Don't know if anyone can help, I have a Cat 340D C9 engine which I want to use on a Cat D9R dozer so want to know if it's possible and if it is then what do I have to remove and change on the engine ~Thread title has been edited to reflect the correct machine being discussed, as clarified several posts below.~
So, you want to replace an 18 liter engine with a 9 liter engine?
The C9 engine power is much lower than the 3408 engine power. The C9 is installed on the D6R - D6T bulldozers. Even if you can install the C9 in the D9R, it can and will be able to move itself, but it is unlikely to do so under load. There are Flash files for the C9 that increase power, but this will still not be enough.
I'm not sure and have only run one D9R, but it seems it had a 3408 HEUI. Aside from size I would think communication between engine and machine would be a near insurmountable challenge.
For communication wouldn't it be workable to change the ECM or reprogram it to suit the D9R operations
How would you propose replacing an ECM designed to control an 8 cylinder engine with one designed to control a 6-cylinder engine.? Reprogramming engine ECMs is not a simple operation. There are all sorts of roadblocks in the path of anyone trying it. Believe me, I've been there. Also the C9 uses a completely different style of ECM to the ADEM-II unit used on the 3408E engine in the D9R. You are proposing replacing an engine that develops 405 BHP with one that only develops 295 BHP, let alone the difference in torque which is what a dozer requires. The machine will hardly have enough power to move itself around, let alone push a blade full of dirt..... I'm usually up for a challenge but what you have in mind is wrong on many levels.
Sorry typo error, meant to write D6R not D9R, my typo mistake
I would like to put a Cat 340D C9 engine on a Cat D6R dozer not D9R, sorry good people, so want to know if its feasible
If it's possible then what do I need to attend to
That might be slighlty more feasible.... As a starting point it would require the Serial Number of the D6R tractor and the Serial Number of the C9 engine you would like to install.
So can I use C9 engine from a cat 340D excavator on a D6R dozer and what needs to be attended to make it work on the dozer
Answer my questions in Post #10 above and we'll see.............
So can I use C9 engine from a cat 340D excavator on a D6R dozer and what needs to be attended to make it work on the do Do the serial numbers have to be of the same period
Will check the serial numbers then come back to you
They have to be the ACTUAL Serial numbers from both the tractor in which you want to install the engine, and of the engine from the 340D that you want to install into it. At this point I am not saying whether it is potentially feasible or not, but I will look into it.
Ha, well that certainly makes a difference! Nige will take care of you on that.
Thank you so much will come back with the serial numbers