My Komat'su excavator is all in pieces right now, the seat is out of it, the cab is off and hydraulic lines under the house are being built. While I have it apart, I thought I would ask a local auto seat cover place to estimate the cost to reupholster the seat. The estimate I got back was $575. Seems higher than I expected. Was prepared to pay more like $300. Am I still living in the 1950s with my pricing expectations?
You might be (welcome!). My excavator seat looks worse than that. Cost for a new one from John Deere is north of 2 grand. A trip to the auto store to pick up a seat cover seems to be in my future.
500 is pretty good honestly , like theres nothing left of that, foams deteriorated, so has whatever is on top, leather maybe, that's alot of hours of work to get it back and there's to patterns left hardly to base any of it off, labour rates and material costs have just gone up with inflation, 500$ isn't much anymore it feels
I'm just in shock over the cost. He did attribute it to the lack of patterns and having to rebuild the foam. We're talking over $600 with the tax. Meanwhile, I'm spending about $3500 to have all of the hydraulic lines under the house replaced, so I don't end up spending $1000 to remove the cab every time another line fails, which seems to be about every week now. If it seems reasonable, and the idea is to improve the resale value of the machine ($10K invested in repairs so far since 2020) so I can have my house in rural Japan when I sell the machine.
Seems fair. But, I’m shocked there are still people doing upholstery work. It’s a lost art. There is a local outfit doing winter fronts and DEF tank covers. Very pricy, but quality work.