Newbie here just joined, I have been in construction since age 12 primarily as an electrician but went to school to learn heavy equipment in '85. Down here in South Florida there isn't much going on in either field so I've decided to go in a new direction. Seems to me there will always be taxes, death, yard debris and trash. I've done some research on C&D recycling and have found that it's an industry that is steadily growing and has the promise of some real staying power. Good for Operators too because the industry can't do without wheel loaders, excavators and skid steers and as of yet they don't operate themselves. I would like to start a thread about the C&D industry, any thoughts, experiences, insight and input would be greatly appreciated. I strongly believe that information and knowledge is power, if you've got the power you can do just about anything. I am seriously considering starting my own C&D recycling operation. From what research I have already conducted a great many counties and municipalities are finding it more cost effective to "farm out" this kind of work to the private sector. This country is finally realizing we can't keep throwing everything into landfills and there are growing markets for recyclables. So, I hope there are others here who show some interest and together we can learn and share. Thanks...
Welcome to the Forums SeaMac! Good thread topic. C&D recycling has been an interest of mine since high school, where I designed a C&D recycling system for a class project that used a grinder and water to separate waste. (Not a working model, just paper plans and a narrative). Since I have been in the building industry my whole life, I saw a need to re-use the vast amounts of waste that was generated on the job site. BTW that was 20 years ago. The waste business is a good business to be in. I was a partner in a roll-off and front load company from 2007 to 2011 but sold it due to the economy and other obligations. As the construction industry gets better, I plan on re-entering that industry again. From what I have studied about C&D recycling is to be profitable the tip fees have to be above $70-80 per ton in your market area to even consider it. This is mixed C&D recycling that involves finger screens, picking stations and a fair amount of labor. The physical plant investment and labor burden are substantial to run this type of facility. Here are a couple of good videos that explain the process - http://www.youtube.com/user/erinrecycling?feature=results_main Now source separated or single line waste recycling is a different story. Stumps, brush and yard waste is one area that shows promise even with low landfill tip rates. This material is easily source separated, processed and there are markets established for the end product. Asphalt shingles are another item that is easily source separated at the job site, especially re-roofing. The asphalt content in the shingles makes it a viable commodity as feedstock to asphalt plants. Concrete is another resource as well that is recycled in many areas. For example, within a 2 mile radius of my shop, there is an asphalt plant that recycles shingles and a green waste site that takes every type of clean, non-treated wood to be ground into boiler fuel. The regional landfill is 15 miles away and the gate rate is $27 per ton, in county. We do not have any concrete recycling plants due to the abundance of limestone quarries in the area. Raw material is currently much cheaper than you could crush concrete and re-sell it. The asphalt plant I mentioned above actually uses "recycled" materials in a sense. They also operate a rock crushing operation on the same site that feeds the asphalt plant and sells rock as well. This crushing plant gets their stock from the overburden from the adjacent limestone quarry. The quarry mines limestone for high grade powdered lime and they have to remove a substantial amount of lime rock that doesn't meet their spec's however is does meet DOT specs. The quarry's rigid trucks bring the overburden out of the pit and to this facilities crusher for a certain amount per ton. It's a win/win for both parties. Recycled brick can be very lucrative if you have good clean antique brick. People will pay big $$ for an antique look. However the brick has to be expensive due to the amount of manual labor required to reclaim them. Metal, ferrous and non-ferrous, is already an established business. I also see opportunity in card board and paper recycling. Carpet and carpet padding is another resource that is emerging. Good topic and I am anticipating more responses from members with more knowledge of the subject.
Thanks for the reply CM1995, all good info too. I'm not quite up on the C&D vernacular yet but the gist I get from "tip" is the charge per ton to enter a transfer station. In these parts, Broward, Palm Beach, Martin and Saint Lucie Counties the going rate for yard waste (they call it veg) is $16 per ton, the C&D $29.75 per ton and this what the private contractor makes for processing, in an average 3 year contract you're looking an 2.7 million in gross revenue. This being South Florida you can only imagine the yard waste on a daily basis and it's year round at that. There is a brand new state of the art biomass cogen power plant near Gainesville that a lot of the feedstock heads to. I know the emerging market for recycling drywall is taking off fast and furious as well, trouble is in Florida there's too much chinese drywall and no one will touch the stuff from here. I have access to capital if I can demonstrate a reasonable ROI and make the payback less than a lifetime. Seems there are an awful lot of horizontal grinders 'round here chewing up clean wood for mulch and landfill cover. My interest in the industry is two fold, recycling and having the processing equipment ie: wheel loaders, excavators and grinders in the event of natural disaster. We do get at least one decent storm a year that shakes up the flora enough to create havoc. So far no hurricanes since 2005 but FEMA is always looking for contractors to clean up the mess made by one and they pay very, very well and on time too.
Replying to CM1995 in further depth. The burden of physical plant in most cases has already been paid by the county or municipality and they generally maintain their own equipment. As for the manual labor concern, I believe I have a novel approach to that as well.....prisoners! Not what you're thinking either. The Florida Deparment of Corrections has in place work release programs for "short timers" if you're near the end of your incarceration and have behaved well while serving your time you become entrusted to work farms. The only costs associated are the Corrections Officers themselves, my research indicated for every twelve prisoners you will pay for two Officers. I look at it as win win, the prisoners learn a trade albeit an unskilled one but they will be able to find work if they actually learn something other than crime. The State gets extra revenue for the Officers and I get free labor. I figure if some of the prisoners do well and create zero problems you learn 'em on the machines which again lowers my overhead. If all goes as planned I only need employ key personnel. I have made inquiries with Flagler Equipment the local VolvoCE dealer and they seem willing to engage in conversation regarding leases on equipment. With some of the Volvo Care plans my service and maintenance costs are included in the lease so I won't need a mechanic either. (sorry guys, no offense) I'm doing my best to research this subject matter thoroughly before I sit down with investors and am trying to think outside the box if you will to minimize as much overhead as possible.
Here are some resources for you assistance.............................. http://www.waste-management-world.com/index.html?cmpid=EnlWMW_WeeklyJune82012 http://www.ncdwc.ie/html/documents/FAS_CIFHandbookonConstructionandDemolitionWasteManagement.pdf
Hi Stock, Thank you so much for this information, I have been searching for more resouces of information. I just recently joined the website cdrecycler.com and the information presented there has been pretty vague. Again, I really appreciate you providing these links, a cursory review leads me to believe there's a wealth of information contained within. Thanks again, Sean
C'mon people, there's got to be more of you here with information and experience in this industry. I'm waiting to hear from you!
I work for a rubbish site as manager and operator. Im looking at putting in a grinder to grind our wood waste and maybe a firewood processor. We have started taking grass and leaves and wood chips from tree companies. THey come to my farm for composting. Brick like mentioned above brings a good profit. I had 2 small cimineie come in a dump truck about 5 yards total. I dumped them in the area we put block and concrete. I chipped them on my breaks and after work. I got 1.50 to 2.50 per brick. One thing that got me into composting was I found the towns illegal leaf and gras dump. I cleaned it up on volunteering my time and equipment taking the rotted materials home for the gardens.
That's fantastic, It's always better to be part of the solution than part of the problem. Since virtually everything in some way or another is recyclable these days we need to be doing more. I too need a grinder and the research I have conducted to date leads me to believe that a horizontal grinder is the way to go. They're much safer, productive and fuel efficient. I know that a few of the manufacturers make equipment to die and bag mulch. I applaud you for your environmentally sound efforts. Thanks for sharing...