I've seen a few of the youtube videos on the now over stock of some new pickups, and the insane prices that are posted on them. I will never own a new pickup, because if I'm going to blow that huge $ there are so many other things I'd rather in go to. I say if no one buys them maybe at some point the prices will come down.
Next to drugs and alcohol vehicles are a bad investment, really nothing more than a evil necessity. In 1978 you could buy a fully loaded Chevy High Sierra 3/4 ton 4X4 for $7,800.
3/4 ton and up pickups and C&C's are hard to get new here. At some point the supply/demand curve will change but I don't see it happening anytime soon. It took 8 months for me to get a '22 F350 from order date to delivery. Haven't even received a build date on a '23 I ordered last October.
A week or 2 ago I was joking to my lady freind that I should get a new pickup she says there's nothing wrong with yours. Fast forward to last evening we went to dinner and somehow it came up that activities may have happened in said pickup with previous.... I got told to buy a new truck
Doesn't want to set in the stink.
I hear that Ford is going to start selling direct to the consumer if the dealerships don't lower their prices.
My 1982 C1500 Sierra Classic 6.2 diesel suburban stickered for $18k. And, it only had 130hp, no ABS, and no airbags (SRS) but it did have the AM/FM/CB in the dash. That's $38k in today's dollar. Today, a diesel 2wd suburban is $59k
actually according to the inflation calculator that Suburban is actually $58k in todays dollars. CPI Inflation Calculator In 2016 I brought a nicely optioned just above base level Dodge Ram 1500 with extended cab and the 5.7 V8 for $32k. In 2023 the equivalent truck is $10-12k more. It’s not that the truck prices are high it’s that the dollar is worth so much less for reasons we all know and hate. In 2012 when I first started looking at a career change for better money I was making $11/hr and thought that $20 would be having it made and getting $30 an hour would put me on top of the world. Boy was I wrong… nowadays $30/hr ain’t jack. On average if you compare a given consumer item adjusted for inflation to its past price it’s usually the same price or even less (and sometimes drastically less). It’s something I always keep in mind when somebody says “Oh yeah well X only cost $50 back in 1960!”
Let's just call it regrets and leave it at that........
Actually truck prices are high-because there filled with too much overdesigned crap that's become standard equipment. In 1978 the guys working the local meat packing house on the fab line were making just under $20 an hour I think minimum wage was 2.30.
I wonder why...hmmm That's on Ford's main page. Damn screen larger than any screen I got in my house!
The chip problem caused an availability problem which has driven up pricing along with other materials shortages. I've heard stories of dealers selling 3/4 and one ton trucks to the highest bidder and getting $15-$20K over sticker. I do vehicle purchasing at my job and I bought a 2022 F350XL with plow for $39,100 under our State Bid system. I've ordered a 2023 twin to it, absolutely identical and the price is $54,000. It was ordered last November and like CM1995 I haven't been given a production date, they've said to expect it late summer. I'm active with my hometown government and their maintenance department had ordered a Chevy 2500 through State Bid and had their order cancelled after about 6 months. GM wasn't able to fulfill it. Over the past few months I've started to see heavy pickups appearing in stock at local dealers but the dealers are tacking on a "premium" to the MSRP due to the still limited number available. Once they start sitting there a while pricing will start to come down again but I don't expect that to be real soon. I saw an F150 Lightning, the full electric model with an $18,000 premium over MSRP!
In 1957, a Chev 1 ton pickup suggested list price, $1961.32 with factory delivery and handling of 159.00. A half ton was $1626.32. I'd like to know what a decent wage was then, to figure out how much higher the cost is now versus an equivalent wage.
In 1966, when I got out of the Navy, I priced a half ton Chevy; 6 cyl, three on the tree w/no radio for a little more than $1900. I had been working part time in a garage on my liberty time for about a year, and I was offered $2 an hour to stay in Charleston. I didn’t buy the truck, came home to Vermont and the best jobs I could find in SW VT paid a $1 to 1.25 an hour. My wife’s first teaching job, in Vergennes, paid something like $5600 a year. I commuted from Vergennes to Burlington for a mechanic job at $2.40. The I-H branch up there started at 2.52, but I was happy where I was, for a while. Times sure have changed. I think we were better off in those days.
I don't plan on ever again buying a new vehicle. They're overpriced and have far too much unreliable electronic **** in even the base models now.
I placed an order for 2 new SUV’s in 2021.Took the first one out of the showroom that week,and collected the other one on Wednesday. By Friday I’d sold the brand new one at a few coins more than I’d paid for it.There are still supply and demand issues here in the UK too,and certain brands will not come down in price.They will just take longer to sell. I also bought a new Toyota pickup in 2021 after a 6 month wait.I hardly use it,but will keep it as long as need it,which will be many years to come.They are still expensive to buy. We’re currently about 5 months into a recession that’s yet to be officially confirmed and work is definitely quiet. This is to be expected to be fair,and the sooner we get into it,the sooner we get out of it.
They can't, it's actually against the law.
I try but cant under stand how you can ever calculator what a dollar was worth at one time ? My Dad bought the cheapest GMC there was in 1979 i think he gave $4000.00 . He wasnt ever able to buy another new one after that. At one time 75% or more of the people i know would buy new to replace old but today i think saying 10% is a high number for people i know buying new to replace old. When your average Joe makeing a ok wage shouldnt by a new car thats messed up. I wonder what Henry Ford would think .
Back in 1973, I bought my first new pickup and started my first job fresh out of college. I was making about $3.85/hr plus overtime. I bought a brand new Ford heavy duty half ton, 4x4, long bed, with a v8 and 4 speed trans. It cost me right at $3400, including tax. Two days ago, I was talking to a guy at Lowes who had a new fancy Ford F350 dually. I ask about the cost and he said he had to give right at $90,000 for it, last week. Prices on new vehicles have gone nuts. Jeff
Some one is way off.
What gets me is i made more money per hour at my last job than most made . I dont owe any one or have any payments other than monthly stuff i was able to save a little every month. There is no way i could buy a new pickup. At half what they want it would steal be high.
Yeah, but that new Ford will do 0-60 in 5 seconds up a 7% grade with a 30,000lb trailer, while heating and massaging your back and playing you a movie. Bet your '73 couldn't do that . . .
Was trying to buy a new car last year. One dealership was MSRP, but added about $4300 worth of extras, rustproofing, nitrogen tires, door edge guards, and a near endless list of no cost BS with a huge markup. After my wife looked it over she really liked it. Wife made an offer of MSRP, but no, dealership had made lots of improvements to vehicle. Wife thanked him for his time, said he was a really good salesman. She said his chest was getting all puffy. Then she said he could contact her again when he took a job with an ethical dealership and turned around and walked out. I am currently looking for a long box crew cab chevy 4x4 gasser. The few I've found seem to have just been sold, but I'll keep looking. Was told new order would be 4-6 months and would be 2024.
Covid is the biggest problem with all prices being high, producers of anything realised if people couldn't get what they wanted when they wanted it, they would pay more to make sure they did get it, all of a sudden we are getting " shortages" of "important" components for anything from vehicles to white goods, and that is followed up with well if you want one we can get one but for this much extra. in the UK we are getting " shortages of food stuffs now, and oh look the price jumps up at the same time corporate greed! companies are trying to recoup loss's made through 2020-2022 by just grabbing as much as possible as quick as possible, and we are all falling for it.
It sure will and I enjoy every minute of it. Never knew I needed messaging seats but they sure are nice on long trips. The supply chain issues are from the governments around the world shutting everything down. Shut factories down for months on end and that is a massive supply chain disruption which is not easily fixed. In 2021 the supply chain was predicted to be screwed up well into 2023 and possibly 2024 in which I scoffed at the time. Looks like those predictions may come out to be true.
Well, nowadays with the global supply chain everyone depends on the big corporations being stable in their supply chain. They created some of the issue by outsourcing components from anywhere in the world to be able to access cheaper components. Some set up manufacturing facilities in other countries for tax and labour advantages. Then throw in foreign political trade disputes, etc. and we have an increasing risk of supply issues and costs. It seems to currently be a ‘down the rabbit hole’ kind of thing
I had a discussion with a very high up sales person in a large producer of ag machines in the UK, and basically told them to shove the machine they wanted 20% more for in 6 months, I then said I'd come back next year and have their pants down on the price when they have a glut of machines, his exact words were " that won't happen, we've been told by those at the top of the chain, that from now on production is being scaled back thus keeping demand high so they can charge more"
You would be smart to wait for a '24 anyway. You get the 10 speed with the 6.6 gas, and the new exterior and interior. Well worth the money to wait for a '24.
