Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Considering an older New Holland L785… Opinions?

derekbroerse ยท 2011-02-18 14:50

Looking for opinions on a '90-'94ish NH L785 skid steer. Haven't been to see it yet but looks like original paint (so-so but then again it is 17+ years old) and is reported to be nice and tight. Hours unknown. Here is the actual posted ad: "Used New Holland diesel skid steer, 57HP, rated operating capacity 2050Lb and has additional weights. c/w large bucket, enclosed cab with heat, and two speed drive. unit clean and tight for the age." He's asking $7k for it, seems like a pretty decent deal to me compared to any other machines in the area, and most don't have the cab. I am looking for the machine for standard farm/landscaping purposes, snow removal, and salt loading. I like the idea of the NH style lift linkage as it seems to put the load further forward and have farther reach over a truck. My trucks are one ton dumps so they tend to be a little wide on the rear making it harder to load in the center of the spreader. Its all my B275 International tractor can do to be high enough and reach far enough to load it. I'm looking for opinions on this machine, and experiences with them. Are they tough machines? Or a little limp wristed? Reliable? Run the other way screaming? I may be wrong but they seem to be a larger skid steer but not overly powerful for the size. I've never run one so I can't say...but 57hp doesn't seem like much for a 7500lb machine. ps Its about 4 hours from here, so I wanna go once if I'm going to go at all. Anything you can offer will be appreciated.

Replies20
  1. #1derekbroerse2011-02-18 14:58

    This is a picture of the machine in question. As you can see it seems pretty nice for its age. Was also considering a really ancient wheel loader but while its half the price it also will be half as useful to me and parts may start getting hard to find. This would be better for loading salt and such, the wheel loader won't fit in there.

  2. #2koldsteele2011-02-19 09:47

    Is it Ford powered or Perkins ?? I own one just like it ,mines ford powered ..I use it mostly around the shop as another set of hands. Mine has 7000 hrs on it bought it used with about 5800 hrs on it .In its day it was the Daddy rabbit...I really like mine.. The motor got a little tired about 2 years ago and I built the motor ..Not too many other issues other than i wished the chain cases and hydraulics where seperate resivours...

  3. #3derekbroerse2011-02-22 01:56

    No one else has opinions on these?

  4. #4farmerbrown2011-02-22 22:04

    I have a NH 785 skid steer and love it. It has the perkins diesel engine with just shy of 10,000 hrs and still runes strong. The machine is perfectly balanced so that you can do fine grading and scoop into a pile with ease. The only thing that i don't like about it is that it has the old style nh quick tach plate which is not the universial hookup. Make sure that the machine has the new style plate because if it doesn't it is very hard to find attachments to fit it. The only other option is to buy the new style plate which is around $1500 for nh. All in all they are a good machine.

  5. #5derekbroerse2011-02-22 23:06

    Thanks for that. I received a reply from him, here it is: "it is perkins the plate is the standard one that all the skid steer's use hours are around 4300, park brake and lights not working, heat works good and 2 speed drive works"

  6. #6derekbroerse2011-02-22 23:09

    I don't know anything about the parking brakes on them, but the lights don't worry me any. Doesn't sound like a ton of hours for a machine of that age, which is probably why it is described as tight. Probably not a bad buy? Comments on the Perkins motor? How are they for starting in the cold?

  7. #7farmerbrown2011-02-23 13:00

    i havent had any problems with the perkins engine in mine. Yes, i dont get the full 57 hp out of mine with almost 10000 hrs but i can sure say i have got my monies worth. When ever i have to cold start i always plug in the block heater (not factory you have to add it) a few hours before i know ill need it. If all else fails and its really cold out mine has a built in either shooter which i hate to use but it works. the parking break isnt really that hard to fix, i rebuilt mine last winter and it only cost me about $100-200 for some linkage parts. The parking break really isn't needed as long as you have the steering linkage adjusted right.

  8. #8frogfarmer2011-02-23 18:52

    Machine looks good and was a very good machine in its day. Price seems high for what I find around here. Many of the LS170 machines with comparable hours can be had for that kind of money. The machines are tough and the main components are all available. Check it out and if its in very good shape it may be worth the money their asking. I would have concerns about the maintenance with the lights and park brake inop. Those are minor items but easy and cheap to fix so why were they neglected. I am very picky when buying and have made decisions based on whether the valve caps were on the tires or not.

  9. #9Deereman2011-02-23 21:25

    I know a guy that has 1 with a ford motor. Says he had the perkins before in a few of them and got rid of them. If im not mistaken you could also get a kubota in the later models?? Someone can clear me up if im wrong. The same guy has 2 L555 deluxes,L785, LS190. He has a nursery and is very rough on them. I'm suprised they have made it this far. Hopefully if you buy the machine it will hold out and do what you want it to. Good luck with the purchase!! Farmerbrown. It most likely has the old style. I'm with you I don't care for that old style. New style is the way to go..

