Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting caterpillar D2 to electric

MrS ยท 2023-06-02 19:35

Hi there, I have a 1940's D2 that puts out about 40hp. Looking to replace it with an electric motor and Li-ion batteries. On a bit of a shoestring budget at the moment so may have to do something to get it running and then look at the battery power later on (start small as batteries are expensive as hell, not to mention the motor(s) etc. Anyone have any suggestions where to start? I'm thinking one motor that will go right into the transmission and drive it that way (dry clutch) vs putting two motors in the axel and driving it that way even though that is likely much more efficient. TractorData.com has specs and 3 historical comprehensive performance tests on the machine if anyone is interested in seeing the power I'm looking to replace. Currently there are two hydraulic pistons driving the blade and want to replace that pump that runs off of the pto with either an electric hydraulic pump or electroic actuators vs. pistons. I would really appreciate insight into motors, suppliers, and reasoning along with battery thoughts, suppliers or ideas on how to obtain, and reasoning. I'm in Ontario, Canada. While LiFePO4 looks like the current selection, I see many more tech's coming down the pipe for greater kw/h per kg along with charging time reduction along with cost reduction. I can't spend 10,000 on batteries for now, but want to have the right motor and maybe enough battery life to power it for an hour or 30 mins for now just as a test. More batteries can come later. Also looking for thoughts on motor controller and various things I'll need to identify amount of power left, rpm/tach, amp, blah blah along with charger thoughts. Not looking to re-invent the wheel so thought I would see if there are any experts out there looking to give me their thoughts over a cup of coffee so I'm not spending weeks doing research. Also, any thoughts on who to approach as sponsors or how to raise some funds for parts? S

Replies8
  1. #1Tyler d4c2023-06-02 20:41

    I saw d2 and the word electric and I was ready to tell you the hole saw size and where to find a starting motor for it. This will be a interesting one.

  2. #2crane operator2023-06-02 20:49

    Work for your money? That's what I do.

  3. #3Acoals2023-06-02 21:11

    What is the purpose here? looks almost like we are trying to generate content for a YouTube channel . . .

  4. #4Tyler d4c2023-06-02 21:35

    I do the bit always seems to spend faster then I receive

  5. #5j-k2023-06-02 21:43

    Electric HG68

  6. #6Camshawn2023-06-02 22:03

    If you are going to do this, look for a couple of wrecked Teslas. Edison Motors ( on the web and u tube) did some of there prototyping for a semi using Tesla parts. Cam

  7. #7obsolete2023-06-02 22:38

    The D2 tractor is a very well built, economical to run and one of the best small tractors ever built, that being said, it is a poor candidate for conversion to electric. The two main reasons are it is a heavy tractor and the design is such that it would not be easy to convert. You want to find a lighter tractor such as the Oliver shown in the video posted by jsk, or something like a Farmall Cub, save your weight for batteries, as any weight saved is that much further the machine can go on a charge, and the smaller the motors need to be, etc. Do your research on tractor electric conversions, there are some limitations, but people have been doing it successfully for some time.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2023-06-02 22:55

    Well it should work scoops been battery powered for years.