Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting a Backhoe bucket?

Seananamous ยท 2018-05-17 16:05

I'm looking for backhoe buckets that will fit mine, the issue is a lot of the buckets have tapered ears. The front set of ears normally are fine - 8-10" from ear to ear, but the back ones seem to be normally 5-1/2" apart. Is there any way I could make it fit on mine? First image: my NH Lb75.b tractor with a 30" bucket, Second image: 10" bucket with back set of ears spaced at 5-1/2"

Replies11
  1. #1mitch5042018-05-17 16:25

    If you got the bucket cheap enough, you could make a link to fit it.

  2. #2Seananamous2018-05-17 17:13

    How would that work? do you have an example?

  3. #3mitch5042018-05-17 17:43

    The link is that brown bar in the first pic that goes from the cylinder to the back of the bucket. Make one that will hook to your cylinder and the other end is narrow enough for the bucket you want to use. It needs to be heavy enough to not collapse when the cylinder pushes on it.

  4. #4Theweldor2018-05-17 18:12

    You need to get a better picture of the second bucket. The supports look as though they are wide enough. Must have some bosses weld inside to narrow it up?

  5. #5NH575E2018-05-18 11:15

    You can make anything fit with some creative design and welding. The upper ears do not have enough bushing surface for your hoe. If they have the correct inside spread you would need to weld on a thicker bushing and gusset it. What is the outside spread on the bottom ears? You could probably weld onto those and extend a new set of ears out with the correct inside width. The bucket on my 575E has an inside spread of about 8" on both ears.

  6. #6Seananamous2018-05-20 11:18

    Thanks for all the suggestions. Just bought that bucket for $75 which I think is a steal. The spread of the bottom set of ears are 5.5" so I'll have a guy weld a spacer and extend it with a 3/4" thick piece of steel with a 1-3/4" hole through it. Any other suggestions before I move forward with this? This seems like the easiest and most cost effective solution.

  7. #7mitch5042018-05-20 11:53

    You know changing the distance between the two pin holes in the bucket changes the leverage, and thus the power and arc available at bucket curl.

  8. #8NH575E2018-05-20 13:33

    In that case I don't think it will ever work. I'll give you a 100 bucks for it to bail you out. As mitch 504 said you want to stick with about the same pin hole distance as is on your original. Attaching the bucket with the holes that are close together will give more range of motion with less force. The holes that are furthermost apart will limit the range of motion and provide the most force.

  9. #9Seananamous2018-05-20 18:54

    You're both right, although what I will do is make the distance the same as my old bucket. I also have to create enough space between the rear ears for the arm of my backhoe to fit. I'll keep yall updated with photos.

  10. #10NH575E2018-05-21 17:04

    Looks like welding a new mount plate to the outside might come real close to providing the right inside spacing.

  11. #11Seananamous2018-05-21 18:46

    Exactly what I was planning on doing. Just have to figure out the right angle where to mount the new ears so I can pivot the bucket right.