Im done with this expensive vehicle BS. Im lookin for a wagon for these guys.Should be good until they tax horse farts.
I bought my Toyota Tacoma in 2013 with a canopy added for right at $30,000. It is the only new vehicle I've ever owned. I didn't drive it much in those days because I had a company truck while I was an employee. It's getting close to 90,000 miles now and I'll keep it till it is outlawed or there is no fuel available for it. My wife's car is a 2002 4 Runner we bought used and it has almost 200,000 miles showing and the same thing goes for it. Only made payments for two years on each. Interest rates because of the big down payments were one point seven five percent. I could have paid cash for either but had some better uses for my money. What people forget is all these high dollar modes of transport have finance charges on top of the sticker prices. I don't even want to think about the actual cost paid and the amount that flows into a banker or finance company's hands for doing nothing except renting their money. Most of us got suckered into the idea of I can have anything anytime I want it with just some easy payments.
Ford Is Going After Dealers Caught Price-Gouging As EV Sales Boom Ford CEO Jim Farley said 10 percent of Ford dealerships were caught price-gauging customers on new EVs like the popular Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lighting. www.motortrend.com
You left out the extended warranty that was added in. Paying interest on extended warranty. Our 2017 Nissan car has 12,130 miles on it, payed cash for it 26,000. 2006 Ford Ranger has 132,000 on it, bought it used with 55,000 for 6,000. Those vehicles will last me till I'm dead. The Nissan gets 42 to the gallon. The last 2 years we bought two tanks of gas. we drive a lot.
Imagine that--an american business man caught price gouging. Why that just ain't right Martha.
I mean, if some fool wants an electric F150 so bad he is willing to pay 150k for it . . . I am going to call that a little healthy wealth redistribution! Might even lead to some natural selection...
In Washington State a manufacturer from out of state cannot sell directly in to the state. The manufacturer's only recourse is to limit the number of units that are available to a dealer in the state. MSRP means nothing in a free market society as the only checks on price are the demand for the item. It's why we are seeing prices on things like groceries, consumer goods and energy inflating. The idea of raising interest rates is to choke out the available money in which to expand business and society and is counter to a free market society. It costs more to put items in the supply chain which limits the numbers of items, which increases demand which allows the increase in prices and we now have the snake eating its own tail. Price gouging is a loser's term because it means that someone can't have something because they can no longer afford it. To someone selling an in demand item, getting anything less than the most they can is bad business. That idea is OK for nice to have assets. It is pretty low when considering it in terms of have to have items like food, housing and energy.
Exactly, if the mfr wants the dealer to sell closer to list price then they should produce as many as the dealer wants to order! If they only produce a scant few, then the prices are going to rise. If the dealer is not allowed to sell at a high markup then some speculator will buy it and resell and pocket the markup himself. Capitalism is just a description of what human behavior is and this is capitalism.
Here, the dealers have the vehicles on consignment. One family here has Ford, Dodge Jeep, and Mazda. The father had Ford, and when they bought the Dodge dealer, he gave Ford to the son. Another son runs Mazda. Another family has Kia, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai
This picture is the Ford dealer in my town in 1965. My dad bought the light blue F100 2nd from the left. He remembers paying around $1800 for it. He was working as a heavy duty mechanic in a union shop making around $3.50 an hour. So after taxes around 600 hours labour bought a new plain pickup.
I try hard not to buy the new model of anything. There are always bugs. Heck, I just saw there is a class action suit against GM for 8 speed transmissions from 2013-2019. I want something proven, then I drive the wheels off it. When I'm done with it, it goes out in the pasture, nobody will want it for a trade in. Then I rob parts off it to keep other stuff running.
Also counter to free market society is printing large amounts of play money and handing it out because certain portions of said society were ordered to close for two weeks. This hypothetical scenario could cause transitory inflation.
I agree-----------but---------------------******* someone just because they are caught with their pants down isn't right. It's absolute low down zero respect behavior which should be resolved in not a nice manor. I have zero tolerance when it comes to that it's nothing more than greed. A businessman has a right to fair profit, and a consumer should understand nothing is free. It also leads to inflation-a direct example is the housing market. And one individual that lives off of and creates inflation is a realtor. not a rant just a fact. Being a good businessman requires self respect and respect for their customers.
Printing large amounts of money is because greedy people lockup their money in hidden accounts over seas to avoid their fair share of taxes. Having three mansions and multiple boats and airplanes and then whining about how everyone else should pay for roads, schools, research and the military and throw a fit because us farm animals want to make a living wage is why we came off the gold standard and onto the credit standard. I'm a bit tired of hearing that labor is the cause of all the country's problems. It is a basic problem with the mentality of capitalism that it has come to mean that good business is only for the benefit of the owners and share holders and not society at large.
^^^^^^^
That 10 speed has been behind the Duramax since 2020 and its outstanding.
I'm waiting on one of you to buy me a new truck. My birthday is September 1st
Laws need to change so manufactures can sell direct. I can't stand auto dealers. In 1972 a Boeing machinist trainee started at $4.24 an hour. Funny deal, in 62 parents bought a new car for $1800. in 69 they almost got a new car for $2200. Prices didn't move much from the mid 1950's to almost the 1970's. Then at one point in time it went total nuts for pricing. New truck, I wouldn't want one, even if free, the $ instead please.
9+ months for me, ordered early Dec '21, received Aug 22
Amen to everyone's fair share! Everyone over 18 should pay $10,000 (or whatever number) in federal taxes every year. No need for the IRS, forms, audits, etc. Just pay your fair share!
I bought a 2017 F350 XLT, long bed, crew cab, diesel, 4x4 in 2017. It was $59k OTD (out the door). I got the same truck in 22. It was $85k OTD. That is over a 30% increase.
Agreed. The franchise laws vary by state so a state could change their laws to allow direct consumers sales and bypass the dealers mark-up. Just think the money that would flow in from neighboring states that had archaic franchise laws. Agreed - there is no such thing as price gouging IMO. One man, society or the the gov't does not have the right to tell another man what he can sell his property for. Just like one man, society or the government has no right to cap what a man can make by the fruits of his labor.
I bought my F150 the first year they went to the 2nd gen 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 speed. The 5.0L wasn't slated for an update and the 10 speed until the following year. Told the sales guy that if he had no leftover 1st gen Ecoboosts with the 6 speed that I'm going with the 5.0L. I refuse to buy anything the first year of a model change or update.
That's why I am hesitant to actually take delivery of the '23 350 on order. It's not a major makeover like 2010 to 2011 or 2016 to 2017 which were both model changes that came out for the better IMO. However with supply chain constraints and overworked assembly lines it might be a different outcome this time around. My '22 has been great so far (secretly knocks on wood.. )
You folks totally miss read what I typed.. so be it. This is what I was referring to. link. Price Gouging Laws by State - FindLaw FindLaw's extensive state-by-state listing of price gouging laws. www.findlaw.com
Didn't miss what you typed at all - just disagree with it. Looks like from the N/A designations several other states are on board as well.
That is the essence of it right there. 2 parties = good. 3 parties = not so good.
Looks like 15 NA including Puerto Rico-that's not a majority. Odd thing is Alabama has a law and mine Washington doesn't.
Yep - not something I agree with in my home state.
Funny stuff. I guess you bring in more than 20k per year? There are many way under that for their supposed income. So you would expect said person to live and have only 10K a year to buy all the inflated priced stuff and property taxes etc. etc? Think again. Instead of 10K per year you should mean 10% per year, and not for old retired folks that live on pennys as it is. Its bad enough to be paying over 6K a year just to live in your own home even if it is paid off.
I do not want to break forum rules and this may be getting political. My point was a 'fair share' should be the same amount for every person. I do not understand why one person's 'fair share' is more than another's. They are both one person in society. And no on the income thing. I think the government should not be allowed to spend anywhere near the money they do. 300M people x $1,000 is a quite sufficient budget in my mind.
