Curious to know what the average system is in your area, along with cost and what you use to install. Thanks
I'm going to be following this also... I'm interested in how much it would cost for a 1250 gal system.
septic system Lots of info you are not providing. A basic system in this area, consists of of a 1000 gal tank and 3 ft lines, at least 18" deep. This is everything being perfect, no trees to remove, easy to get to the area. $2590.00 18" mound, gravity system, 3 -75ft lines $8500.00 with a pump system, total of $10,500.00 I think we are low on the prices, but no one seems to want to go up, they just keep cutting the prices, so they can work for nothing:Banghead I was using at one time 90% chamber systems, then I went back to rock systems, to save on labor. I think either is good. Hope this helps
there is no "standard system"....there are pressure dosed systems, gravity systems, drip systems, sand mounds, etc... gravity systems are the cheapest...drip and sand mounds are some of the more expensive like Willis said the site also has a lot to do with the cost...and even the inspector...there is one inspector around us that is so hard and unbearable to work with my boss will sometimes add 10% to the cost just knowing he will have to deal with her...(mainly on sand mounds she is a problem) for installs we will use either a backhoe or a mini-trackhoe/CTL combo....depending on the site and what all has to be done
i know, i am in the business so i know about all the different types... im from key west florida and our systems down there start in the $15,000 range... that is my fathers business down there, i have started a business here in Alabama and the most common system is 1,000 gallon tank, 180' infiltrator (300' stone & rock) in 36" trenches... the going rate around here is about $2,800...
boy I thought we were cheap. How much do you have to pay for septic approved rock. We have to pay $24 a ton, plus the hauling. I think the last infiltrator I bought was $16 a panel and the end caps were around $10
16.25 for a 4 foot quick4 infiltrator chamber and right at 12.00 for endcaps... no rock needed for infiltrator chambers... but a tandem load of septic approved rock youre looking at about $225 here in Alabama... In the Keys (florida) a load is $975.
septic cost Here in the great state of NY I am getting $ 10 a foot for standard leach fields installed. For a 1000 gal tank about 1500 installed. Of course most towns now require an engineered system now which can add another grand or two. For a raised bed your looking at about 10 to 12 grand with a pump station. They do require the same line foot of the equalizer chambers as stone and pipe systems here. I just completed a shallow bed system and used on site fill material and that was a 1000 gal tank and 300 feet of leach. It cost them $ 6000,00 plus an engineered drawing.
$ 24 a ton ? what is it gold nuggets ? Here it is 8 bucks a ton for washed # 2s plus trucking. Equalizer 24 chambers are $ 24 for the 8 footers and 10 bucks for the caps.
BIGDAN you been staying busy? in alabama with the 40% reduction i cant see any sense in using stone and pipe.... cost wise its about the same, and i feel like it is a lot easier putting in the chambers... and a lot less of the yard needs to be dug up. if somebody calls and wants a stone and pipe drainfield i actually charge more for that... what is the majority of your work BIGDAN? new installations for new homes or repairs or............?
septic When I started installing, systems, about 10 years ago, the septic rock cost $14 a ton, when the housing boom started, the price started booming. Everybody trying to get rich, but the installers couldnt/didnt go up. Too many hard core old timey installers, that is BS but old well. Then 2 years ago, the state says we need to get certified and be licensed. Cost around $1000 a year, with all the crap that goes with it. Thats the reason I dont do much of it anymore.:Banghead
anyone having problem with this site loading? it sure is slow, might be my internet
I am busy now but did have a lul in business in June and July. I agree if that where true here with 40% less with chambers but it is not. Like I said earlier it is foot for foot the same here. So it cost about $1 a foot more material wise to install the chambers which can add up when your doing 300 feet at a time. I still use the chambers when the site is too tight or wet to get stone in. It is a lot less messing around. The majority of my work I would say would be replacing old failed systems. I am getting more site work for new homes now which comes with a load of work. I also do water services,dig basements,electric, driveways, and hire a masson to do the basements.
down here a arobitc system will cost in the $5,000 range that is if you can get aproved by the county inspector to be able to do it ,
Nice lookin' work BigDan,how do you place your stone on the lines? we (and everyone else I have talked to) were really slow during the summer too, but now we are so busy we will be working well into winter, but thats OK. We have to be all engineered here now too, a lot of the systems we put in are 1000 gallon dual compartment tanks, with the elgen in-drain leach system. The elgens are great because they save on space, sites up here tend to be a little tight so they work great. Not positive on prices, but I think the tanks are around a grand, and the elgens are like 100 bucks a piece. We use the Q24 infiltrators too. In those super hard to get into spots, we can do a 1000 Gal plastic dual compartment with the infiltrators, and use the mini for the whole job. 30" clean up bucket works slick for infiltrator trenches.