  10. #10derekbroerse2011-02-24 02:27

    Really? I didn't think the price was bad at all. There is one other one here, only $6k but really rusty and rough. Looking thru google I found a dozen or so across north america and the cheapest is $7200, but it doesn't have the cab and heat. The one that did is $12k. There are two more on ebay that are $7300 and $6800, but neither has the cab/heat either. He's firm on the price, tax on top, and will not even throw in delivery (3hrs). Grrr.... My truck and trailer have a date with inspectors and smog police they haven't met yet and was trying to let go til spring, so maybe a friend of mine could get it for me for the cost of some diesel... gotta go see it first though.

  11. #11frogfarmer2011-02-27 15:17

    I base my pricing knowledge on what we get in at the shop and what we can buy for at auction. Because I work for a dealer I can get some really great deals. We get machines 10 years newer in on trade I can pick up in the 10k range depending on condition. I persoanlly didnt like the Perkins plants but the Ford plants had issues as well. Some would go 10,000 hours and some were done at 2000 hours biggest factor was likely the owners and the abuse they delt. If it looks good and the price is right for you enjoy your new machine. Once you get it youll wonder how you ever did without it.

  12. #12murphy7772011-02-28 06:43

    I have a 98-99 lx585, with high hours and I have been really happy with it...I had to adjust to my parking brake, and it is still a little loose, but that could also be my hand controls that push a bit even when they are not engaged. The brake is a pain to work on as with most skidsteer mechanicals, but mine had a threaded adjustment to tighten the spring that locks the brake plates, once I was able to tighten that the brake worked much better. 7000ish is a good deal, and you will find a ton of uses for the machine, I also have a block heater for mine, and I plug that in an hour orso before starting after sitting for 2 weeks of below freezing and it stsrts with no problems

  13. #13derekbroerse2011-03-15 03:32

    Thanks guys. I haven't managed to get out there yet, its still available. Now that the snow is turning more to rain I may have half a chance!

  14. #14richep2011-03-20 08:56

    Friend had one with the Perkins and had over 8000 hours with no problems when he sold it.

  15. #15TheCRkid2015-06-17 20:26

    We just picked up a running moving L785 for $2200 the loader arms are slow to move but its inside the shop and were checking into it

  16. #16Dutchofsc2015-06-21 13:30

    Way to go. I paid 50 bucks more for mine, around 5k hours and the bucket tilt would not work correctly. Found the spool valve was slightly turned, not in the motor or Viognier mode and bogged it down. I removed the line to the auxiliary and put a plug in its place for now. When I get auxiliary attachments I'll work on it some more. I built my own universal attachment plate using a tractor bracket with latches. I made up mounting arms arms and bushings for the pins to into. It's been great at only a few hundred bucks and about ten hours of work total. As far as reliability of the machine, I have not had any major problems in the last 2 years. Clean the screen regularly, change both filters as needed, keep the engine oil clean and grease the pins. It's hard to start in cold weather, the Perkins engine is cold natured. Does anyone know the flow of the hydraulics? I have not been able fi find an exact number anywhere. I want to put a hydraulic motor on a bush hog but don't know the specs.

  17. #17TheCRkid2015-07-02 13:39

    Does anyone know where the oil filter for the Hydraulic is located ? Im wondering is its clogged and holding the lift back all the seat safetys are functioning ...

  18. #18Dutchofsc2015-07-02 21:34

    there are 3 filters, one is a wire mesh, under the seat, inside a metal housing. You will need a 1/2 drive extention or large wrench to get at it. This is a suction screen so it would not be causing a lift issue, but should be checked regularly anyway. The next 2 are in the engine compartment, canister type. I get mine from car quest. Those are supposed to be bypass type, so they will let pressure by when clogged. That might not be your issue either. Does your boom not move at all? Does the bucket move freely? Does the machine make a wooshing (bypass) sound from the valves by your left foot? I have knocked the wires of the solenoid and was not able to lift up until I put them back on. If the bucket works but boom won't move at all, the issue will be with the interlock, may not be at the seet, maybe with wiring, maybe valve or coil. Let us know what you find.

  19. #19murphy7772015-07-03 05:51

    could it be bad seals in the lift cylinder? Another reason it is slow to lift could be an adjustment on the lift pedal, or there could be some debris under the pedal not allowing you fully depress the pedal to make it operate at max speed, I ve had it happen to my pedals when a lot of mud and dust and crud gets in there, the get a little stiff and I have to blow them out and hit them with some lube. hopefully it is as easy as that, good luck and let us know how the project goes.

  20. #20TheCRkid2015-08-31 20:22

    The Hyd oil was contaminated with water , we replaced it as best we could , then it started to operate well , untill the screen got clogged , the former owner use silicon to seal the 2 side plates and its getting picked up by the screen were going to run it lightly and keep cleaning the screen so far so good , powerful machine put a new seat in it , keeping it inside to avoiding water again (former owner had it out side for years uncovered) looking into the hi / low speed operation settings as it runs very fast one of the bucket latches is missing , looking online at http://www.messicks.com/vendor/new-holland its like $350 for all the parts to fix the latch , anyone buy from these guys ?