100% agree with that.
It is called a head tax. $10k and if you can't pay it you simply don't get to vote. Not a popular idea these days but I think it has great merit.
Its called a poll tax. Outlawed because its discriminatory. If you really want to fix things, require that any person donating to a candidate must be a legal voter for the candidate to whom they are making a donation.
Poll is an archaic word and not related to voting originally. But actually makes sense. Outlawed because of abuses at a certain time in our history. But its effect would be, those who don't produce don't get to vote themselves benefits. There is that third party again. Party A gives money to Party B and Party C has nothing to say about it. If the head tax was in effect instead of convoluted laws, then the candidate would not be in such a position to give favors back to the donor.
1976 I bought a New 1977 K20 Chevrolet std cab Scottsdale trim package pickup. My price was $6700+/- some. 350 4spd fwd, had to add on AC as was not originally built with. AC Add was in the price. In 1975 had looked at a New IHC 3/4ton fwd std cab was under $4500. Should have bought that one. bought Used trucks from 77 on until 1996, late year bought a 97 F250ext cab 351 auto fwd. POS. Best day gs mileage LESS than the 460 used monster I had, cab leaked from week one, marker lamps area. Pretty truck but a PITA, so traded again in 99 for the SD I still have that is speedily rotting away. Gave $18xxx for the 97, got $17+ in trade that paid off loan, new SD was $25xxx List but was discounted to $23xxx. Paid off in two years. I made $5.50/hr in 77 plus scrapping moneys side working, In 96 at UE was making just over $21/hr. By 2000 most mechanics I knew were just over $25/hr I was making $37/hr at power station. In 1987 bought the wife our first New CAR in years being together, Merc Cougar was $89xx, in 91 traded that for a new Explorer and was a New model for Ford was $14xxx. Had various CHEAP cars for wife from 91 to 2017, bought her the current Exploder and it will HAVE to last as was just under $28xxx. New Pickups I have seen bought or offered for sale around here, Crew Cab Dually are OVER $75 for Gas and closer to $90 for Diesel, unless get stupid options loaded models and those well over $100K. Warranties are worthless, as get you for Shops Supplies and other Fees so still end up paying for repairs. Have NOT Bought a Extended warranty since the 87. At my retirement Income no outside work income I am making over $25/hour so roughly Five Times what made in 1976, where that 77 K20 today would be around $60-75,000 is roughly Double where should be in relative figure to income. EVEN if take it out to $35-40/hr and shift it to 8 times what I made in 76/77 is still well above the value of Income. I could for $160 TAKE Home pay per weekly paycheck buy a truck on a three year note and still eat while buy tools, pay housing expenses. Costs rise Exponentially to Payrolls, does not factor out as to Value or Inflation Based.
Know for a fact as Pete Salesman admitted to last boss, Rises in expenses to purchase new Class 8 Trucks is factored in Warranty expenses. Same is true for Cars. As get more technified become more problematic as well more expensive to diagnose and far more extensive/expensive to repair. A Radio of yesterday was $150 for a Good one, for a Entertainment Climate Control and GPS Center is a few grand today, and for what, satellite radio with electronic bells and whistles. So over glorified technogeek plastic crap that fails expensively. Electronics Controls Modules, Seven in last Western Star I drove EACH well over a Grand, Main Control Module was over $2500, that is now over $4000 IF can find one and NO ONE repairs as cannot get the Programming info from Frt Lnr, Being Priced out of general public's hands and seemingly Intentionally.
I have bought Ford ESP's since 2006. Bought a 5 year 100K mile extended warranty on a 2006 350 with the notorious 6.0 boat anchor. A week shy of 5 years and 92K on the clock I dropped it off at the dealership, paid the $100 deductible and Ford paid for a new top end. Don't know about other manufacturers but Ford's is or at least was solid. Plan on buying one for my '22. Wonder what percentage of those warranty costs are emissions related that were mandated by the Federal Government? I have yet to experience a major technology failure not attributed to gov't mandated emissions equipment. See Ford 6.0 EGR head gasket failure above.
Here is your chance CM to correct that Blue Oval issue!
A 2023 v8 F150 4x4 with heavy duty suspension and no manual transmission is $53k, vs your 1973 f150.
Won't be a factor for me. Far too many people in this area rapidly tiring of the high payments they are saddled with for the convenience of new as the economy continues to tank and the price of essential goods/items continue to increase. I am seeing more and more luxury or "high end", (exorbitant) used vehicles and consumer goods being marketed with the tag line of "Must Sell" at a reduced price from what the online sources state for resale value. I notice a two to three week interval with a listing at such and such dollar amount, then a price reduction for the same amount of time then repeated yet again till it sells at a lower price. I still drive my 96 Dodge one ton pickup, (dually) daily as my everyday driver. I purchased this new before they became in "Vogue" and although pushing 250K on the clock and being "Krusty but Trusty" underneath, and held together with three patches welded to the frame from rot, everything still works on the old girl; and it's good enough for who it's for. Sure, it's one good breakdown from scrap but I'll drive it to that point. Still doesn't burn or leak anything and the engine or transmission both have only had routine maintenance performed with exception of a starter, alternator, radiator, ball joints, pitman and idler arms. Of course tires, brakes, drums, and rotors which I consider wear items. Brake calipers and wheel cylinders are original, but I do flush the fluid bi-annually and change the differential and transmission oil and filter. Out of habit I still check the income and expense reports monthly and plan expenditures accordingly to keep the tax burden at bay. When I agreed to purchase, and ordered that Dodge on 3/3/1996, I was driving my 57 B-61 Mack truck. Told the manager of the dealership the old Mack would replace the new Dodge one day. Whether he believed it or not I don't really know, but I still see him from time to time and he always asks if I still have both. I do think he now believes the Mack will replace the Dodge as he's seen how bad it's getting. I'm usually driving the Dodge when picking up parts. The subject still generates a good laugh too.
I already have my New to me Truck, have less money in it than that 23 F150, Gonna Stay that way.
When the orders opened, my son was very alert to the minute. We made the journey to order a new Ford, my first Ford since 1995. GM no longer offers medium duty pickups. I likely have the date in my log. Ford notified me soon after of their policy to notify me every 45 days that my truck hasn't yet been built. I've received three notices now that it hasn't been built. Silly me! I figured if it had been built, they would mention that, therefore no need for "it hasn't been built." Confirms my belief that Ford only hires college graduates. I think it's drug abuse in colleges causes this.
The other big problem with truck prices is the fact that no one is satisfied with a base model truck anymore. The stuff the dealers keep on the lot is often close to double the price of a base model. Some how everyone used to get by just fine with a regular cab, 2wd, low trim level pickup with the small gas motor but not anymore I guess. Now everyone NEEDS a crew cab, 4wd, 1000lb-ft diesel, king ranch platinum lariat with every ‘infotainment’ geegaw known to man...
I bought a 2002 Ford E-250 van with a 6 cylinder and 250k on the clock for $5k last year. I really like it. Not my daily work truck but it is nice when I do drive it. I wish it had cruise control but it does have AC.
When times get tough-show me a frying pan and stove big enough to fricassee a $80,000 dollar pickup. You can't pour enough Adolph's meat tenderizer on to make it edible. All that can be done is set and look at it and wish someone else had it and you have a plate of food.
Do not know who else sees the actual trucks pricing. At the Local yard the owner showed me the receipts for 2016 units, then the 2018s and as went on the 2020s and 21's Latest and greatest were the new 2023s he just got. From 2016 to 2023 there was almost a hard double on his fleet, 148-162K in 16, move to 23 those same day cab sets or sleeper units are now 238-265. Seven years and essentially 100k price jump. Prior to 2010 they had seen a few thousand a year every other year, by 16 was expanding, has become exponential. My OWN Silver 92 1979 K100C bought late 1979 USED with reciprocity and trucking company pedigree was $42,000. Just KNEW had made a good choice, BOY was I ever proved WRONG.