In alberta I do an open discharge with a 1000gal tank, 150ft of disharge line for $6,500 A 2000 gallon holding $6,800 3300holding $10,000 3300 water cistern with pressure system $12-14000 last field I did 1200gal tank 300ft field with EQ-36 infaltrater(900sq.ft) $9,500 4 yr ago, I do hear know around $12,000 for the same system. Up to $20,000 for a treatment plant
Most systems in Oregon need to have 375-450 ft of drain-field with a 1000 gallon tank and it doesn't matter if you use rock and pipe or if infiltrator is used it still requires the same lineal footage. The last systems I have done have been in the 6000 dollar range and pump systems with 1500 gal. two chamber tanks add about $1500-$2000 we have to carry a DEQ license and a $15,000 dollar bond. Don't know if I'm going to do it any more though haven't done a system in over a year. isn't worth it to me anymore.
septic I agree, all the BS, really isnt worth the effort. Bond, thats the first Ive ever heard of. Im sure, it doesnt cost biig bucks, for the bond, but its one more out of the pocket thingee. The way we look at it in my area of NC, as an installer, we have the licenses they forced on us. We install the system as per the permit issued to us by the Health dept, we get it 100% inspected, we cover it up and get the cover up inspected. Then Im not liable anymore, as I guess the bond is for, unless its for damage to property and thats what we have insurance for. Ive installed, over 1000 septic systems and only had one fail, I knew it might fail, but Im not the one with the design degree, they had the drain fields in hard clay, it lasted two years. I did put in another system, for them and made it look like I was doing it at cost, but Im not crazy. They (home owners) were going to sue the Health Dept and they told them to go ahead, they had been sued before and never lost one of these claims:Banghead
unfortunetly in the birmingham alabama area there is not much work going on... people are also doing stuff for so cheap im yet to understand why they are even doing anything... the prices that people have told me they paid for some work, granted it is some of the worst work ive seen, is so cheap i wouldnt even consider loading my equipment up and going to work... but anyways, here in alabama you have to have a $15,000 bond as well and go to the boards little training facility for all your testing and classes... but hopefully the building will pick back up soon... i just went into buisness a few months ago, i race supercross and motocross professionally but grew up around equipment and put in septic systems with my father from the time i was 10 up until now in the off season. prob not the best time to start a buisness and expect to be busy, but things should pick up in time.
Wastewater, Buis may be slow but it will be especially slow for the guy just starting out. I figure it took me at least 5 years to get established with a good customer base. Most of my work is through word of mouth and return customers. I ate crow for a while but was lucky to have a working wife and some money put away to fall back on. I started out in the fall and winter just as you plowing snow. I picked up equipment over the winter piecemealing my business together. I never had to barrow money to get started. The banks didn't want to talk to me any way being unemployed and starting a new business. I bought an old 69 c 50 dump and resurrected it rebuilding from stem to stern. I think I payed $ 1000 for it. My first hoe was a J.D. for 6 grand. Then picked up an equipment trailer for about 1500 I guess. Painted everything up nice and went to work in the spring. I to helped my Dad in his excavating business when I was around 10 until I graduated from HS. Your going to have to do work dirt cheap until you get going I am afraid but you still have to make money. Keep over head low, work by yourself, put in long hours and do not waste money. Work as efficiently as you can. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. Learn more than one trade to incorporate into your business. I also am an electrician, plumber, mason, landscaper,Trucker,scrapper, Mechanic. I think we all need to ware these hats to survive today. I still have times that are slow, It's the nature of the beast but you still can't help to worry when it will let up.
yeah i dont expect to be too busy for a while... just started doing some advertising so we'll see how it goes... any good ideas on how to talk to some home builders? just call them and introduce yourself or how have you guys gone about doing so?
