Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Congratulations to me!

ianjoub · 2021-12-20 12:29

I just entered into a purchase agreement for 222 acres northwest of Knoxville, TN about 10 miles from the KY border. This is unimproved land up in hill (mountain) country. Only the south side of the river here https://tnmap.tn.gov/assessment/?GISLink=007067++++01400 https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5008362,-84.0877835,15z/data=!5m1!1e4 https://bid.ayersauctionrealty.com/lot-details/index/catalog/30044/lot/4636631 So, I have some questions. I want to get a bulldozer to create some roads, and knock off the tops of some of those hills to create some homesite space. How large of a machine do I need to effectively use a rock ripper? What would be the best 2nd machine to have on site (I am assuming an excavator)? Who would I use to insure these things? I use State Farm now for house/car/boat etc... but have not called them to see if they would insure such things. Would you recommend something besides the dozer as a first? I am likely a year out from being up there and starting my project, but are any of you in the area who I could hire to inspect machines after I find a few potentials and before I make offers? I am doing this for fun as much as to actually accomplish anything, so I don't want to start by just hiring a land development company. I have owned and operated a Clark/Michigan 125B wheel loader and a CAT287B MTL. Both have been here in FL on the flat sand though. Thanks in advance and fire away, I have a thick skin.

Replies9
  1. #1Bootheal2021-12-20 13:19

    Agree - congratulations to you! No contribution on what you need but from Florida to hill country…. Be extremely careful. Big stuff does some crazy things when the process is not though out carefully. Best of luck on your new adventure.

  2. #2ianjoub2021-12-20 15:19

    Provided the wrong link earlier and was unable to edit now... This one is correct. https://tnmap.tn.gov/assessment/?GISLink=007025++++01400

  3. #3Pixie2021-12-20 16:23

    Congratulations !!! I have a large piece of land and I've had lots of fun with it.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2021-12-20 17:12

    Is this anywhere near helenwood?

  5. #5ianjoub2021-12-20 17:19

    40 or so miles east of there

  6. #6joe--h2021-12-21 00:38

    This wooded tract is just ideal for any outdoor oriented activity. There are existing trails through the property, and it joins Hickory Creek for several thousand feet. This is going to turn into one of those "How do I keep these #@$%^& off my land? They're tearing up my new driveway ect." Joe H

  7. #7aighead2021-12-21 08:40

    Oh man! Good stuff! That's nice country out there, and free spring water at the bottom of the hill on 25w, but that spring probably comes from your new neck of the woods. I assume that's close to Cloud Mountain (I think is what it's called, with the buffalo farm?)? Also, prepare to have lots of fun on 25w with the Ferrari, it's one of the best roads I've ever driven, between Jellico and LaFollette. It's a great windy road through the woods and along a river with huge cliffs along a lot of one side, where the cliffs go up, so you are less likely to drive off of them! Really, as far as crazy back roads go this one is relatively safe, sparsely populated and lots of fun. Let me know when you hit it!

  8. #8Old Doug2021-12-21 09:57

    I dont know if your brand loyal but find out what dealers are near by and ask around about them. The size depends on how much you want to spend , how fast you want it done and if you need to transport it much. A D6 would be good . If you buy used be very care full spend the money have a mechanic look at it and get a lawyer to help with warranty papers.

  9. #9aighead2021-12-21 10:04

    McCloud Mountain, I almost had it. There's also a very neat ridge as seen on the right, the road that the restaurant and lodge are on, in the picture below. There are some houses that sit right on the edge of the tallest hill around that looks out on, basically, the entire south of the state of Tennessee, looks to be at about 2400'. https://www.mtcloud.com/ The view on their website is worth a look. Cumberland Gap ( https://www.nps.gov/cuga/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm ) is also worth a visit, just off to the east, where Tennessee, Virginia, and Kentucky all meet, views like the 2nd and 3rd below, from Pinnacle Overlook. Some nice hiking too.