I think it's from Ford not communicating with it's customers about their orders so they are going overboard. Before I ordered my '22 I joined a Ford Tremor forum specifically for the Tremor package offered on 150's, 250's and 350's. From the threads and knowledge of the members there I learned more about the Ford ordering process than I ever cared to. Ford took a lot of heat for accepting the order via email and then no correspondence for months on end. I guess the 45 day email was their fix? Which reminds me I'm due for the 45 day email. It's not that anyone needs it - I just want it. Spent my childhood riding around in old trucks with holes in the floor going to work - hot as hell in the dog days of Alabama summers. Graduated to newer trucks with no A/C, roll up windows and AM radios. Never want to go back to anything like that again, it's not nostalgic in any way to me. If I can help it I am going to drive the nicest pickup I can afford. It's my office, dog transport, RV toting beast of a truck that I really, really enjoy driving.
The craziest thing is a truck from 2003 or 2023 the only thing really different is the huge radio. You keep your debit, I'll pay cash for an old truck and we will see who has more money down the road.
When I used to work on fireline hand crews, after a 16 hour day on foot in the bottom of some canyon or worse yet a night or two "spiked out" camping rough, an old truck with crank windows and no AC sitting in the hot sun for days sure looked good even if you were riding in the bed of it, instead of walking and carrying a chain saw and all your gear. Nowadays all I need is power steering and AC and all I want is cruise control and a radio. I will do without AC if I have to but not for too long.
No doubt. If I had been wild land firefighting anything from 2 to 4 wheels with a motor that goes down the road would be a saving grace.
Like cm said for a pickup I try to get the news I can get my paws on the 2017 I currently have I ordered new. My lady freind is driving it as I have her 05 6.0 torn apart for oil leaks(due to poor previous repair) and to fix its hard starting 6 out of 8 glow plugs where cooked. I'm my own personal ride needed this level of repair it would soon be going bye bye. There's enough to fix let alone some pos pick that I then have to drive to work to make the money to fix it. A fixed monthly payment and a warranty doesn't sound so bad at times. A company truck is the best benefit in the world if it breaks I get payed to fix it or it goes to the local dealer. Makes a pretty loyal employee it seems
All y'all lived on paved roads and barely venture off road much. Never buy a used truck from around here, it's beat to F and back, if it's used and not from here give it a year or less and what wasn't Fked up before will be now. Those bushings no one notices that are still there but are dry rotted will be wallowed out to steel on steel out here. Don't bother buying a diesel unless you tow daily or don't use the truck but to tow, the body won't last the 300k miles on this road. I personally think it's time for a less than 10 year old Ford truck out here and yes I need that 4WD or I ain't getting home. Ruts so deep out here with a Jeep and plus 2 inch tire side we are starting to high center to get home.
A company truck is a win/win benefit for the employee and the company. The employee gets a truck as part of compensation and the company gets the write off. A company truck is at a minimum $2000 per month benefit when the cost of the truck, insurance, maintenance and fuel is included. That's $2K a month not taxed by the government for the employee and a $2K a month write off for the company. Win-win.
I worked for mid level government and we paid “taxable benefits “ on the company truck. Still a lot cheaper than suppling my own transportation and if the truck didn’t start or had a flat, I got paid to wait until someone came and fixed it ( was told I was not allowed to change a tire as I wasn’t qualified). Cam
A warranty is only good if the dealer knows how to fix what goes wrong, and has time to do it after all the other warranty work gets done. I've seen the service line at our Ford dealer, jammed up with fleet trucks waiting for their turn for the lift that takes the cab off.
I've haven't had this problem personally but I can see it being a problem.
I have many times seen this very problem. The then local Ford dealer used to borrow one of my lifts almost weekly for pulling cabs. They had two lifts and needed two more but couldn't dedicate the space needed without adding onto the building which was not an option.
I'm with spud. Local trucks are all beat to death. Useful trucks on dealer lots are auction buys. Now, it's very hard to find a 8' box. Between a slip tank, air compresser, and a tool box, a 6.5 foot box doesn't have anycompressed, I did finally find a crew cab c&c with a 8' flat bed. Paid way to much, but it does have rubber floor mats! Anybody ever put Rhino lining on a flatbed?
How does that differ from a $5k truck?
Yes, I think it's holding up but I haven't seen the truck up close for awhile. It's a 2014
I did the cheapy rustoleum bed liner in a can once on a flatbed, and wasn't impressed. Didn't seem to add enough traction. If its a powder coated bed, you may have trouble getting rhino lining to stick to it.
Other than my '06 for head gaskets covered under warranty, I haven't had any issues with the other 4 superdutys I've owned since then.
Speaking of trucks... I'm looking at service bodies right now. Be best if I bobbed the 5 ton military truck I have and put a service bed on it with a crane and of course some stabilizers, got about 17' of frame to play with. Use to think I didn't have enough tools to run my own service truck, but after a month working for someone maintaining a fleet of semis and whatever else, I'm just missing a handful of tools. Just copy their service trucks and few extras of course for personal use and I'm good to go! Don't necessarily need to go mobile, but I get asked a lot if I got my own tools and reply with no cause I didn't think I had enough, now I know. Another thing is I spend almost a hour over a 9.5 hour shift trying to find missing tools and it's ***** irritating!!!!
Find a used Utility Truck or US MIL Service Body truck, cheapest alternative and already have bodies installed generally with some connection setups for welders, inverters etc. Is how I started as a Inde and should have continued with. Digger Derrick trucks, remove Hawser style rope, convert to cable, Hell of a Load rate and boom capability even using the synthetic rope.
That's what I'm looking at, reason for "maybe" bobbing the 5 ton is most used service beds are for single axles and I won't get home in a 4 x 2 configuration nor to some job sites. So I need at least a 4 x 4 couple with a rig made to handle major off roading. So researching digger derrick truck beds...
As to Dealer lot Pickups, either have to order one stripped back and maybe eventually take delivery or buy what they have for whatever money they ask as for the Bells and Whistles installed as that is Factory production preference.
If get a DD Set up, will be amazed, 90% are Posi rear or at least Eaton Lockers, with the added Boom weight are damned hard to stick. Ask line crews.
https://www.truckpaper.com/listing/...l-workstar-7400-truck-mounted-digger-derricks
I like a comfortable truck. I like my technology of stuff like backup cameras (makes hooking up a trailer a one shot no getting out more than once breeze). It also makes tight parking a breeze. I like my radio to connect to my phone for streaming music, podcasts, and audio books. I like a quiet noise free cab and a comfortable ride with comfortable seats. I like plenty of storage for my gear. All my life growing up we drove old crap and had to fix it every other weekend. I’m not going back to those days.
This ^^^
I've pondered those digger derricks as well for a service truck. The auger would be an added bonus for drilling parking lot light pole bases - easy money. You can find them with tool boxes almost all the way around and some with a man bucket. Could be a useful truck for personal/yard use.
An old 5 ton would be an annoying to drive 45 mph everywhere
Night and day difference performance and comfort wise from the '03 350 6.0 I had to the '22 350 6.7 I have now - no comparison.
It must be a matter of perception, because I was driving a 97 7.3 F-250 diesel manual 5 speed bench seat to and from work, and driving a modern Super Duty 6.4 as a work truck, and I did not care any more about the modern SD. And since then the SD has been sold due to numerous problems and replaced with another one 6.7 that also has numerous problems, meanwhile old 7.3 is still doing duty as a shop truck, AC still cold, radio still works.
99% chance it's payed for and wasn't financed, plus your insurance is affordable.
Like my brother the 1%er said one time--if you can't pay cash for it then you can't afford it.
You doing something wrong, I can get it up to 60 if I had the tires balanced on the rear. Not pushing it cause I need to pur new tires on. This one is a A2 version, not the A1 with a 855 Cummins with 5 speed.
Never owned or drove a 6.4. However I have owned 3 - 6.7's with no issues, the oldest ('13) 6.7 has 200K miles. Also have a '01 7.3 bought new with over 200K on the clock and all that it is needed to tell the difference between a 7.3 and 6.7 is tow 12K lbs with each of them. No comparison.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1757030401297617/?ref=saved&referral_code=null&__tn__=! The above is an ad on facebook ,someone just wanted the truck.It might be a bit far for you,but id bet theres stuff like this closer to you. See this kind of stuff around here quite a bit.This rig served us well for many years .300 amp welder and compressor on it. The crane with a boom mounted winch was handy a shirt pockets for tight spots. It was originally a telephone service truck.
