Any have some post experience with this? I've got 2007 Kobelco 210LC with practically brand new undercarriage, partially reconditioned motor, total hours are 5500. Very good running machine. Just curious as to what cost to bring it back to life. New paint, some new sheet metal(dents) and some upholstery. Probably new seat. I'm out of Houston Texas. Thanks
Welcome to the Forums Nathan! Glad to have you. What do plan on doing with the machine? A 2007 with 5500 hours is going to be tough recoup the money spent to repaint with today's cost. Seat's are not that complicated, a local upholstery shop can do that including the foam just need to provide them the metal pan of the seat. Sheet metal outside of a junk yard will be very expensive and finding "unbent" panels in a junkyard on a 14 year old machine is a needle in a hay stack. Might want to find a local sheet metal/fab shop that can make some new panels. As far as the paint goes rattle cans work for us however we bring our machines in at least once a year to beat out dents, weld, bondo and touch up paint in order to keep them presentable. Rattle canning an entire machine is not something I would suggest.
Personally speaking, your money would be better spent fixing hoses, changing fluids, etc. If I had to guess, you are probably looking at 15-20k if not more. Lot of man hours for pressure washing, degreasing, removing hoses and reinstalling, painting, supplies, etc.
Doing a spray job will be a lot of work. A lot of prep work. And covering and taping. If you want easier, maybe roll the paint on. Use fine foam rollers which give a pretty smooth finish. Last couple machines I painted, I used Sherwin-Williams Hi-solids polyurethane, which you can spray or roll. Just make sure you clean and degrease the old paint good. Try to sand and prime any rust with a spray can.
why spend money on lipstick, save your money and fix what breaks and just run it, lipstick dont make it run better
Instead of it being a $40k machine due to its current appeal, I believe it would be back around $60k or better after the revamp. I take pride in my equipment, mechanically, and appearance. Oil and gas industry rather new equipment on the job. So I'm trying to have this thing looking it's best.
Kind of an idea of the shape.
You could do a half decent job for little cost. Seems in decent shape just faded paint. Bondo/pull dents and just tape off things like hoses, etc. And if it's purely for looks you can save a fair amount of effort skipping areas like top of boom etc. I am planning to do my Volvo 210 this winter boom is fine I just want to fix a few dents in panels and repaint counterweight. It's amazing how much difference a few days work and few hundred bucks in paint will make. If you're expecting to make a $40k machine a $60k machine though I doubt a paint job will do it and to have any hope of increasing that kind of value the paint job would have to look like new which will cost you hundreds of hours of labor. Based on your pictures, that machine looks decent I doubt it will increase value much. Maybe $5k if you did a fairly decent job?
All I know is when I see fresh paint on an old machine, I run for the hills. IMO you think by painting you are adding value as you are making it look nicer, but in reality you are making things worse off and scaring potential buyers away. just my 2C
The good old "20-gallon overhaul" - guaranteed to generate the run as far and as fast as you can in the opposite direction reaction in most people who know equipment.
I'm not trying to buy, paint, sell like all the other crooks I've dealt with over the years. I just know how good of shape (mechanically) this machine is in and Instead of having to buy a new machine to be brought into a oil/gas facility. I want to repaint, re-upholster mine so that it looks new. So the questions won't be raised by reps on the condition of the machines I'm bringing on locations.
You are trying to put lipstick on a pig. After you get the lipstick applied, it's still a pig. First thing that will happen after you spend the long dollars on a new paint job is you will have the opportunity to buy a much newer hoe for a reasonable price. You will sell your old hoe for less money than it was worth before the paint job. But redo the seat. Your ass will thank you every day.
I like to think of my ol'girl as a brunette after a long night out. She's ruffed up but all she needs is a little "lipstick" to get back right! Lol
If your planning on keeping it then paint it, it will make you love it again. I work on a few of that model with Well over 20000 hours. A few of my costumers traded in really good machines cos they were getting old and looked a little rough. Now they own really pretty machines that are brokedown every few weeks with emissions problem.
Not sure about pricing over there but a costumer painted his machine last year. He fitted two new rear door panels 1100 euros each from dealer. Repainted whole machine from new Holland yellow to kobelco blue Inc. all new decals for 4500 euros. The machine looked brand new afterwards
HA! At least she'll crank when our 325FL is down again for emissions problems..
I don't know about the oilfield, but around here none of the pipeline outfits own any iron. They just bring hands and tools, and have United Rentals, Cat, or some other house deliver and pick up the iron.
