Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting over 3 point implements to run off a skid steer??

Randy88 · 2011-02-10 05:40

I have several 3 points implements I'd like to run off my skid steer if possible, two are snow blowers and several brush cutters, a wire winder and some others as well. I know its not ideal but many times I have a skid steer handy and would just like to hook up the unit to them instead of using a tractor. Has anyone done it before and if so how effective are they? I'd really like to run one of my snow blowers first off, I don't do much commercial use so I could never justify the cost of a dedicated skid steer mounted blower. I've talked to several hydraulic experts and they have recommended several different ways to go, either a hydraulic motor with a spined 540 shaft out of it or else a gear driven 540 shaft and use chains and sprockets to drive it so we had the option of different gearing, either way just make an adapter plate that hooked up to the skid steer and then to a 3 point hitch and have the motor mounted in it and use it that way. They both told me it would be no problem to use a diverter vavle to operate another cylinder to run the snowblower chute and just wire it into the cab and run it electically. I would use my larger skid steer which is a new holland ls190 with high flow for the applicaitons, but I've also heard that new hollands high flow isn't very good either so I don't know if its worth it or not, the ones that told me that said it heats the oil too much and causes problems due to lack of cooling?? Any thoughts or idea would be appreciated

Replies29
  1. #1Asphalt/Dirtman2011-02-10 07:55

    found this a month ago, expensive, but the best pre made unit i have found on the internet in my late night searches. http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/EZ_3_POINT_PTO_LTD_p/ez-3pt-ltd.htm Everybody seams to differ on the pto power you get in the end. My conclusion

  2. #2maxamillion672011-02-14 23:29

    I looked at doing the same thing and was told by a guy at hydraulic shop that I would need at least 27 GPM. My machine only has 16 GPM, your machine with the high flow should work. I am thinking of buying one of these motors, and doing some experimenting with different three point attachments. http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/PTO_Drive_Motor_p/part-pto-motor.htm I

  3. #3jrtraderny2011-02-15 09:03

    https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7368-125&catname= Try these guys, they have different ones. Less money too. jr

  4. #4Lil' Puss2011-02-15 13:37

    I use one of these adapters and use all of my category 1 attachments, plus a backhoe: http://www.landpride.com/products/prod_qh/prod_sh35.html

  5. #5CRAFT2011-02-16 01:37

    I HAVE Been there done that !! ... and I think you are correct about what you heard of the NH machines ... when I started out with my converted 3pt snowblower i had the hybrid NH/JD skid-steer commonly called the JD 8875 .... WHAT A POS ! .... everytime I tried to run the hy-flow it cooked the oil then taking out the hy-flow pump (3 times) .... long story short ...I traded it off on the A-300 BC w/hy-flow no changes to the blower and put a couple hundred hrs without a problem ...... If you have confidence in your NH ... then its a piece of cake to adapt it to make it work, including the Q/A plate adapter .... I also adapted a hyd post pounder from a tractor to the skid and it too was easy .....from SSSoultions they have a low-cost adaptor plate that would work awesome..... cheers

  6. #6wuntunearlybko2011-02-21 08:05

    not trying to hijack but stumbled across this thread and am looking to do the same with my 3 pt attachments. i am pretty green behind the ears when it comes to these machines... how do i know if i have hy-flow or not? it's a NH LS170 -cutts-