Two styles of Digger Derricks, Insulated and NON Insulated Booms. Squirt section is White and considerable THICK walled is Fiberglass, Insulated. All Steel non insulated, latter is generally fr City or State services trucks that deal with Signage posts sets and NOT electrified. Glass Booms take a little less abuse to damage.
Mine was all steel .Came from the telephone co. Also was equipped with the auger ,making the crane very heavy duty.
I had an old Ford to use with the auger crane with out the auger. I like those winches at the end, you can extend and not have to constantly adjust them. I think it was a 4.5 ton, the thing I didn't like is having to climb up on the platform to operate the crane.
I don't know if you seen it, there's a member on here called TOMV that has a service truck that sounds like what you are looking for.
Nope haven’t heard of them. Though I found his rig, that would get stuck coming up here.
This is similar to Eaton and other makers Locker Differentials, Axle Snapping mothers!!!
Arse end would wag like a dog tail while sinking trying to climb a 25 plus degree ridge. Needs to have a front axle to help pull it up. I need to go take a picture today or tomorrow. Though I am watching that particular one on eBay right now to put in my front rear axle, it even needs help.
I meant the bed with double axles for you 5ton
So what do we do in times of an emergency, such as a hurricane, where the demand for certain items goes out of sight (plywood, food, tarps, fuel, generators, potable water, ice, caskets, etc.)? The supply chain for every item is based on workers who make those items putting in a 40-hour week, and on truckers being similarly restricted (calculating the latter is beyond the smarts allowed in my pay grade). So, BOOM, a hurricane like Katrina that hit New Orleans hits a populated area of the U.S., with many deaths and huge damage to most houses, as well as to commercial and industrial buildings and facilities. Plywood, food, tarps, fuel, generators, potable water, ice, caskets, etc. are now in huge demand. But price controls restrict local retailers from raising their prices -- seems fair on the surface, eh? Two days in, and the local retailers are now out of product, even though they ordered resupplies days before the storm was due to hit, but resupply under normal (price control restrictions) will take weeks. The supply chain is accustomed to supplying retailers for non-emergency times, and because a normal profit is part of cost, with price controls the retailers cannot afford to offer the suppliers more money to make more goods, or the logistics system higher prices to expedite delivery of these desperately needed goods. Not having a higher profit incentive, the manufacturers of these goods cannot ramp up their production because their workers are already working at 40-hour-per-week maximum production and there is no additional money to pay their workers for working overtime. Similarly, logistics is only making a normal profit on their trucks, so the trucking companies cannot afford to put a second driver on to expedite shipping deliveries. So, those who believe in price controls in these circumstances feel righteously justified (unless they are in the hurricane-impacted area), and those who need those goods are just way out of luck.
Trucking in a emergency is not a issue-there's plenty of trucks nation wide. The problem then becomes what are they going to haul back. As far as a supply chain from manufacture--that issue exist because of just in time delivery, causing not enough supply on hand, witch wasn't a real issue years ago because there was a thing called a full warehouse. Remember the toilet paper and cleaning supply debacle? That whole problem was caused by social media ramping up fear which in turn caused hoarding across the country worrying about having a clean ass. Which raised the price of toilet paper. As a nation we cause many of our own problems because of paranoid greedy behavior. As far as areas of the country that are impacted every year by storms like Tornados. There should automatically be depots of mass quantiles of all the normal emergency items. Instead of shipping those items overseas. The other item-any state that is prone to certain types of disasters--Stop building trailer parks tornados are attracted to them. Forest fire areas--no brush or trees within 200' of a dwelling. Flood area--never should received a permit to build in the first place. Building in a flood plain is just plane nuts. Tornado alley-all houses built from concrete no stick frame structures. Earth quakes-if you chose to live and gamble living on a known fault zone-that should be on them bad choice-best to move to North Dakota not much happens where Shimmy lives just slightly cold now and then.
It's fire prone here, who would of thought to build a steel or concrete structure, new concept to me I never thought of.
Hmm let's raise house construction prices in half of the USA because tornadoes, legit
How about lets not think we are more superior than mother nature and build accordingly to where we live and not build a toothpick frame home and pray one never hits, that if it does insurance will cover it.
I went through a couple of phases in the last few years... My first rig for the business was a 2001 GMC C6500 bobtail dump. Air brakes, 6 speed, Cat 3126. Excellent starter truck. When I was just starting out, doing mostly homeowner jobs and stuff I would consider borderline landscape work (driveways, clearing, etc.) it worked just fine as a dump truck and I could get into tight places with it. It really shined when I had a 26k electric brake tag trailer for it. It pulled my Deere 310J well. I then purchased a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 deleted 6 speed, and got a gooseneck trailer for it. After running it for a month I sold the dump truck and tag trailer... Huge mistake. Truck always broke down and I was always fixing stuff. Didn't stop near as well as the medium duty obviously. Eventually bought an 86 Freightliner with Cat 3406B and 13 speed and a 20 ton tag trailer. Huge upgrade. Sold off the POS Dodge pickup. Funniest thing was I paid $24k for the dodge with 220k miles, $12,500 for the GMC, and $13,000 for the Freightliner. I recently bought a 2003 Freightliner, much nicer truck with some creature comforts, spring susp. and double frame. Detroit 12.7. I recently put the old dump up for sale for $21,000. I paid $42,000 for the new truck. Theres no kill like overkill. I think the upfront cost of a class 8 truck is lower than a pickup, and if being used for towing the operating cost is lower, or at least the same. I have been towing 6 ton mini ex and 5 ton CTL, and pickups just don't cut it for that IMO. Since I don't use a pickup for heavy towing, I run my old 2001 dodge cummins 5 speed. I am a big fan of the 2nd gens.
Trucking: you missed the point. More trucking needed means the employers at the freight company need to pay overtime because their employees already have a regular 40 hr/wk route. Also, if no return load, the one way costs more. Just in time delivery is another product of cheap prices. Those who waste (spend) money warehousing goods for when they are (desperately) needed should be compensated for suck: higher prices (which is NOT price gouging). Who is going to pay for the 'mass quantities of normal emergency items'? I do not want to pay for it through taxes. Let those who may be affected prepare accordingly! They can pay to store such items. If they CHOOSE not to, then when the items are hard to get, the seller should be able to charge whatever folks are willing to pay (what you call price gouging). No trailer parks because of tornadoes? Ok, far more homeless people because that was all they can afford. No trees withing 200' of a dwelling in fire areas? More homeless folks because they can't afford the additional cost of tree removal never mind the GOOD LUCK WITH THE GOVERNMENT AGENCY WHO PROTECTS TREES DEPT. Only concrete homes in tornado alley = more homeless people.
And Concrete Semi Buried homes Earth Sheltered, Radon concerns, kids and wife always ill, cancers, lung diseases, Mold and Mildew. Never mind I worked at the Nuke where two full floors were below grade in four buildings and I spent much of my Rad Prot decay time due to Radon and Radon 'Daughters' that liked the small cracks in the concrete to seep thru.
If I remember there are shiftable air actuated differential lockers for big trucks?
BACK to the Topic, Nothing like a Well slicked used Utility truck, generally hardly even broken in when sell.
Have those in my KW.
DM this is a Thread about the cost of new pickups with a side track on price gouging and digger derricks - the truck not Digger himself. Probably missed a side track here or there. Just messin' with ya' !
We look at tornados from the front porch when they come around here, and we have basements too.
Could be living in a RSH there Spud not so much your converted 2 ton, Tornady Targets. Local Stealers have begun to gain a FEW pickups, primarily Half Tons on the yards. 99% have ALL the Bells Whistles and Soccer Mom Cooled Seat options. So far all have seen are 6' bed Crew Cabs. Last look at was Last Friday afternoon, GMC K1500, GAS, two pages of options $77,xxx, NOT including Prep or Delivery fees. Went by Ford, NO Pickups newer than 2019, Dodge had twelve RAM Pickups on yard and NO ONE LOOKING. Seems those have lost luster for some reason. Ram 1500 Hemi Estimated Fuel economy was 14mpg which means 11mpg. Several 2500s but only One Cummins, NO 3500 or bigger on yard. Washington MO. Local Dodge Dealer where got truck inspected had a 5500 on yard last fall, lasted Two Days, got to a bidding war from three different fellas needing a new truck, got $10K MORE than MSRP. Not seen a dually ANYTHING there since.