You're exactly right! I just purchased a 1998 D5M cat. My favorite thing about it is the cable for the throttle!! No buttons or potentiometers!
Alot I know of own a few and rent a bunch like you're saying.
Big difference between slapping some paint on a old POS, and re-painting a good machine properly to make it look better. One is a waste of time, the other will result in increasing the machines value. If they do a good enough job, work it for a few months 99.99% of people would never know it was painted and could easily assume it was just parked inside and really looked after. Here's one example. Pictures can be deceiving but the new paint makes the machine look a lot better and from what the pictures show, it was actually a decent job. They had a few old pictures up before, and the house is improved 100 fold. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipment-machinery/calgary/2006-hitachi-200-excavator/1589422727
Around here equipment would never get parked inside and paint gets rough after 10 to 12 years by 15 years people assume you run junk because the paints shot I have an 06 314 in similar boat it needs about 20 grand to get the cab sheet metal and a few rams plus paint job So for 20 grand I can have a like new excavator on a machine I own out right I cant loose I just need an extra 20 grand I wont miss
Does it have the fingertip steering clutch/brake controls though?
No DEF = keep 314. I wouldn't hesitate to put the money in and keep on trucking.
Where i work we have a 35d with 6500 hoirs and my boss just did all the pins and bushings and painted it its like a new machine. We have a 75d that just hit 10 000 hours. Last winter they did a few pins and freshend up the engine and it runs like a new machine. It will be getting paint this winter. This winter we will also be painting and doing pins on a 10 000 hour 135d. All those machines run every week and make money. They actually have less down time then the new machines we have.
Way way cheaper to replace the seat than get the old one redone. I took the seat from the grader I recently bought to an upholstery shop and it would have cost $400 to $450 just to redo the seat cushion and just about as much to do the back rest. Ultra Seats is about 45 minutes away and I got a new seat for $360. They had to use an additional strap for $14 to mount it to the existing suspension. Even nicer was they drilled some additional mounting holes and mounted it on the suspension for me no extra cost. I'm waiting for arm rests to come in that are $38 a side. They have a couple fancier arm rests but I just went for the economy ones. I think they have very good pricing for aftermarket seats. Looking on their website I see their prices went up very recently (likely due to covid) but still way cheaper than redoing the existing metal pan seat. Home (ultraseat.ca)
Your looking to do a good job of it being a paint job and fix all the little problems. Take about 6 months of evenings and weekends and 15000ish imo
Maybe in Canada but the upholster shops here in AL are very reasonable. Several years ago I had the seat on our 533 compactor redone for $135 including the foam and vinyl. A new seat from Cat is $1365.40 according to SIS pricing. I'm sure Ultraseat could beat that number twice over but shipping from Alberta to the southern US would be more than the seat would cost if you could get a truck to deliver it in todays screwed up supply chain.
I know Ultra ships all over the world but don't know if they have special shipping rates to the US or a warehouse in the US. If they did would be worth looking into. I almost fell over when the upholstery shop said $400+ just for the seat cushion with new foam. Ultra is much cheaper than Kab and other aftermarket seat suppliers. Funny the same upholstery shop made me a new seat cushion complete with a new wooden base for the 931B for about $200 several years ago. The flip over seat for the backhoe was discontinued by Cat and making a new seat base to replace the rotted out one was about the only option. It was a pretty basic square seat base but I was shocked how much it would have cost to have the grader seat done. Prices in Canada can be ridiculously high compared to what the same thing costs in the US.
Paint job cost, hire some friends and friends kids to help clean it and sand it. I bet it could be done for under $1k.
A good paint job requires sandblasting or some heavy sanding with an angle grinder. A nice shiny paint job from a far can look worse than just normal wear and tear. It needs to be down to bare metal.