It will be difficult to get established with a builder or GC who has been working with some one that they know and trust. It is possible though because contractors like you and I come and go. Some just go out of business for what ever reason. Some relationships go sour. You have to promote your business in every way you can. A good way, like you say, is to introduce your self and be professional when you do. Get some business cards printed up and pass them out. It is important to be reliable and reasonably price as well.
Not only are people around here in the excavating and septic business going out of business, but w lot of home builders have gone out to. When the economy starts turning around and buildingpicks back up fortunetly through my racing career I know a few people who build homes, do flooring, roofing, etc. All who will talk to the main builder to give me a shot. Mainly all of the people I know are the fathers of other young racers. I have noticed there are new home builders opening up, which is who I am going to try to get in with. I am willing to work for a reasonable price and i know I will do the best job possible. As soon as I start doing a few jobs for some general contractors I'm sure they will like my hard work and will appreciate it as well. Like I said, I don't expect to have a lot of work, being new and in the worst economy in my life are 2 things working against me but I am very determined and will wait it out.
Work hard, start early and stay late, give a little extra even if it hurts. You get out of this business what you put into it. You are a wet behind the ears rookie and you know how they are treated... Nothing personal Waste it's just the facts of life. Allot of the time it's not what you know but who you know. So mingle with the crowd, introduce your self and hand them a card. Good Luck to you....:usa
My home building & new construction business is shot for now. New construction is all but dead and I live in an area of wealth. I am taking smaller remodeling jobs I would have balked at just last year when I was busy. I'll never make that mistake again. My equipment is mostly sitting. I got rid of my snow removal business 9 years ago. Luckily, I saved my money and lived rather frugally in the early years. No boats, harley's, corvettes, just decent equipment to get the job done and low overhead is what is keeping me alive. Hate seeing the equipment sit. Mostly paid off so i hate to sell. I really don't know when building will come back. And I think once it does, we'll be living in a changed world. I'm thinking smaller more energy efficient better built stuff and the Toll Bros crap will go by the wayside. I think the "development" lifestyle is fading away and better built custom stuff is going to make a comeback.
Who/what is Toll Bros? Giant Developer?
We just had a new code come into effect here (Alberta) last December, and it jacked prices way up. Now we're anywhere from $15,000 for a simple field with perfect soil (probably once in a lifetime situation) up to around $50,000 or even higher for a mound with advanced treatment. Most jobs are coming in around $25-$35,000. The trouble is, it costs from $2500-$3500 to do all the soil testing and design work just to be able to give a price quote. Customers don't like to hear that they have to spend $3500 just to get a price quote. And it makes it very expensive to get more than one quote. The upside is, we don't need to do as many jobs to make the same money, but the jobs take way longer.
Sounds like the same scam that happened in BC a few years ago when they brought in their new rules. The "certified" guys had a field day with charging what ever the market would bear! I just did my system in BC this past May with the help of a certified installer and the cost came it at about 7000.00 for an infiltrator system. I supplied the hoe but still it would have been around 10 k to have him do it. The perc tests cant be that much $ for the assessment. I dont know what kind of systems Alberta wants but it cant be any more stringent than BC unless your building next to a rocky lake shore.
WELL ! ... here we go again ! I AM a certified ROWP in BC ...from the beginning in '05 when our regs changed .... And am sick and tired of being accused of making a cash cow out of every job we do !!! ...... we did an engineered system this past spring that was in a remote area, and the owner supplied All of the material and he also supplied the equipment to do the job..... (I ran the Machine) .... and once the smoke cleared the customer was SHOCKED at what came out in the end .... Long story short, he found that my labor and the excavating costs removed WERE the cheapest part of the hole job (including the engineer) approx. a quarter of the job It has been my arguement for 5 years now that the materials used are so far over priced that it makes us look really bad, because the end price is what the customers look at ! ....the supplers blame it on the oil prices, so much mat is plastic now, and not to forget the cost of fuel for transportation and since 911 the cost of EO and liability insurance has over doubled. As far as the perc tests and onsite evaluation is concerned ?? ....WHAT is your time worth ??? ...trips to the site, labor, planning, and don't forget cover your ass, and cover it again ... you make a mistake and your butt is grass ..... again WHAT is your time worth, we're not out here to do favors, it is after all business ..... hmmmmm ..... if I have to park an excavator at $120/hr or go to a site and work for peanuts, kiss the customers *** to get into a pissing match over a price war with other contractors prices being held against you ...... WHAT WOULD YOU DO ???? I have been an installer for over 26 yrs and in the last 5 we have not had fun having to fight for every cheque or not even get paid at all. JMHO ! .... and we're sticking to it :Banghead :beatsme :drinkup
10-4 craft. your not alone . seams like thats the case in any earth moveing. pay 150,000 for a excavator 50,000 for a truck and 20,000 for a trailer and the customer still wants you to work for $40/hr. our stuff will sit before we work for that price.