The dealership where I found my pu had a new F150 on the showroom floor. 4 door short bed. The sticker was 68,000. Then it had a "rocky ridge" 6" lift kit added that added another 23,000 sticker for a $91,000 total. Then these short old legs would have had to add a $60 step ladder just to get into the darn thing. Bed rails were about chin high.
I heard a story a year or more ago about a Ford dealer with many new Super Duty trucks delivered without some essential "chip" component. Talk was they were planning to title 2021 trucks as 2022. I have the sense everything after that situation has transferred immediately to end users, no sitting on a lot waiting for a buyer. I'm not sure if Ford has delivered any 2023 model year Super Duty trucks. All sorts of rumors, I think they will build on a priority of fully loaded trucks first, except supply chain issues where certain components can't be had.
I don't drive a pickup daily. I drive a four wheel drive van. It's an easy step up to the driver's seat. I can stand on the ground & reach anything in the truck. My son's pickup I have to use a 2' step ladder to even see what's in the bed. Open the tailgate, my arms just got effectively two feet shorter. I use a truck as a tool box, the notion of climbing four feet to stand on the tailgate 50 times a day does not appeal to me.
I love my old man step:
I have a customer that racked his nuts but good on one of those setups with a then new 2008 F-250. Probably his fault, (and we'll never know) but I can easily see that happening with rain, ice, mud, etc. on the work boots. Of course the boots don't apply with the Gen "Z", (or millinials) these days as they don't know what "work boots" are; but I suppose that could happen in tennis shoes or the term nowadays of "sneakers".
Intel from another Ford truck forum dismissed that story of Ford shipping trucks without vital "chips" to dealers. Something to do with final manufacturing and warranty but who knows. I have seen pictures of the 1,000's of unfinished SD's sitting at the Kentucky Speedway waiting on final parts. From what I've read is Ford for the '23 Models is focusing on XL, XLT and certain Lariats. High level Lariats, Platinums, KR and Ultimate will be Job 2 later on this year. Items on the constraint list include - Tremor package, black appearance package, message/heat/cool seats and some other higher end stuff. Saw my first '23 in the wild yesterday when the wife and I went to pick up our RV at the dealership for some warranty work. XLT gasser. Not 100% sold on the new front end. Willie if you want a 4x4 Van those Mercedes campers in the background run $250,000 +/-. The dealership had 5 of them.
Any front end is better than the new Chevys...... yuk
Maybe all the newer trucks from now on will just have the vin's changed to match the proper year. Ford did have thousands of them sitting waiting for chips, I'd also be curious how many paint chips they have from sitting in the hot sun and weather. A huge money saver for all would be for this idiotic yearly changing of vehicles to stop. Just keep everything the same for 10 years or so. Look at all the savings from not having to redesign tooling etc. Also vehicles that don't sell this year can become brand new for next year with a price reduction.
That works well for me . . . lol
I didn't read the whole thread but think there are some things that don't make sense. They are giving tickets for distracted driving and even just having your phone charging from the vehicle center console. How is a giant 15 inch or bigger screen in the middle of the dash not a distraction when driving? I think there is price gouging in a lot of things including vehicles. Ford is apparently trying to do something about it. Good for them. There's also stupid people that will pay ridiculous prices for certain name brands. Canada Goose jackets may be the best and have a lifetime warranty but they should for $1200 and up. A basic torque with a Canada Goose emblem is $100! Only someone with more money than brains would pay $100 for a torque. A classic example of price gouging, when the gov't. actually stepped in was concerning Epi pens. Company had a new CEO that figured they could just raise the price about 3 times higher than it was and make record profits. The BIG issue is that people can die without their Epi pen and not everyone that needs one could afford them. 3 of the leading grocery suppliers in Canada recently agreed to speak in the House of Commons over concerns of price gouging. While grocery prices are at record high prices the leader of the NDP came across as an idiot to me. He seemed to think a huge company like Loblaws (the largest) should somehow have a cap on their profits. 50% of Loblaws increased profit came from other sources than groceries, mostly from financial offerings. If a company adds more stores or services they obviously should expect to make more profits.
No thanks. I like the excitement of a new model with new features and most importantly that new truck smell. Life is short - gotta enjoy it as it flies by.
Automotive styling went down the sewer starting in 1960, and never recovered.
This is a generational opinion. For example the 99 to 07 ford super dutys u really like the styling. And as far as I'm concerned any thing prior to 85 or so may as well be crushed. (Speaking ford pick up here)
Speaking of price gouging. There is no excuse to raise the price of everything in a grocery store to what it is now. Even if the fuel prices went up, you figure the quantity of product hauled, and that will only increase the cost of said product pennys, not dollars. But then the stores are trying to recover the hazard pay for the employees that worked there during the lock downs, that I think they still get.
1930's cars along with post war into the late 1950' were classic in both appearance and appeal. I think 1973 with the advent of the 5mph impact bumpers did automotive "styling" in and down for the count. There were still some pretty decent looking cars and trucks into the early 70's IMO.
05-07 super duty's best looking truck out there
If stores have to pay higher to buy certain items because of no fault of their own, should they be expected to lower their margins is what's at issue. The head of Loblaws said they make $1.00 profit on a $25.00 bag of groceries and they are typically lower priced than Safeway or Sobey's which are under the same owner. He said they should be able to make reasonable profits. The reason they have higher profits is because they sell more. I don't like the prices of groceries but I don't think a company should be punished for being more successful. If somebody had a construction business should they have to scale back their profits because they got busier? If so there's no incentive to seek out more work. The idea of having a business is to make money after all. That said Loblaws was guilty of price fixing bread a few years ago but it was confined just to a certain brand of bread. I think the parent of Loblaws owns or is related to the bakery that makes the bread. They were fined over it. I didn't think much of the head of Loblaws at first but listening to him in the house of Commons I was rather impressed. He was very articulate. The head of the NDP asked if he'd respond to a couple thousand letters he had. He said he'd be happy to look at them. That was hood enough. Will you respond to all of them. We have just as many letters and we try to respond to as much of them as we can but we will be happy to look at your letters. I thought it was a pretty reasonable response without knowing the context of every one of the letters.
Want to know why your pick up costs more, look at the burger flippers wages. You thought the $15 an hour minimum wage was going to just affect them and the restaurant While we are on this rant, don't talk to me about building correct structures for where you live equals more homeless or homelessness in itself and all this BS of why we got homeless, I built all this from living on the streets to where I am now at 42 years old... mic drop, Spud_Monkey out....
Some people are much better at adapting to lower income than others. My dad used say that some business owners would go into a deep depression if their business failed and think it was above them to go work for someone else. The same as people who had a higher paying position and were now out of work. There is no shame in going to work for someone else at a lower position or pay. You need to do what you need to do. Sometimes a little luck and being in the right place at the right time.
I'm See more Chevys than Fords in my area wonder why?
Yes, that is when they started thinking cars should look like bricks instead of cars. I think the 61-66 Fords were the best. 66 had the best grille. 1990s up through 1997 second best. 1970s and 1980s ugly, everything 1999 on up face only a mother could love. Each revision successively worse to where it looks like a plastic kid's toy now. Some models of Tesla car are just good looking, they look like an actual classic car and not a bug eyed alien.
Yeah, don't ship them much of any product to sell because cant/wont build enough of them, then punish them for trying to make extra profit on the few they do get shipped. Remember if you prohibit dealers from marking up then a flipper will just do it and pocket the profit himself.
I like the grill on my 2015 XTR model F150. It and the black version on the Sport model just have a series of parallel bars across the front. The grills on the other models especially the higher end models are way too much chrome and look hideous to me. The Chevy grills from the same period are also just way too much chrome and over-styled for lack of a better term. A lot of newer models of trucks are the same way. The newest Fords are better but it still seems the higher the trim level the uglier the grill and over use of chrome. Just my opinion though not trying trying to knock anybodies preference for styling. I didn't mind the 78/79 Ford grills and liked that body style much better than the 80's style that replaced them. I'm hoping the aluminum body on my truck holds up as long as the powertrain. If you look after a vehicle it usually rusts and becomes an eyesore long before the powertrain is worn out. I'm planning on keeping my truck for 15 years or more at which point it's more than paid for itself. It has a lot of features I like, like the tailgate step, tire pressure monitor, back up camera and sensors and integrated trailer brake control. It's sure to nice to hear a beep before you hit something. Partners car has a camera and lines to indicate distance but doesn't beep. Camera is useless if it's dirty or has ice on it.
