Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Costs of owning a swing seat boomtruck

Jdgronewoller2 · 2022-11-13 21:24

I’m looking at getting a 40-50 ton swing seat truck mounted crane. Minimum 100ft of stick with a 30-50 ft lattice jib. Obviously there is the upfront cost of the crane anywhere from 150-200 thousand used. But I want to know the operating and carrying cost of owning this machine. Auto insurance, liability insurance, fuel, maintenance, inspections, misc rigging are some that I can think of. Obviously I’d need to get a cdl and nccco certification, what cost can I expect with this? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1crane operator2022-11-15 23:33

    If you don't have the experience to already have your cdl and nccco, I'm not sure the numbers would matter. If you are spending 150-200 for the crane, better figure another 50,000 to get started, and you'll need a place to park it. If you don't have the experience to already have your cdl and nccco, I don't think anyone will insure you, unless its falling under a already existing construction company liability. If you're wanting to do rental, I don't see it happening.

  2. #2John Griffin2022-11-23 13:59

    Most of the insurance companies I talked to want a minimum of 2 years cdl experience or your rates are way high. They look at you like they look at a 16 year old that just got their license. Repair costs are high and a lot of the newer stuff has to go to a dealer. My grove gmk3050 had an electrical cable go bad. $3500 to replace it. Crane parts are very expensive compared to car parts. Tires for my crane are $2200 ea. My boom truck isnt as bad but they are still about $700 for a steer. 385 floats arent cheap. We have a new hire that doesnt have his cdl. We inquires with the local community college as they have a truck driving program. $8k for tuition. With the new federal mandates for certified trainer hours, their price is a bit high at the moment. Nccco school in our area is about $3k.

  3. #3skyking12022-11-23 16:01

    I second all the advice above regarding experience. I can't see getting insurance at all without experience. I also can't see keeping that equipment running without some real-time at the job.

  4. #4Natman2022-11-24 11:26

    Crane parts expense... even for my 30 ton boom truck: I double whatever costs I first think it will be, and I start really high, then when the bill comes in and it's double my already doubled high estimate, it's not too much of a shock.

  5. #5Impact2022-11-26 08:46

    Had to put two tires on our LiebherrAT. $6,800each

  6. #6Natman2022-11-26 10:10

    My Manitex 22101S had a "open cockpit" seat, no cab, and even though I built a roof over where I parked it, the open walls let snow and rain blow in. The winch control would freeze up (no pilot controls) in the winter, the first time the cable broke I got out the parts book and ordered a factory replacement, it was 3 or 4 hundred bucks. It broke a couple years later, by then I was a little wiser, and I had a local farm equipment shop make me one for less then $50.00, that also worked better. My last front tire on the Mack Granite was "only" $1100.00!