Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Console Symbol Meaning?

blooper ยท 2010-12-15 20:26

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 1988 komatsu pc200lc not sure if it's a - 3 or 5. My question is regarding the symbols on the drivers console, there is one that is infrequently flashing, it's under the warning side... But I can't find a legend for the symbols anywhere. I have no manual. I am assuming it is a low hydraulic level indicator, but I haven't run a machine since I was in university. The symbol has a flat line under a circle with waves in it. I can take a pic if needed. Any suggestions either what it is or where I can find a legend? Tks!

Replies11
  1. #1John C.2010-12-15 20:40

    I believe that is the low water in the reservoir alarm. There should be a plastic reservoir mounted above the batteries. Make sure there is coolant in there to cover the sensor. There are two wires going into a sensor on the bottom of the tank. To test the alarm unhook the harness connector and the alarm with stay on all the time. To make it go out make a jumper wire and push the ends into the harness plug completing the circuit. The alarm should then go out.

  2. #2willie592010-12-15 20:40

    Maybe low engine coolant level? On edit: LoL, John C pulled the trigger before I did.

  3. #3blooper2010-12-15 20:44

    Tks fellas, I'm going out to take a pic, see what you think...

  4. #4blooper2010-12-15 21:05

    Its the middle symbol....waiting for mod pic approval

  5. #5blooper2010-12-15 21:19

    http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/blooper636/?action=view&current=symbol.jpg

  6. #6blooper2010-12-15 21:21
  7. #7blooper2010-12-16 07:16

    middle symbol meaning? middle symbol, meaning?

  8. #8willie592010-12-16 08:32

    Low coolant level. That's my best guess.

  9. #9Tony2010-12-16 12:20

    John C. is 100% correct. It's your "low coolant" alarm. Fill the plastic reserve tank at the top of the radiator to just above the sensor and your light will go out. This was a very common question on the -3 and -5 series Komatsu excavators. Also, if your machine is a 1988 model, it's a Dash -3 series machine. Good luck with it. They were a great machine. Best, Tony

  10. #10blooper2010-12-16 19:32

    Awesome, thanks so much for the info. Been playing with the machine the last couple days, it works surprisingly well. Other than a minor exhaust leak and aux line leak, all seems well.

  11. #11jimrr2010-12-17 09:01

    Anti matter coupler is shifting to blue phasing!