Since this thread is concerning trucks, Tesla really missed the mark on their truck and their semi truck. Couldn't be more fugly if they tried. Parked beside a model S and it looked OK but seems having the screen to see your speed and other things in the middle instead of right in front of you could distract your vision on the left some.
Yeah yeah yeah, all the manufactures had to do is say, if you don't like what we do with our designs we are all shutting down. If all auto makers stuck together the nonsense would end.
Looking and fixing are not the same thing, to work on the engine the cabs come off.
Hardly. This is shareholder driven industry partially controlled by the govt. with mandates, and heavy lobbying by the insurance industry to the govt. that issues mandates. Shareholders are in for the profit and if a manufacture cannot sell product, there is/are no shareholder dividend(s), no profit to continue and invest with, and the machine ceases to function as the shareholders exit taking their investment capital with them for other prospects. No disrespect meant but it is the way it works. Most shareholders have stock in more than one manufacturer of automobiles to stay on topic. Seen it myself numerous times. A diversified portfolio is much better than the highs and lows of the single investment strategy where one dive in the market can wipe out several gains.
I like that I drive a truck with seperate bumpers from the body. Still not nearly as tough as the old truck bumpers but saves the body in an accident. The new cars have about a 2 mph bumper and a crumple zone with stiff foam but the slightest bump costs a lot more to repair. Not uncommon to see cars with pushed in bumpers or a bunch of the bumper broken away showing the foam.
Sadly Dave, anything newer than late 90s has a Impact Crumple design Frame, "Impact Absorbing" where any frontal impact above roughly 10-15mph the frames junk and machines total, sheet metal crumples like cheap tin foil.
1st gen SD at least can do everything with the cab on if you want to, the 08-10 you have to tilt the cab to pull the turbo.
I used to feel sorry for the dealer mechanics that worked on the six litre Ford diesels. My previous job I had a fleet of Ford Super Duty trucks with diesel engines. The Ford shop would unbolt the cab and front fenders and rad support cross member then put the truck up on the hoist and put stands under the cab and rad cross member and then lower the truck back down to work on the engine. I once sent them an E450 with a six litre that needed head gaskets replaced. That would have been a horrible job to do because the cab would have to stay in place.
It's too bad the 6.0 that we have now wasn't the 6.0 that came out in 2003
At least they will survive a low speed hit. I got rear ended at a stop light by an idiot I think was on his phone. It really pi$$ed me off because I only had truck for 2 weeks. I'd guess it was about an 8 MPH hit. The bumper is way cheaper/lighter than older bumpers and is made of 3 sections. It was about $1200 to replace the bumper parts. There would have been a lot more damage if the truck had bumpers molded in with the body. The guy's credit card covered it but it was a little sketchy. The body shop forgot to contact him to get paid and I couldn't get it back until it was paid. I would have had to pay and hope to get reimbursed. Thankfully got him on the phone to get his card number and it went through.
Not really Dave, should the crumple section collapse they cannot be straightened or a replacement Section welded in as are component part of base frame. Anything above a slow speed and the truck even looking OK is a total. Saw two of those a GM and Ford at local Body shop when getting my paint materials. They had bought them for Salvage cost to replace frames and resell, will still carry a salvage title when sold.
I started walking around the back of vehicles to look at my surroundings before backing up, old age and all. I have added 'wipe the camera' to my walk around list.
What does that mean? You had it bulletproofed?
There's a lot known about the engine now, some bad design, a lot of bad aftermarket parts, egr, Ford gold....etc They are great engines now, but still picky
Of all the truck forums I am on, I have never heard, even on a Ford site, anyone saying that the 6.0 Diesel is a great engine. Not once. If you believe that, you need to read the lawsuit material between IH and FORD. It is is really interesting. Here is the short version. The 6.0 was a mess, as you stated from bad desgin, mostly due to FORD changes to the engine. The fact that most people don't realize, that there were only minimal changes between the warranty claims from 03 models to 07 models. Many think that later models were better, but that turned out not to be true. I could go on an on. I encourage anyone that finds this stuff interesting to look this up. Some people had better luck than others, but two companies don't spend a Billion dollars fighting each other over warranty claims over a "great engine, they just don't.
I'm lucky I wasn't hit any harder. It was a pretty good jolt. The idiot was driving an older GM truck in ratty condition and wanted to buy my bumper that he just wrecked because his was bent up in worse condition. I was a little shocked he asked and even more so when he didn't even realize it's not even the same brand of truck. Judging by the condition of his truck I'd say hitting vehicles or other things wasn't a rare occurence for him. At first he wasn't sure if he wanted to go through his insurance or pay out of pocket. I'm sure someone told him he's stupid to go through insurance because he let me know 1st thing the next morning.
A 6.0 that is built properly is a solid engine. Not as they came from the factory, but built by a guy who thoroughly understands them and doesn't feel bound by certain regulations.
I got rear ended at a light . The person that hit me said i was backing up .I got a bad lawyer never got anything for my totaled car. Most people dont realize when something happens your on your own there is nothing saying you will get anything. Anther time i payed to learned a lessen .
I've been around the 6.0, yes it's a great engine, there is lots of people that agree. It is not great out of the box unfortunately.
I'm glad I don't work on trucks. My son-in-law bought a 2007 Ford truck with that lousy 6.0. I told him he was making a huge mistake, but he bought it anyway. 6 months later he had the entire upper end torn off that engine..........and it sat like that for 2 years. It was sold to a scrapper, but I think he learned his lesson.
A lot of kids around here have "bullet proofed" 6.0's and drive around town with obnoxiously loud mufflers. However they are still running
Same around here but they are thinning. Fuel cost, rust, price of repairs, fad, etc. is catching up or running it's course.
I too have heard a lot about bulletproofed 6.0s. However their time has passed because a 6.7 is so ridiculously powerful, who would ever want a 6.0 any more. Now it is down to the big money guys who run 6.7s, and us dinosaurs who still hang on to our stock 7.3s. 6.4 not even worth a mention. But I know one guy who bought a bone stock 6.0 work truck off somebody who used it to drive back and forth on a flat freeway every day. He started working it and it immediately lost power. Turned out the cat was plugged. They replaced that and AFAIK that stock 6 liter just pays the bills now. If it was to shell out tomorrow, it could go to the junkyard and still have made him money.
I think that was mostly a Ford thing and the packaging to make it fit. A now deceased buddy was the shop foreman at a school bus garage with over a hundred busses and after the initial problems were addressed, (HPOP, FICM) they were good engines.
The 6.0 is by now a dinosaur for sure. Half of those obnoxious bulletproof jobs are only bulletproof if you are shooting .22's at them . . .
The documents also confirmed that the IH version of the engine was pretty good. Ford made changes due to the power upgrades of the other guys. then expected IH to stand behind the engine. The IH version didn't make the power that the Ford version did, but was a good, serviceable engine. I think your really drinking the Koolaide if you call the 6.0 a great engine. Acknowledging that you have to try and fix it first, then it runs...and becomes a "great engine". Obviously if it was great, you just drive it, you don't have to fix it first and the companies that brought it to market, don't spend a Billion dollars fighting over the cost to pay for warranty issues. The only engine that may challenge the 6.0 as the worst modern day (year 2000 and newer) diesel engine is the 6.4. Another absolute mess. Ford coming off the 7.3 which arguably one of the best diesel engines put in a pickup, kicked the can twice there after. Obviously Ford built their own after that, which have been good overall.
I'd agree with you as there is plenty of "bulletproofed" that really can only stop a bullet. I wouldn't call it a dinosaur though, has modern injectors, injectors control, automatic trans and turbo, based on that I'd call the 7.3 a dinosaur because the auto trans and turbo are lacking.
Later 7.3 auto trans are fine. The turbo is fine, it shoves air into the engine where it belongs.
No rust to speak of here to take them off the road..
