I mentioned this AW grader a few months back in another thread. I finally had a chance to take a couple of pictures as I was driving by.
That sure looks like an old rig! Do you have any pics of the grader in your avatar?
I think the Grader in his avatar is from the Snapper family. I used to have one with a rake mounted where the mower deck was when new. It worked great for windrowing leaves & small branches. Of coarse his has tandem axles mine didn't.
Running mower is a tough job for one you get one h*ll of a kink in your neck I never did get into running mower the ones the highways dept had at that time were old farm tractor style tractor enclosed cab used to be old Fords. Now the newer mower is mounted on a IT Cat from the guys I know that work for the contractor they like the mower on the Cat you don't have to twist your head so much. Grader4me your lucky the gov't still operates the highway dept back east its a good job to have. If it goes to private contractor bidding on contracts have the same mess we have here. The contractor that has the contract here is looking for employees ya good luck they start you out at 14-15 dollars per hour. Top wage is something like 21 dollars when I worked for the previous contractor starting wage was 21 dollars per hour. The good days are gone when people used to call it the dept of hollidays
Here is the link where I picked up my avatar. Cute little fella isn't it? Hit the nail right on the head wrenchbender!
Sorry to take it off topic, that little Snapper is a neat little replica! I've never seen a mower on a grader before, they use tractors here and the occasional wheel loader.
Looking at the second picture you notice on the left side of the road it is cut back really good. This was done by an excavator with a brush mulching attachment. Did that ever do a great job. The stand of bushes that you still see was left as there is a waterway in the middle, and the machine could only go so close. These stands will be cut with thinning saws/chainsaws. This road is very dangerous due to moose and deer. There has been many fatalities due to collisions with moose over the years. As a matter of fact my next door neighbour is still in the hospital after a collision with a moose on this highway. At least now with the sides cleared back there will be more of a chance to see them.
Talking with a Gradall operator the other day he said the brushing attachement he has for the machine he runs takes a 4 meter swathe (12 feet). Thats pretty good the other Gradall company had a machine that was half that size but then again the machine was a G660. The new contractor runs a XL5100.