Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting from hammer to thumb

Cabo ยท 2014-04-04 10:49

Hello to all, I just came across this forum and am needing some help. I have a FX-220 Fiat-Hitachi that has a hammer valve installed between the main pump and the valve block. I need to find a source for a valve to allow me to use a thumb. The hammer valve is a HPS E2797A Assy# D7868A. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1freedom digger2014-04-05 07:25

    Cabo, I'm not sure about your machine but on a cat the same factory valve will do both functions there is a quarter turn flow valve the changes it into a two way valve by stopping the return flow from going directly back to the tank.

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-04-06 01:43

    We had the same machine with a hoepack on it. There wasn't a spare section in the main hyd valve so the 1way aux valve was installed. I'm not familiar with the valve you have but I doubt it's capable of 2way flow so it will need to be replaced. Also, currently you have 1 pressure line and 1 return line out to the hammer. The return will have to be piped back to the 2way valve instead of the tank. You probably only have 1 switch wired in the cab to control the hammer, that will need to be changed to a two button switch and wired accordingly. You don't see to many of those FX220's around. Does it have custom pinstripes on the track frame and upside down boom cylinders perchance?

  3. #3Cabo2014-04-06 10:42

    Thanks Deeretracks, yes it is the same machine, I bought it in Seattle.

  4. #4Deeretracks2014-04-06 15:54

    Nice, we bought it used. I know the AUX kit was installed by Highline Portafab in Snohomish, Wa. if you have any questions about converting it over give them a call. The handle I installed will work for a thumb you just need to do the plumbing and hook up the extra wires.

  5. #5Cabo2014-04-06 16:10

    Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow.