothing to replace but the jaws on a jaw crusher and there are a lot more moving parts on a rotary crusher, not only in contact to material but also behind the sheet metal as well. When you replace the rotary parts do they come off the shaft or just replace the entire rotor and put in new, what parts are replaceable and what are not? Also on both the excavator and skid steer models do they have drive gear boxes to run the rotors or chains, what is there to fix and replace and how much maintenance is there to one. Also are the rotors hard surfaced or made of AR steel or something for added wear protection and what is the life expectancy to a rotor and set of stripper plates? Yes I do have some hands on experience, I own and operate the equipment and also fix it daily, the repair is more important to me than the output, I can handle less output if repairing is easier and cheaper, so I like to know what there is to it and how it works so to speak to save me headaches later on down the road of life.