Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Console gas spring replacement – general question

Vit · 2023-01-09 08:38

Hello guys, my Bobcat 331E got console gas spring broken, I want to replace it, because now the hydraulic is "alive" all the time. Local dealer offered alternative gas spring, but asked how much force it should have. Original gas spring was Suspa C16-17127 and I googled it should have 450N, but even though the left console is heavy, I think the 450N is a bit overkill. Any idea how strong gas spring other machines have? Othervise I will try to weight the console and guess the value by myself :/

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2023-01-09 09:25

    450N is only 50kg. That’s not much in my opinion. I’m sure the manufacturer keeps in mind when they design it that the gas strut will become “tired” after a while and will not perform at full efficiency.

  2. #2thernandez2023-01-09 16:31

    450 N is a normal parameter for that aplication. If the lenght and the support pieces are compatible you can use an alternative- generic gas spring, and it shopuld not give you problems. Even could be of 500 N without any significant change

  3. #3Vit2023-01-11 15:17

    So I ordered 500N version and already installed it. Working like a charm, console is very stiff, but manageable going up and down. In down position, the new gas spring have tendency to push console up (as I feared) but there is original locking mechanism, so it's not a problem and I expect the gas spring to wear down a little after a year or so. Thx for your advices.