  7. #7CRAFT2011-02-22 00:16

    On the JD8875 there was a toggle switch on the right side of the seat base ... it had a red protective flip cover so that you couldn't accidentally switch it on ???? you may have it there, that might be a clue .... When you lift the seat up and latch'd in the up position you would be staring at the valve bankclosest to you and looking at the back side of the engine further to the rear of the machine ..... attached to the back of the engine is what appears to be the bell housing, it has attached to it the 2 pumps (left & right) for your drive motors ... in the top-center of these is either a ported cover plate (2-bolt flange style) or an extra pump ... that would be where the hi-flow pump is mounted extra(it's an add on option not nessesarily from the factory installed) if that pump is there then you can trace diff big #16 hyd lines where you'll see an aluminum hyd block (manifold) it also has a big solenoid which is for diverting the extra flow of oil from that pump to the valve bank in front, that is where the wire from the toggle swicth goes to..... their idea was stacking the 2 pumps together to double the gpm flow ... that pump is constantly driven off of the fly wheel and when the hi-flow switch isn't engaged the oil is diverted back to the hyd tank which you'll see as well on the left looking back Another clue would be a case drain line hanging kinda loose on the right side of the boom (which it always looked like an after thought of JD, being on the oposite side of the hyd couplers) that line is fed back to the hyd tank and is tapped high up into the plastic hyd tank. Because I had so much trouble with that hybrid JD powered New Holland chassis I had to go to NH to get proper schematic drawings for routing and plumbing cause the JD dealers were plainly stupid ... at that time when those machines were sold new they sold them at the ag dealers (green paint stuff) and the yellow paint guy's wanted nothing to do with the skids ..... thank goodness they got all that crap sorted out when they started to build their own machines. Hope this may help you out to ID what you've got there .... Good-Luck

  8. #8AHoyThere2011-12-07 20:15

    If I understand what you are describing, I think that I'm nearing the completion of a similar project. I just got everything hooked up the other day. First I built a quick attach 3pt hitch for the skid loader. Then I bought a hydraulic motor that matched the psi and gpm of the skid loader. I also had to buy a coupler to attach the 1" round motor shaft to the 1.5" snowblower gear box drive shaft. Then I built the mount to attach the new hydraulic motor to the snow blower. Everything turns while sitting in the work shop. But we haven't had any snow yet so no real test yet. I hope it works. Pictures are located in this google photo album... https://picasaweb.google.com/michael.hoy/SnowBlower?authuser=0&feat=directlink

  9. #9Randy882011-12-08 06:23

    By the pictures your not using high flow and let us know how it works for you this winter blowing snow, if your satisified with how it performs. Thanks for the pictures and sharing them with us.

  10. #10AHoyThere2011-12-08 10:05

    I don't know if it is high flow or not. I figured I could just rig the snow blower similar to the auger that we use to drill holes. All I did was shop for a hydraulic motor that would work within the hydraulic spec of this skid. 3,000 psi @ 20 gpm and turn at close to 540 rpm. I see you're located in Iowa too. Where at?

  11. #11Randy882011-12-09 05:48

    Northeast Iowa how about you

  12. #12AHoyThere2011-12-09 12:13

    Same. NW of Cedar Falls a bit. If the pics didn't do it for you, feel free to come take a look. I can't seem to find any PM feature in this system.

  13. #13Skid Steer Rob2011-12-21 23:49

    Three Point Adaptors I am the designer of the SSS 3 Point PTO Attachment. It is nice to see others trying this. If you are looking to just convert 1 implement, then by all means just get a motor and the cheapest 3 point plate you can find to connect it to your machine. I was in that position when I bought my first skid steer. Soon after I converted the first attachment, I realized there were many other applications I wanted to change over. That is when it became expensive. I then went for an implement that could be used over and over. I hired an engineer to put my thoughts onto a design and we went to work. The next issue was the motors. This is important guys. Every dealer that ever looked at our implement stated that they never saw a skid steer with enough hydraulic horsepower to be able to run a tractor implement effectively. Again I hired a hydraulic engineer to use a stock design but change the gearing so I could get the maximum HP possible over the full range of flow and pressures exerted from skid steer loaders as high as 40 GPM @ 3500 PSI. This is the key. I bought many motors when I was trying to get this thing to work and they were all just OK. So just be aware that it is not as simple as buying some motor with a PTO shaft installed off the internet. We have tried to do this as cost effectively as possible and have sold over 2000 of these in the 10 years they have been manufactured. We would love to help you with your solutions so let us know if we can help you. Mention this blog and I will give you 10% off the 3 Point PTO up until Feb 1, 2012. Robert Leib Skid Steer Solutions

  14. #14otisd852012-01-15 14:36

    do you need high flow to run the SSS 3 Point PTO Attachment? what kind of pto hp numbers is it making?

