Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cone or Impact ?

rockbreakr ยท 2015-02-12 01:31

New to posting but have been enjoying reading. I was wondering what the people that use them could tell me about the pros and cons of cone crusher versus impact crusher for secondary after a jaw. I'm running an Extec C12+ into a jaw-roll that don't keep up. I crush some concrete but also alot of very hard basalt and lava rock. Also will be doing some quartzite. I'm wondering how an impact holds up in hard rock, will I always be replacing wear parts? If i had an impact i could use it by itself for some concrete jobs where a cone i could not. Also what kind would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Replies10
  1. #1RonG2015-02-12 02:24

    It sounds like you should stay with with the jaw crusher based on the material that you are crushing,I think that replacing the wear items would be easier with the jaw crusher too.I think that the cone crusher would be better for a quarry where you might be processing spec work and needed more control over the product.This is based on my observation over the years and by no means am I an authority on it but have worked on and around crushers a lot over the years.Ron G

  2. #2grandpa2015-02-12 06:37

    If your going to crush hard rock, that will rule the impactor out. As far as type that's like asking between Ford or Chevy.....

  3. #3rockbreakr2015-02-12 23:04

    Well i need to get it down to 1 inch. Do you know an efficient way to get that out of a jaw?

  4. #4Shimmy12015-02-12 23:20

    You need a bigger jaw-roll. Or a cone. We have had a couple different guys crush gravel for us with impact crushers. Thing with an impact, from what they say, is an impact needs to be FULL all the time if it's going to not self-destruct. Not really possible unless you have a couple of primaries dumping into a hopper feeder that will keep the impact stuffed. I'm only speaking secondhand, and these guys were just trying to keep busy, their main work was concrete recycle. They found out the hard way that the impact wore down fast when crushing rock.

  5. #5grandpa2015-02-13 07:36

    Rockbreaker.... wish we could help you, but using a primary getting material down to one inch efficiently just isn't going to happen.

  6. #6hvy 1ton2015-02-14 18:59

    He's looking for a secondary that will keep up with his extec 12+ jaw. I don't think an impactor is gonna like all that hard rock. I don't know what size cone will match up well with your jaw, but you probably want a cone. If you're trying to meet a spec it might be worthwhile to buy one with an oversize return.

  7. #7rockbreakr2015-02-14 20:17

    Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on a Svedala H3000 ?

  8. #8crusher guy2015-02-26 21:35

    Svedala is a good cone crusher. As for your first question a cone would be your ideal choice, but if your wishing to process concrete with it I would not recommend it. You can get the same results with a impact crusher and still be able to use if for concrete when you want. Your wear will be higher with the impactor but you have the versatility with it.

  9. #9crusher guy2015-02-26 21:37

    Oh you also do NOT want to force feed a impact crusher. They are not a choke feed like a jaw or cone. If you over feed one you will either slow and possible stall the rotor or your aprons will be force open and you will not get the final size you are looking for.

  10. #10Conwayma20052015-03-03 12:23

    CrusherGuy is right. Choke feed a cone not an impactor. The wear on your impactor will depend a lot on your material. Some hard rock breaks quite easily with an impactor because of natural fissures. Basalt and quartzite can be very aggressive on blow bars, but lava rock wears a lot on cones. Again to agree with crusherguy, for concrete you're going to be better off with an impactor