Whoa...didnt mean to strike a soft spot there Craft. I'm just telling you what the customers have told me. There are 2 sides to the story. There are the guys who milked it because they had uneducated customers who didnt do their homework. They gave the song and dance about the new regs and it showed up in their invoices. I have no problem with a guy making a good $ on providing a service. I'm self employed to! My motto has been give the customer what he wants at a fair price and you'll both be happy. So far it has worked for me.
average system around here, south eastern PA, 10-15k. We do a lot of at-grades with peat filters, they usually push over 20k. there is some serious low balling going on however.
Tim- we are looking into a open discharge system simply because of the price. Are they sanitary? Also do they have a nasty smell? We are looking at putting it on a 20 acre parcel. TIA
Open discharge system Tim- we are looking into a open discharge system simply because of the price. Are they sanitary? Also do they have a nasty smell? We are looking at putting it on a 20 acre parcel. TIA
I wouldn't believe open drains are legal anywhere here in the US.
In Missouri, open discharge is not legal for residential or commercial applications. But most small municipalities discharge out of the lagoons, I believe the DNR is the monitoring entity that watches over their discharges.
upnover- I agree with Craft and buckfever. There is a difference between running a business just to collect a pay cheque at the end of the week and operating a BUSINESS that makes a PROFIT. Before you sling mud, you should understand the cost to operate a true business, everything included, not just the material for one job. To adv. wastewater, take a business course or go to a trade show and attend a business related seminar and learn how to calculate your cost and how to mark up material properly to attain a true profit at the end of the year. This includes the costumer who you chase 120 days to a year or more or not get paid at all(yes, this is also an expense to doing business). Learn what your numbers should be and not what everybody else charges. It is a long road to operating a successful business and one you have to go down properly.
A normal conventional septic system that consists of a 1000 gal tank, 3- 100 runs of 22" chambers or 3- runs of traditional leachfield that is constructed with 4" perforated pipe and 6" of clean rock under and 4" over the top starts at $6500.00 min. The site is very simple with good soil that percs/drains well and has no other issues to deal with. The job can be done in most cases in 1 day with 2 men, compact trackloader and mid size excavator. LPP, drip or sandfilter systems start at $15,000 and up. I feel these prices are on the low side of what they should be.
Here in ND, you need min. 1000 gal. working septic tank, and 110 ft. of trench per bedroom of the house. Any more than three bathrooms, add 50' per. More than one laundry, add another 50'. Garbage disposal? Must have 1500 gal. septic and extra 100'. Any trench system (gravelless, rock bed, infiltrator) must be no more than 30" deep to bottom of trench. If using rock bed, must be 18" of rock. Bottom of any trench must be minimum 2' above oxidation layer in the soil. If oxidation layer is less than 4½' down, rock bed may not be used; must be gravelless with clean, sandy topsoil brought in to get minimum 12" cover over top of pipe. If oxidation layer is less than 2', a sand bed mound must be used. Average size for a mound is around 60' by 120' at base, minimum 1' washed sand, 6" rock under leach pipe, foot of soil over top of entire mound. I don't get into the septic work since I went on my own 3 yrs ago, but did it for 20 yrs. with my Dad. The gravelless systems were the cheapest, about $2500 for tank/pump chamber install, then around $10/foot for the gravelless pipe installed. Washed sewer rock around here goes about $30/yd³ or more delivered, so rock beds are about $12/foot. I personally have never liked the look of the domes or chamber pipe so I don't have any opinion on those. Mounds have cost close to $20,000 here. They take on average 350 to 500 yds³ of washed sand at $15/yd³. Plus, about 100-200 yds³ of good topsoil.