Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cooling System – 2005 Case 1850K

John Strange · 2026-06-27 20:20

Bought Case 1850k been running find but today was 95F and it started to get a little warm. It looks like the radiator has never been cleaned, so got it parked, dropped the front grill and went to cleaning.. ugh it was so dirty packed with dirt. Same with the intercoolers, so 2 hours later it's all clean. How often do you clean the cooling system, do you normally check it that often, just trying to get the schedule in my head so I know how often I'm going to need to do this.

Replies5
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-06-28 10:02

    All depends on how dry it is and how much dust is floating around. Might want to check your air filters also. When I’m running hard and it’s really dusty, I bring an extra outside air filters element. I have had good luck, spraying dry lube on the clean radiator and oil cooler, dirt doesn’t stick as easily.

  2. #2LCA0782026-06-28 10:03

    I think you're gonna get answers all over the map on this one because there are so many conditions that will determine a good answer. Like you, I start to watch temps closely this time of year as it's just the nature of the beast when operating equipment in central Texas. I just use my equipment for ranch work (brush clearing mainly) so it's not a lot of hours but I try to power wash the radiators/coolers at least once a year. It's just usually some dust and maybe some cedar leaves that come out but nothing too much. And I always do a thorough wash when I first get a piece of equipment just to start fresh.

  3. #3LCA0782026-06-28 10:05

    And to Harley's point in the opposite direction, if you have the any fuel or oil getting sprayed on your radiator, then expect a LOT more cleaning.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2026-06-28 10:34

    To add, every thing I buy that runs, used or new, gets washed and a few coats of spray wax. Makes cleaning after using, so much easier and believe it or not, they will look newer longer.

  5. #5John Strange2026-06-29 09:56

    actually didn't even think about that, in clay/sand here so will see if it helps any. It's a lot of washing on this thing, it's massive so we got it clleand up pretty good and can now watch for leaks/oil in the area. about 12 cans of gunk later lol..