Yep, IH had it down, they even improved things with the ole' Maxxforce . . . The 6.0 can be built into a fine engine. There are a lot of people who don't know that, don't know how to do it, whatever. Mine has 275,000 miles, I know of several that are past 400k. Nobody is saying they shipped from Ford as something great. Now the 6.4, there isn't much to be done with that.
Last I heard some important parts of the 6.4 that break a lot are NLA. We had 2 of them, both long gone now.
It's just a turbo hence not a "modern" turbo with vgt and turbine brake capability, and severely puts the 7.3 behind the other engines that have vgt turbos. With the trans not having the proper toe/haul like the 5r110 does in pair with the vgt turbo exhaust brake ability severely limits the 7.3 as well. The 7.3 can have either 2, 4, or 6 injection events I can't recall specifically, so if you pair it up with a proper tune and a vgt turbo with a controller for the vgt actuator it would be quite a different engine and much more in line with the other power stroke engines with power. The 6.0 has something like 2 more injection events over the 7.3, I think it's 6, and is capable of pilot injection, but still needs glow plugs for starting.
Did you have collision insurance? If so your insurance company would have represented you and fought hard it was the other persons fault. It's a real stretch to claim someone backed up at a stop light so you must have had a useless lawyer. The guy that hit me claimed he didn't notice the light changed until the last second. He should have seen I was stopped. I was stopped for probably 5 seconds when he hit me so I'm pretty sure he was doing something with his phone. I had his insurance info in case he tried to get out of paying the body shop.
IIRC not many 7.3s had multiple injection events, and those that did, were troublesome. But that is a lot of years ago, and I never need to mess with mine or care. The EBPV can be wired for an exhaust brake but I never bothered. The 4R100 has "manual tow haul mode", you know the lever on the column, push the button on the end or move it to the 2 or 1 as necessary, works fine. My other one has a stick shift. I run hills steeper than 90% of the members on here, but I also do not tow billy big rigger loads behind my old 7.3. I pick up the phone when I need that done. I bet my old 7.3s will still be running when the current crop of 6.7s is in the scrap bin, too expensive to repair for the 48th time.
Before Covid 33000$ Now 45000$ I have given up hope
In 1992 after a divorce and managing to start over I bought a modest home for $65,000. It was old and run down but it had a lot of potential. The neighbour's brother and wife came to visit him with their 5th wheel and new Ford truck. The neighbour's brother pointed at his new truck ans said "I just paid $65,000 for that truck" I pointed at my house and said " I just paid $65,000 for that house". The house sold again for $250,000 three years ago. The $65,000 truck if it's still running is probably worth $1500.
What kind of pickup could you find to spend $65,000 on in 1992?
Truck and 5th wheel could easily hit $65,000.
Bought a used 5th wheel in 98 far a place to stay near the plant during refuels and bad weather. Was a 92 and already in a RV camp lot. Was tiny by todays standards and pretty shoddy construct paid $1500 and $45 a month lot rental plus electric. Sold it in 2000 for $1500 but delivered it to new owner close to 80 miles away.
I just had liability insurance if my insurance would have went to bat for me things would have turned around. The lawyer i had was worthless he drug it out then stopped working on it. The police there didnt want to help. My car hit the car in front of me i tried to get them to go after my insurance to fix that car buy they didnt want to. I worked and spent some time trying to get things to go my way. I tried to get the person that hit my car to get my insurance to pay for there repairs .The lawyer did get the insurance company to agree it wasnt my fault. I thought and tried to take the person to small clams court but that was a mess. In the end my car was worth maybe $3000.00 and it would have taken $3000.00 to get it. learned alot if your in a wreck you need to make it your number one deal and ride every one into the ground .
Why would you want your insurance to pay for anything when you weren't at fault? The only way they might try to hold you at fault is that you hit the car in front of you. However if you were stopped at a light and it was a chain reaction from you being rear ended should put the blame fully on the person that hit you. If you were moving then they'd try to claim you were following too close but stopped at a light is totally different. The whole thing sounds messed up.
Was in a Private parking lot, went to back out and came to a stop, Guy running a little disengaged ran across the BACK of my STOPPED Pickup where Had witness to that. Go to HIS adjuster for estimate, he TRIES to take photo of my rear damage from alongside the truck, had to take BY THE HAND to the BACK of the truck and take photo. He tried to write it up as I was backing THRU the yard, was standing still and as such sent a letter of Non Responsibility. So I called him told him to retract said statement or next call would be attorney, he laughed I hung up. He called back two days later asked where to send the check as MY attorney had notified him of Pending legal actions, explained could NOT Speak TO Him, he needed to contact MY Attorney and work out details. Seven days later in the Adjuster's Office I received a Check including Pain and Suffering moneys. Looked him straight on, said would have been far more reasonable had he NOT tried to cheat me. HE had to pay my Attorney Fees BTW. It does pay to have a EVIL Little man with a Law Degree on retainer. He also did our taxes until retired.
Just a little info and knowledge can be deadly. I've mentioned it before but an oil change place tried to scam me on a coupon for an oil change and filter. When done they tried to charge me an extra $5 or so because it was more than 4 litres. I said it doesn't state anything on the coupon about a 4 litre limit. Then they said they would let it go... this time. It's false advertising. I knew this because a lawyer did something similar regarding a car wash coupon. Any limits or conditions have to be clearly stated to be enforceable.
You diesel pickup guys need power like this, and no emissions. Look at just how happy this guy is, he's just busting out all over with joy, must be one of his favorite engines by the look on his face. Never seen a happier mechanic.
Oh man that paints a ugly picture. 6-71 and by age style of the pieces a 2 valve head, beyond gutless.
Imagine how grumpy he would be diagnosing a tier 4 p.o.s.
That photo probably came from Trailways. Where's Vetech?
That's about as happy looking as any old Mechanic that knows anything ever gets . . .
Well I know a lot and still have a sarcastic grin.
Thank you.
He muses . . . does a man with a sarcastic grin appear happy . . . . ????????
Depends on the man.
I do
The sarcastic grin just means he is waiting for someone to step in his trap. They won't know what hit them nor where it came from.
Cost of used back when a buck went a lot further.
That mechanic looks like he's done the same thing 1000 times. His expression might be famous if it weren't for the Mona Lisa.
I had to do a double take for a minute I thought that was me!
I was making money on my 671 until June of last year
Thats what people look like when they get up too early in the morning. Gotta like the nice shop he's in too.
At least he gets to stand beside that 6-71 and not laying over a fender or jammed up inside like a dog humping a football
I never liked working on trucks, doing anything.
I never liked working.
I was forced a few times to work on engines in fishing boats. That can be a nightmare.
The only thing worse than an RV to work on is a boat .....
Old friction cranes, forklifts and golf carts also come to mind. Container stackers are not fun either.
Some jobs are fun either to see the finished project or to have a sense of pride that you did it. Truck Shops last truck is a good example. Outstanding craftsmanship!
For me anything automotive or light truck I hate. Never messed with boats tho.
Boats=Detroit's, look at this guy again, study him.
Try it sometime, makes cars fun. Working on a boat: 1) The engine is buried down in a hole. A hole that always has moldy water in the bottom. 2) The engine is this old carbureted pile designed in 1970 3) The engine is cooled with pond water and gets run 2 hours a year. 4) Everything is slimy water/oil nasty. 5) The whole affair is up on a trailer, the sides of the boat are 6' in the air. 6) The whole affair is way out in the parking lot because it doesn't fit in the shop. 7) Did I mention the mold and mildew everywhere?
Nope, he is standing upright. Working on a boat means he is hanging from a rope by his ankles into a hole with an engine in it.
Commercial fishing/diving vessels, RV's, semis, buses, they don't bother me to work on. What bothers me is FWD V6's and V8's to work on, at least a van has a dog house to crawl around on or through.
Nice to know I could use some forklift help.
Everyone left out the King of Crap----The self propelled Rolling **** House aka The Wife's Treasure, The Palace in the Forrest, The Nest at the Beach.------The Motorhome. Those are so wonderful to work on. Get one spot of grease on anything and the owners wife will be thrashing you with her broom.
I've had to appraise them a couple of times in the past. I don't carry those shoe covers in the truck so decided the income was not worth the amount of hassle that went into putting a value on them.
Worked on a friends rolling shithouse ONCE. 440 powered..."your a mopar guy", I'm not. It cost him so much beer he never asked me again. Ed