Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting triple axle gooseneck to tandem duals?

Rustedcutlery ยท 2015-11-05 23:20

Iv got a 34' pj gooseneck with triple single tires, and rather taking a bath trying to sell it and buy a tandem dual trailer, I figure why not convert it. I figure get 2 12k or 15k axles, rip off the old suspension and start from scratch. Or am I opening up a can of worms here?

Replies8
  1. #1lantraxco2015-11-06 04:32

    I loved my triple axle Eager Beaver, but then I tried to avoid sharp backing turns, which is the only place they're an issue as far as I could see. If your frame rails are narrow enough to the outside, you could put tandem duals under your trailer, only take a few hours with a torch, grinder, and welder.

  2. #2Wytruckwrench2015-11-06 09:12

    First thing to check is frame rail width. The triple axle single tire trailers, normally have a wider frame and the dual axles need a narrrower frame. Here in the mountains most guys like the single tire, as it's more stable. I would say check the frame, buy the axles and go after it.

  3. #3Andrew_D2015-11-06 15:21

    Yup, frame width would be the first thing to check. Wytruckwrench: Why do you say that single tires are more stable? I'm looking at trading my tandem single for a tandem dual to get more stability. With pallets 2-wide on a 8'6" wide trailer, and the wheels tucked in well under the edge, I think that a duallie would be more stable......wouldn't it? Andrew

  4. #4old-iron-habit2015-11-06 22:17

    I was going to convert a 3 axle last spring. It was only an 8' wide but I still could not find a dually axle that would fit. The inside tires/brake plate would hit on every one. Custom axles were availaible but for near the cost of a new tandem trailer.

  5. #5twr2015-11-07 14:39

    You can get a 12k axle and run 17.5 rubber,they carry a good amount of weight in single.

  6. #6DDoug2015-11-07 21:00

    Could you simply-er convert either end axle to a tag, when not at gross load, it's up ?

  7. #7Wytruckwrench2015-11-07 21:59

    The three axle configuration in the trailers that I have pulled, have a wider frame and that seems to make them more stable. I have a couple of customers that have replaced tandem duals, with triple single. They pull them a lot of miles, so I figure there must be something to it.

  8. #8Wytruckwrench2015-11-07 22:01

    The three axle configuration in the trailers that I have pulled, have a wider frame and that seems to make them more stable. I have a couple of customers that have replaced tandem duals, with triple single. They pull them a lot of miles, so I figure there must be something to it.