Today I was at the local CAT shop. Spoke with one of the sales reps. We talked about a new Cat skid steer he had just sold. It is a CAT 299D2 XHP the cost with the sales tax it was right at $116,000.00 That is unbelievable for skid steer on tracks. What do you think of that.
It's cheap. 200 grand gets you one here. Hourly rate is about the same as you blokes get and fuel prices are double of what you pay.
You can buy a 259 or similar sized machine for half. And the rate is the same. What do you think of that!
I wondered what the new Cats were price wise, thats insane! I dont see how guys plan on making money paying a price like that for a unit like that. The competition in town bought one this fall and i pondered the price and how it could be justified....especially when guys like cutting rates just to do something! Madness as usual
Ohio Cat is very aggressive here in the Midwest. They are buying market share. The more skids they sell, the better prices they get on big stuff and they pump Cat incentives back into the skids. Ten or fifteen years ago, Bobcat had more skids out there than all others combined. Now Cat is number two behind Bobcat. Not bad since they only started building skids in 1999. Ohio Cat price on the 299D2XHP is around $85k plus $6k tax. $91k out the door. Agree with DoyleX, get a 259 for a lot less and charge about the same rate per hour.
I'm sure that's suggested list price. I've never paid sticker price on a truck, and I'm pretty sure you could walk out of there with that machine for a lot less.
I priced that machine here last year and it was in the low 90's. Still a lot of money and but it is a lot of machine. As far as a 259 being half the money with the same hourly rate, I don't think that makes a lot sense. The machines are not in the same category. By that logic why buy a new 259 then when you could buy a BC T140 for half the price of the CAT and charge the same hourly rate. Your buying production, and capacity with the larger machines. Certainly there is some job overlap, but OEM's would not build these 100 hp machines if there wasn't a market for them, and guys wouldn't buy them if they did not make sense to do so.
The price I wrote is what the contractor paid for the machine. It is not the list price. Ziegler and other Cat dealers have monopoly on Cat machines. I was surprised what the Cat dealer in Ohio sells the achine for.
How long was the list of options the customer bought installed on the loader (or included in the sale)..? Just asking.
I do not know what options were included.
And right there could be the issue. Once you start digging into the options catalogue the base price of a machine can go up significantly, even as much as 30-35% in some cases.
I bought a new D series and like Nige says, its the add ons that drive the price. Don't pass up on the heated seat,,, that puppy will scorch ur long handles!!!
The work tools catalogue alone for SSL/CTL/MTL machines runs to 54 pages. With something like an auger adding maybe $4k on to the price of a machine, high-flow hydraulics a similar amount, and an enclosed cab with a/c the same again (so we're up to $12k-ish in the blink of an eye) just exactly how many attachments do you think it would take to jack up the price of a machine significantly..?
I bought an $80k tractor a couple weeks ago for $140k with a 5 yard pan, 12' blade, and a stump grinder attachment... it doesn't take long!