Man, tough crowd over here on painting! OP, I have done it. Two of my best friends are career auto painters, and another does a ton at home and has a paint booth. No, I would certainly not get nuts with the prep. If you have any serious gouges, either blend the smooth with a flap wheel or bondo those areas. masking is easy. 3M also makes some plastic wrap that sort of sticks to everything and I would be much easier for hydro lines. Wipe entire machine with a strong keytone. This will remove grease/oil, and break any shine on the old paint. When I say wipe, I don't mean buy a gallon and use paper towels. I mean get 5gal, rubber gloves, a bucket, rags, and respirator. It will not take long but it will do wonders to prep the surface for paint. I would not even waste my time to scuff the machine. OEMs sure as hell don't! the secret in this is the paint! You don't need extreme epoxy paint unless you really want to, but you do want a qualified DTM. You also don't want bargain barn Alkyd crap! At least a high end Acrylic. Urethane is MUCH better (all cars painted with it). It will shine and gleam but you may not like the price. OEMs use an epoxy paint because the paint is also a severe duty protection layer. Think running machines through tree branches and such. I highly recommend you do your own paint work. It is not complicated and when you see one that looks bad, that is usually someone just buying bargain paint, zero prep, and zero plan. Generally the equipment DTM paints are single part (open can and shoot) but do NOT do that. Work with someone who specializes in quality paint and request a hardener. It will make the paint flash faster and the paint will be harder and more durable. Do NOT roll the damn paint on!!!! This is a spray job all the way! The only way I would do it is get the biggest nozzle you can in an HVLP gun. You can now get them at harbor Freight. I would NOT paint a car with one of those guns, but I'd sure paint equipment with it! I would not even waste the time to move machine to an indoor facility. Pick the right day, right after a rain, very low wind, and run a hardener. She will flash in 15min (not tacky). I will never be in the "it's old, it should look like crap" camp. Fresh paint says you care about your equipment, you likely care about the job.
Yeah you're not doing a show car. Good wash and degrease, knock off any rust, blend as needed with a DA or RO and blow and wipe it off. Mask with good tape, plastic and tin foil and go. I've used a lot of Napa's house brand paints with very good luck. Along with those Hobo Freight HVLP guns, nice thing about those is you can get a few devote to each color you shoot and if one gets real messed up trash it get a new one.
“Fresh paint says you care about your equipment, you likely care about the job.” True Dat, Mr. fastline.
You don’t even have to paint the entire machine. Just the areas that need attention. Rear doors, counterweight. Just stay up on it. Make it a maintenance thing, vs a capital project. good golly! Has anyone purchased paint lately, Or, even found paint to purchase?
All the tractor supplies out by us seem to have a pretty good stock of the implement paint they run and that stuff isn't bad either, so is the rusto farm stuff. Industrial specialty coatings, not going to happen right now. All the majors have just said nope. I've had to put some stuff off or explore other options cause the coatings just aren't there.
That’s why I asked. Interesting times. Tried to get some premium SW for a bulk tank project I’m working on. No way. The spray pain isle at the Wasilla Wally World is empty except for bbq black and krylon mauve.
I was going by paint jobs where you clearly see patches of old paint in the new paint. If you have patchy old paint it should be sanded and/or blended out so it is not so noticeable.
I have done many heavy equipment paint jobs in the past. You do want to clean it good with a pressure wash. You do want to sand it some so the paint will grip it. Blow all the dust out from sanding. And then wipe it down with xylene or what ever thinner you are using. Then a primer. Then the color. Unless its a show piece or a factory restoration there is no need to bondo or trying to make it too fancy, it will look just fine.
Has anyone used a professional quality airless paint sprayer to paint equipment ? I have sprayed a lot of gallons in buildings, but often wondered how it would work on equipment with the proper nozzle.
No way. You'd waste a lot of paint filling the lines and pump, plus it would be a nightmare to clean the machine.
We have a Graco airless we use to spray DTM latex on metal structure. It's a pain to clean if you spray oil base or epoxy with it. Takes a lot of thinner or cleaner to flush the machine and lines especially if you have extra line on.
Yeah a few things they've just said no. We're flat out not making that till Maybe some time in 2022ish lol. All the resi/light commercial paint stores here are hard up for gallons and 5s of common paints.
We have had a couple 950 cat loaders and an L70 Volvo painted. They strip them down, degrease, sandblast and paint. New decals and all. one 950 needed new front fenders, and they made them out of checker plate. Not factory, but they did a great job. I think the 950s were around $11000 each and the Volvo was $9600. They did a great job. The Volvo was done around 3 years ago, and the paint is still good, even running it in the winter salt. My grader was only run one winter in the salt, and the factory paint is a rusted to F......
Nothing wrong with painting and fixing up good running older machines.
All I can say is John deere Green keeps me with green in my wallet
But that Deere green is a collector's color. That 3020 or 4020 will sell for twice what it sold for brand new with a coat of shiny paint, even more if the mechanicals work. There is a large population of farmers with cash in their pocket who remember the "Big John" they or their dad bought brand new. Same thing goes for red, as well. Nice looking job on the tractors. Do you hire out?