Obviously with older Equipment it can be a challenge to looks at the older fluid requirement and translate them into what is available or best for today - at a reasonable cost also. My research shows that my backhoe (555D) wants a coolant with the MAT 3724 specification - this looks to be an OAT (organic additive\acid technology) When looking for an ELC OAT type coolant - then the question comes up - with Nitrates or not?? And the two options have many of the same "standards" on the back of each jug. I have read that nitrates offer increase protection for wet sleave Deisel engines against pitting\corrosion But, I have also read that Nitrates are not good for softer metals - specifically aluminum. I don't think the ford 555D has any aluminum exposed in the cooling system. So anyway, I thought I would reach out to this forum for some thoughts. Appreciate the input. Thanks.
I went round and round with this decision when I did mine. I finally settled on PEAK Fleet Charge SCA Precharged Concentrate Antifreeze and Coolant for All Heavy Duty Engine Cooling Systems, 1 Gal. mixed 50/50 with distilled water.
Thanks for the reply. I did see this exact one. but noticed that it is not an OAT - not sure how much that matters.
for more information.. I was looking at either Shell Rotella 1 gal. Rotella Extended Life Nitrate Free or Shell 1 gal. Rotella ELC Antifreeze/Coolant - with Nitrate As both of these are on sale at my local TSC -
There are some that know a bunch more about coolant mixing than i, on this forum. This is what comes to mind. When that machine was made the OAT coolants were not really that used in the industrial machines, except CAT, if I remember correctly. Some on here say that if the machine was not made for OAT, the gaskets will break down with it. The old fashion fleet charge with SCA will defiantly protect the engine. The above stated, I put Rotella ELC in all of my NH machines, and have never had any problems. Not sure why coolant has to be soooo hard...LOL
This is what I used, and it came from tractor supply. I see the bottles are marked differently now. Shell Rotella® Extended Life Heavy Duty Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrate 1-Gallon MPN #: 9404106021 I checked the part number. This is the same part number as what I put in.