Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Considering a D8N

nicky 68a ยท 2016-06-19 12:52

Hello,I am considering buying a D8N to look a bit more in the 21st century than my D8H tractors. I know know nothing about them and am just starting to learn a few things about them. I wonder if any of you chaps could shed some light on them. Many thanks Nicky Lamb

Replies22
  1. #1BuMach2016-06-19 15:20

    Hi Nicky, What kind of hours would you be looking for on the D8? Maybe it narrows some info on here. Cheers Meindert

  2. #2Tinkerer2016-06-19 15:41

    I put thousands of hours on D8Ns Nicky, and a that many on D8Hs.The best thing you can do is get on one and run it. All the words and advice in the world cannot begin to let you know the difference. You will absolutely love the 8N. The differential steering is an amazing thing compared to clutches and brakes. No more sore knees. The speed of the blade tilt will also amaze you.

  3. #3RonG2016-06-19 16:48

    I have a lot of hours on a D8H/D8K and they are probably my favorite dozer.I have also run a D8N for a season and can't say that I would ever want to park it in exchange for one of the older ones although the N had a cab and A/C etc but they have good balance and are nimble,I think that you would like them as an operator.Ron G

  4. #4Nige2016-06-20 05:15

    One thing to remember is that the 8N is signficantly heavier than the 8H which could potentially lead to flotation problems if they were running the same width shoes, that's if flotation is a problem of course. Also will it run you into transport issues moving them from one job site to another..?

  5. #5RonG2016-06-20 07:21

    I hate to think of losing Nickys posts with all the pics of those old D8s he shares with us.Ron G

  6. #6nicky 68a2016-06-20 11:44

    Thanks to all of your input chaps. The extra weight won't be much of a hassle to me but I think I need the later 5TJ series instead of the older 9TC? Something to do with the pumps incase I ever stick a box on it. I guess I would also consider an R series,but all that electric scares me. I can usually start old 8's up with a hammer,but reckon a new one might not be too happy with my technical knowledge of electrics! Ron,I will allways keep at least one old 8 and box mate.Don't worry.

  7. #7nicky 68a2016-06-20 11:47

    What ever I can afford Meindert.I have littler Machinery looking through Europe as we speak.I am doing the deal through him as he has more experience than I do of importing.I have exported Dozers and motorscraper before though

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2016-06-20 12:08

    D-8N's seem to have a long life. They are low enough on power that they do not hurt themselves. To really move into the new world, try an "R" model. Electrical on an early R is not bad, barely more than a N model. I believe that they are the best ever with a balance of production, reliability, and long life.

  9. #9nicky 68a2016-06-20 12:14

    What ever I can afford Meindert.I have littler Machinery looking through Europe as we speak.I am doing the deal through him as he has more experience than I do of importing.I have exported Dozers and motorscraper before though

  10. #10nicky 68a2016-06-20 12:23

    Very well put Tinkerer. Fair comment

  11. #11nicky 68a2016-06-20 12:28

    Thanks Jerry.Will be asking my fitter about them tomorrow. An R series may also fit the bill

  12. #12Nige2016-06-20 13:40

    Basically any model of tractor in that size class is rebuildable an infinitum provided the chassis is still good. The selling price will depend to a great extent on what stage in the rebuild process the tractor actually is. For example it could be recently rebuilt nose-to-tail and therefore attract a pretty high selling price. On the other hand it might be on its last breath and need a complete rebuild, therefore the selling price ought not to be much more than scrap price.... I second Jerry's suggestion of widening your search to include the D8R because they have a bit more oomph than the N, on paper at least. Also they still are not all that electronic, and maybe the diff steer might be a bonus for you. Personally I don't like it apart from in certain conditions, but those conditions might just be what you're operating in. Here's a link to the specalog for the D8R ........ http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C785813

  13. #13ih1002016-06-20 15:01

    Personally on a blade I much prefer diff steer, what's not to like about being able to push through a curve with power to both tracks? They perform better on batters as well, and arguably are safer than clutches in that situation. Well, I'd argue it, anyway. On a box, no idea, that's outside of my pay grade, but someone on here will know.

  14. #14Nige2016-06-20 16:00

    IH, in mining where you're not working to fine tolerances the most usual method of steering is by using the blade tilt, i.e. dropping one corner. Diff steer is just something else to go wrong, and worse still it's inside the back end where you can't get at it without pulling the transmission.

  15. #15BuMach2016-06-20 16:13

    no worries mate, there are a few around. they dont sell them that much here. I'm guessing the electrical on a D8 would be a bit simpler and better then on the D6N's (not that they have a lot off issues, atleast not at my costumers) but the D8 is more "mining tough" build. (or is it just my toughts?) also the undercarrage is pretty smooth (as much as it can) with the boogie system. if you want a EU machine, maybe give Ligro trading (they know there stuff!) or Smitma trading a call (i line-bore for them) Goodluck with the search and looking forward to see some pics from the new work horse:drinkup

  16. #16ih1002016-06-21 13:25
  17. #17Nige2016-06-21 13:39

    From memory diff steer were more expensive to rebuild than a clutch & brake machine, but without digging I couldn't say by how much.

  18. #18R.D.G0132016-06-22 04:10

    Think the 8 N, R and T only ever came out with Diff steer, clutch/ brake steering was never available on them.

  19. #19nicky 68a2016-06-22 05:21

    I have littler Machinery on the trail for me?and I'm sure he will know of those chaps. Thanks for nod.I will take a look at their web

  20. #20nicky 68a2016-06-22 06:02

    Nige,will be mainly slot dozing.Wont be any scraper muck

  21. #21Cam852016-06-23 21:14

    Love diff steer and out of all the tractors I've driven the r series are without a doubt the best. In particular the d8r series two seems to b the clear performer in most any situation power to weight length with ballence fuel burn component life and price. I haven't diven anything that even comes close leaves the n in it wake and crapps all over the t

  22. #22lantraxco2016-06-23 22:16

    hmmm, he crapped out?......