I have an old ford 4500 3 cyl diesel backhoe and replacing the radiator water pump etc, is there a procedure for bleeding out the air once everything is full and also the thermostat goes in "spring side" in towards the block, and the other side towrds the radiator right? Took the old one out and now Im second guessing which way the new one goes back in. Thanks in advance for any help
Spring side down. Fill with coolant and run with cap off and keep adding while engine is warming up until all air has burped out and hot coolant is circulating past the rad spout. Test temperature with finger in spout and/or temp gauge if machine has one.
Welcome to HEF snoman1. :drinkup And if you can, block the radiator with a piece of cardboard, helps it warm up quicker and open the thermostat to purge the air. And don't fill the radiator fully initially, the cold coolant will expand as it warms up and when an air bubble passes through the thermostat it will puke coolant. Keep it below the filler neck until it gets warmed up and circulating like Deon stated.
Follow up....also having trouble finding a lower radiator hose like the one on my 4500, mine has an outlet halfway in the hose which connects to the block? All the ones I'm seeing are just a solid hose from the radiator to the pump, I'm guessing this is some kind of kit? Anyone have any info on where I can get this ? Thanks
Not a kit, it's a factory only hose that costs 10 times a hose without the outlet. The ahole OEM's have been pulling this stunt for decades. Stuff like a heater hose with a 5/8" end and the other is 3/4", only there to force you to buy the factory part instead of an aftermarket one. After everything is said and done, the profit from the parts sales determines the profit for the year.
Back when I did much engine work I used to drill an 1/8" hole in the flat metal of every thermostat I installed, auto bleed for the air bubble.