Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Coolant temp sensor D358

Sberry · 2025-03-12 11:08

Let me get a picture in a minute. Looked to see why a light was on the dash and chances are its this. Seems this is about from Chevy or Ford truck of the 70s? My tech isnt here, was thinking if there was a farmer fix even? 1/2 npt, pretty sure its on the shelf at a parts store.

Replies8
  1. #1Sberry2025-03-12 11:11

    There.

  2. #2Simon C2025-03-12 18:27

    Is that thing NPT or something else. Is it 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch ? Is it 12 volt or 24 volt. List your machine Make, Model, and Serial number and maybe someone has seen or worked on. What temperature is the gauge minimum to maximum? Looks like it use to have a male spade sticking out. Post a picture close up of gauge. Simon C

  3. #3Simon C2025-03-12 18:29

    See I missed your 1/2 inch NPT. Voltage is next.

  4. #4Sberry2025-03-12 19:53

    The starting on this gem is 24 but I simply figured that was 12, I can look. Yes, the spade broke.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-03-13 08:13

    Only problem is when you go to the majority of the auto parts stores, their first question is the killer. Whats it for? Nothing, that you’d know anything about. Lol

  6. #6Sberry2025-03-13 09:01

    I figured I would have one in the junk drawer. So far no go and no longer have a pile of old engines in the junkyard. We removed some when we install mechanicals.

  7. #7Sberry2025-03-13 09:07

    I had planned on taking radiator out for cleaning and did a bunch yesterday without making a huge mess. The obsessive part of me says go back with some degreaser and work on it a it again. Still have a bit of grease. Most of it is clear, I was trying not to super blast water thru everything. I really want to put couple new belts but want to clean first. I sposed no good way around it, had visions of getting it out of shop and back to storage.

  8. #8Simon C2025-03-13 10:00

    Those temperature senders are all rated differently according to the matching gauge. Wrong resistance will equate to a wonky gauge. Go onto the Stewart Warner website and get a new gauge and the corresponding sending unit and you will have no more headaches. They have 12 volt gauges that come with voltage drop resistors to be able to run off of a 24 volt system. This is how I fixed the last one I did 1 year ago on a Komatsu D85 Dozer. Gauge worked perfectly when installed with appropriate sender. Make sure the sender is the match for the gauge. Simon C