Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting 4700 to hydrovac truck

Erock14 ยท 2025-05-20 08:19

Hey all, Looking for some suggestions from people who own international 4700 dump trucks and flat beds. I am looking into buying a late 90s/ early 2000s dump truck to convert it to a hydrovac truck for digging near utilities. I am going to buy a 1000cfm blower pump for the vacuum portion of the truck. It takes about 45 to 60 hp around 2800rpm depending on the blower I purchase. I am wondering if the pto on the truck could have enough power for the blower. I would have to buy a seperate hydraulic motor to attach onto the shaft of the blower if it could not attach directly to the PTO

Replies3
  1. #1terex herder2025-05-22 21:20

    I think the ones I've seen use a separate motor to power both the blower and the high pressure water pump.

  2. #2skyking12025-05-22 21:26

    ^ this. I have not seen anything that stout powered off a PTO. They take a ton of power to run.

  3. #392U 34062025-05-22 23:36

    Any hydrovac I've ever worked on or operated had a drop box between the transmission and front drive axle and that was used to power the blower. Usually 7th over and 1800 RPM if my memory is correct. Bottom mounted PTO drove the hydraulic pumps to power the pressure washer pump as well as the boom, hoist and rear door hydraulics. Have seen a few careless operators blow clutches by not venting the tank prior to starting/stopping the blower.