  15. #15Skid Steer Rob2012-01-15 15:23

    3 Point No you do not need high flow. We have models for machines from 10 - 40 GPM.

  16. #16Skid_der2015-11-14 14:43

    Has anyone have success in converting a PTO snowblower to hydraulic?

  17. #17garry w2016-01-07 22:39

    done it on three machines B C 773 and Case 1845 and N H L225 with different blowers 66 to 72 inches wide ALL worked ok

  18. #18CRAFT2016-01-08 07:06

    Here is the one I did a few years ago ….. an Allied 3pt 60" widened out to 74" with the wings ….. originally it was geared up with a chain drive, but when it got installed on this 1840 we changed it to direct drive with a luv-joy coupler ….

  19. #19Georgia Iron2016-01-25 12:56

    That looks cool. Nice job. Is that all home made or ? How well would you say it works and how deep can the snow be for it to work. What are the limits on that. We don't have any snow where I am so I am not fimilar with snow blowers.

  20. #20CRAFT2016-01-26 13:01

    Hmmm ??? …. Not sure which part you are asking about ??? ….. The main Blower is a Factory Allied Buhler 60" 3pt hitch Tractor Snow Blower …… The 3pt hitch mount was cut off, the PTO drive shaft c/w coupler removed from the Gear Box ….. A Skid-Steer Quik-Attach mounting Plate was fabricated c/w a mounting platform for the Hydraulic Motor …. and Wings were added to the Factory Blower housing to widen this unit out …… Hope this helps …. cheers

  21. #21204saskman2017-11-11 09:04

    Hey just wondering what size of hydrauic motor you used for your blower. I know this is an old thread but I'm building one here for my 72 inch blower and I've been looking around on what size of motor to use. Thanks

  22. #22xgiovannix122017-11-11 09:42

    looking to do the same sometime let me know what you use

  23. #23DIYDAVE2017-11-11 11:12

    First you have to know what the flow (GPM) and pressure (PSI) Your SL operates at. once you know this, you can choose a hyd motor, from any of several sources that sell hyd motors. I have made 2 attachments, in my inventing career. 1 was a bush hog/brush cutter, that I fabbed from the parts of an old 4' howse rotary bush hog. The other was an old ford snowblower that I modified to fit the same ASV RC-30. I got both hyd motors, from http://www.surpluscenter.com/ they have a helpful hydraulic formula page, and excellent tech support. Both motors cost about $500, IIRR. there are other suppliers out there, I just stuck with the one that worked for me the first time...

  24. #24ferrret32382017-11-16 22:04

    I built my own snowblower for my old gehl 2500 with 7 gpm. It didn't work very well cause the gpm was too low for the thrower. I hooked the lines from the loader in series through the hydraulic motors, one that drives the 5 ft collector and then through the thrower. I sized the motors 3 to 1 on the flow rates so the thrower turned 3 times as fast as the collector. I used it for a while but it loaded up very easily and would then only throw a few feet. Since then I traded off the two gehls I had for a 99 john deere 250 with 17 gpm. The more gpm will hopefully make the difference with bogging down and not throwing too far. I'm in NE Iowa too.

  25. #25William Schuda2023-09-26 15:23

    What is the HP out put of the PTO?

  26. #26William Schuda2023-09-26 15:30

    I have a skid steer to 3pt with a pto. What is the HP out put of the PTO?

  27. #27Lil' Puss2023-09-26 15:45

    I just got this Eterra model. Going to use it with a brush cutter. Motorized Skid Steer 3-Point Adapter | Eterra Are you trying to attach 3-Point attachments to your Skid Steer Loader? The Eterra 3-Point adapter is the answer, learn more at Skid Steer Solutions. www.skidsteersolutions.com

  28. #28Lil' Puss2023-09-26 15:52

    That depends on the HP and flow of your skid steer.

  29. #29Lil' Puss2023-09-27 14:06

    Did you get it second hand? There are three models that are matched to your skid steer's system flow rate, plus a hi-flow model. If you get the wrong one you'll either get poor performance or toast the hydraulic motor. What do you have?